If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mainline Grease

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 73096, Jun 7, 2009.

1. 73096

73096 Member

I was cleaning a loco today that has previously been mainline and I found a lot of grease on the bogie, the amount of different colours of grease obviously meaning different types etc. What I was wondering is does mainline grease have to be up to specific specifications and do locos use different greases?

Also on another note how much do you reckon a grease ball would sell for on ebay?

2. Small Prairie

Small Prairie Part of the furniture

Coach Driver
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I dont think many people ( apart from your odd trainspotting freak) would want a ball of grease from a standard 5 . so 50p a ball? plus your postage and ebay fees ...profit of a couple pennys lol

3. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

i shouldnt imagine that the grease used would be any different than that what would be used for a non -mainline engine, isnt there laid down specifications on the type of grease used after all i cant remember us having to use a special greese on any main liner that visited the MHR , but saying that im not that up to date on timken roller bearing locos most having oil lubrication on axles , if there is a new specification for main line lubriction what is it, after all oil breaks down at the higher temperature ratio that you might get on a loco doing 75 mph as opposed to 25mph, and whilst every railway has its own prefered oils, by how much does the oil vicosity change between the brands?