If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Manxman

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by Guest, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Seeing as the housewives of this forum have been at work - and I can't be bothered "asking" for access to a thread, I'm re-starting here.

The Manxman is still at Pallion - and has - inexplicably - been taken off the market.

This may mean nothing at all - but its a very strange development - and I will not be drawn further as to my sources.

2. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    With the price of scrap plummeting & the cost of asbestos removal to be considered, it would probably be most unprofitable to scrap the ship in the near future.
    Surely now is the time to re-launch an appeal for funds to the National Lottery to save her.
    It is very unlikely that Peel Holdings will do any substantial development in the disused areas of Liverpool's north docks in the forseeable future. If the ship could be saved & at least berthed temporarily while restoration work is started. Who knows- people come & go from Peel & they might employ somebody who is pro-preservation in 5 years time.
    Perhaps Merseytravel might help - they are currently wasting millions of our money on a ridiculous attempt at displaying a U-Boat, so the cost of purchasing 'Manxman' would be chickenfeed compared to this.

Bob.

3. GHWood

GHWood Member

This appeared in the Isle of Man Examiner last week.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Make-or- ... 4860538.jp

Possible berth for Manxman at Ramsey as part of a new marina. Lovely idea but have a feeling it is 'pie in the sky' - still here's hoping (is it why it has been taken off the market?).

By the way Frank, do you know if she is berthed on the river or is undercover in the dry dock?

4. 5596

5596 Member Account Suspended

The Manxman is inside the big ship repiar shed at Pallion in Sunderland.

Both are owned by the same Greek squillionaire

5. stan the man

stan the man Member

Does anyone know the latest about this ship? I understand she is still intact.

Lets hope salvation comes to this lovely old lady.

JS

6. Thompson1706

Retired
    Somewhere in Croatia lurks one of her Cammell Laird built sister ships, but scrapping awaits. We're still trying to find which port she's laid up in. As built the sisters were identical, just that 'Manxman' had uprated turbines.

Bob.

7. stan the man

stan the man Member

I have heard this before and find it amazing another sister survives although she will no doub thave been alterered beyond recognition.

Is there any clue as to what ship she is? "Monas Isle" would be nice.

Lets hope both these ships are saved. It would be tragic if we lost the Manxman.

JS

8. ovbulleid

ovbulleid Member

i sit behind my computer clicking on 'view active
    i was speaking to the owner of several shipyards around the country this evening, who knows the manxman well being its neighbour. he said the ship wasn't fit for towing as it was almost falling apart, and any attempt to save it would be scuppered due to the huge amounts of asbestos on it (quarter of a million pounds worth of the stuff, don't kno how he came to that valuation though). he said he didnt think it would even survive towing across the river to his yard, let alone the shipbreakers in hartlepool.

9. Guest

Occasional
    Given what I know from members of the former preservation attempt I would take that assessment with a great big pinch of salt.

She is in extremely poor condition - be in no doubt, but, believe it or not, the alternative interest was for operational use - fully costed.

That interest would not have materialised if her condition was terminal.

10. stan the man

stan the man Member

Lets just hope the "interests" stay interested and buy her.

As long as she survives that is all what matters, doesnt matter where or how.

She is the last of the last!

JS

11. Thompson1706

Retired
    There are lots of these so called experts about. One expert I know is her last Chief Engineer, who has had the ship thoroughly surveyed, & subject to some minor steelwork jobs - basically to make her watertight & pump-outable , she can be towed. Just for your info the turbine blades are in excellent condition & these could be got working quite easily. The biggest cost is probably the asbestos strip.

Bob.

12. stan the man

stan the man Member

It is apparant that she is not a basket case as people have obviously taken the timeto do a proper assesement on her hull and machinery.

Just what will happen to her though? how long can she keep waiting? there must become a time when she will be beyond saving (much like the PS Ryde).

Lets just hope this very special ship is saved very soon to remind future generations of a bygone era (and when Britain was still Great!)

Stan

13. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Did that costing include making her compliant with SOLAS 2010 Frank ?

14. Thompson1706

Retired
    She could only realistically be restored for coastal cruising, because if you wanted to carry passengers basically out of sight of land you would have to fit M.E.S. slides among other multiples of safety equipment & regs.
    Merseytravel have just wasted a sum similar to what 'Manxman' would cost by displaying their butchered wreck of a U-Boat scattered about a car park at Woodside Ferry, Birkenhead. The morons who decided on this scheme are ship preservationists greatest enemy. It's a shame that these people do not consult anybody in the know before embarking on these crackpot schemes.

Bob.

15. 60017

Thats what I thought must be the case. Otherwise a restoration for 'International' voyages would be impossible from a practical (safety) and money point of view.

16. Guest

Occasional
    It was for a Hebridean Princess type operation - and the money was EVER so real.

I can't write more or I will be in trouble.

17. 60017

Talking of 'Pincesses' - the Caledonian Princess has been scrapped in Turkey. Some pics in the current ' Ships monthly.'

18. GHWood

GHWood Member

I have it from several sources (including one ex IOMSPCo Master) that this rumour about the Mona's Isle surviving is unfortunately definitely just a rumour. Apparently it stemmed from someone finding a Cammell Laird builders plate (in fairness, possibly the actual one from Mona's Isle) in the engine room of a ship in the Med (I think). However, it turned out to be just a momento one of the engineers had picked up from somewhere.

According to Richard Danielson's 'Isle of Man Steam Packet' Volume 2 (and John Shepherds' 'So Strong and So Fair'), Mona's Isle (V) left the Mersey for the last time on the 30th October 1980, first to a shipyard in Holland ('Sloop-Berginsbedrifj van de Marec) under tow of the tug 'Afon Wen' before moving onto Van Heygen Freres in Belgium where she was scrapped.

As for the Manxman, it has all gone quiet again on Island .There was talk in January of her being part of Ramsey's Queens Pier possible renovation into a marina but the final outcome of the latest enquiry into this is now not due until September I think. At least while she is intact, there is still hope!

19. stan the man

stan the man Member

Thanks for the info. I am pleased to hear there is a glimmer of hope for Manxman.

It would be great if Manxman could return to Isle of Man.

Lets hope the powers that be see sense and save her for future generations. I will keep my fingers crossed!!

Stan

20. stan the man

stan the man Member

Does anyone have an update on the Manxman?

She is now listed as shortly to be scrapped on one classic ship website, hoping this is not true.

JS