If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

[May 27, 2024] Isle of wight railway steam gala (Ryde)

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Newington, Aug 24, 2016.

Isle of wight railway steam gala
Start Date: May 27, 2024 09:00 AM
End Date: May 30, 2024 09:00 AM
Time Zone: Europe/London +01:00 BST

Havenstreet railway station near ryde Isle of Wight
Ryde Po33 4DS

Posted By: Newington

Confirmed Attendees: 0
You can not RSVP for this event...

The organizer for this event has disabled the RSVP system; RSVP has been closed.
  1. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    There is only one way that you can truly celebrate the end of regular IOW steam, ;) i bet PH is now going :Banghead::Banghead::Banghead: here he goes again :D
    and that would be for by some "accident" the track gang at smallbrook after the last service has ran from Shanklin slew the track from island lines up road to the IOWSR, by mistake and some how an 02 and 4 brighton coaches appear at St Johns with an ivatt on the other end, and a clandestine private charter test train, arrrives at shanklin at 0001 and returns to ryde, then back to smallbrook before the track gang realise their mistake .

2. Newington

Newington New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yes that would have been nice,however for the 55th anniversary who knows. We will have to see what what the franchisees allow the IOW steam railway to do! Think Island line maybe involved in this years celebration . I understand they were asked.

3. Newington

Newington New Member

An update on the Isle of Wight Steam railway May 27,28 & 29 2017 steam event . It has been agreed that subject to the locos passing their annual steam test 4 locomotives will be in steam for the 3 days. Ivatt 41298 ,02 No 24 Calbourne and terrier 8 &11. A special timetable will be produced starting earlier and finishing later than the standard red timetable. All the locomotives will get a turn on the "mainline" This is a rare opportunity to see all 3 ex Island steam locomotives running at the same time. With the expected arrival of the other Ivatt tank in 2017 the regular use of 24 and the terriers is expected to decline from the current level.Workshop tours are also on the menu and by then a start may have been made on the E1 for assessment. There will be more news to post when current ideas have been confirmed.

4. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

Sorry bit confused, where the mainline?

5. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

i hope he means Wotton to Smallbrook, :) the only other " mainline" on the island is Ryde to Shanklin, unless there is an very important announcement due soon, i would think he means the IOWSR's own metals, as to Mainline, nearest has to be the other side of the solent :D

6. Newington

Newington New Member

Did not mean to confuse you but "mainline" as opposed to sidings on brakevan rides that's what I meant. Yes Wotton to Smallbrook . Our stock does not fit the Island line loading gauge now.

7. AnthonyTrains2017

Family holiday to I.O.W end of September this year, delighted there's a diesel gala on that weekend, sept 30th being my birthday.

8. Newington

Newington New Member

There are plans to have a guest diesel over for the event and as soon as it is all signed up and Wightlink can bring it over then I will post it here. If it comes off then your visit to us will be very special. The event will go ahead even if we cannot transport a loco over. The May steam gala plans are shaping up, there will be no visiting locos this year. The plus side is that it is intended that 4 locos will be in action (2 terriers, the o2 and an Ivatt) The locos will swap at Havenstreet after each trip, there will be some double heading (terriers). One train will be the Ventnor west push/pull set and terrier No 11 (Seating limited) in the afternoon. This is the basic plan. There is another plan that is better but that relies on a vehicle being finished,tested and signed off in time. The guys are working hard to do it, If it comes off it will be a first in preservation! The basic plan isn't bad though is it! Keep tuning in and I will update as the date gets nearer for both galas. We also have a real ale train this year on July 15th as our coaches have no corridor connections I think this is again a unique method of operation. All the aforementioned is subject to the locos and stock being available on the day of course. The railway web site will have more details as well.

9. AnthonyTrains2017

Will keep eye out, do u do driver experience at diesel gala? Fantastic birthday present.

10. Newington

Newington New Member

Not at the moment , we only do footplate experience (not driving) on steam. The railway are looking in to Driver experience for the future but there is a lot of internal regulation to sort out.
    Newington

11. AnthonyTrains2017

Is there a thread for 2018 diesel gala, seacrched but can’t locate

12. Newington

Newington New Member

There is no thread for the 2018 diesel gala yet as we are still looking at loco hire options. Plans are well advanced for the Ivatt gala over the Maybank holiday.That will be a great event.
    As terrier 8 is in its last year of10. There is also a one off event in August to mark it’s withdraw al. It is hoped to run a3 train service. 2 terriers on 4 wheel trains And Calbourne on the bogie set.

Fred Kerr and paulhitch like this.
  13. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    I am keen to see the pair of Terriers at work hence any gala event with both locos would be most welcome - as would early notice of such an opportunity to make the necessary arrangements.

14. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

It's also 140 years since W11 won her gold medal in Paris. The medal itself disappeared long ago and the IOWSR very likely could not afford it should it re-appear. However the illuminated address presented by the L.B.S.C.R. Board to Stroudley is owned by the railway.

PH

15. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Well, I shall be making at least one visit in 2018. I'm still kicking myself for missing the 33 visit in October, but there was just too much going on at home. Great to see Calbourne again, and who can resist Terriers on 4 wheel coach trains?

John

gwalkeriow likes this.