If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

M.O.D Barclay for sale

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by ragl, Oct 18, 2013.

1. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
    This is the ebay link for the ex-East Riggs Barclay for sale thro' Ramco:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Andrew-Ba...031?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4613ce4197

There are two others.

A big price!! Anybody interested?

Cheers

Alan

2. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

They are superb engines, saw them at Eastriggs earlier this year. Got their own compressors and mobile power sources. You pays for quality and well maintained kit. A friend of ours from the Talyllyn drew the specification for them personally and got what he wanted. 51 was alleged to be the best one.

3. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
    Couldn't agree more Anthony, they are indeed superb locos. They were originally advertised at £25k, so the price has softened 20%, not quite in value territory yet despite their specification.

Regarding the original speccing for these locos., it seems that there is a good story to relate there - assuming that the State Secrets Act allows the telling!! I'm sure that it would be a fascinating and interesting tale.

Cheers

Alan

4. Dan Bennett

Dan Bennett Member

South Western Railway Fitter
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I spoke to someone at Ramco about these locos back in August when first I heard they were coming up for sale. No. 50 requires a transmission overhaul, and No. 53 & 54 both have battery and starter motor problems and damaged gauges.

5. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

No great secret about the spec for them, I'll check the emails from the gentleman in question, a long time Talyllyn volunteer and former civilian in charge of MoD railways. Fascinating chap.

6. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Anthony, don't suppose your chap would have lists of MOD wagon renumberings for ex-BR wagons would he? Just a long shot, to try to clear up a couple of mysteries, and with apologies for gatecrashing this thread.