If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mersey Moorlander: Every Monday in August (Compass Tours)

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by acorb, Jan 10, 2011.

1. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Received an email from Compass Tours today and tucked in at the end is this series of tours, circular north over S&C and return via Shap from Crewe & Liverpool. More interestingly though is that these are steam hauled (from Lime St) in association with West Coast and marks a departure for Compass away from it's traditional diesel hauled days out. No mention of motive power, though I would expect it to be Carnforth based! Not bad value at £69..but in direct competition with Railway Touring Co who are promoting the same trip in opposite direction on August Saturdays but at £79...(with no Crewe pick up!). Granted northbound up Shap is more of a draw and wouldn't mean booking time off work!
    Details: http://www.compasstoursbyrail.co.uk/

2. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Never heard of Compass Tours before. As the two previous posters have put it does give RTC some competition in the summer.

3. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Since the trains all start from Crewe (as shown on UKsteam.info), it looks like a way to get more use from the "Crewe Pool" locos and stock, thus reducing overheads for everyone. 4 days out of 7 for 5 weeks is not bad, provided there are enough loco support crew and train stewards, not to mention footplate crew and guards.

Monday: Mersey Moorlander
    Wednesday: Fellsman
    Friday: Scarborough Flyer
    Saturday: Cumbrian Mountain Express
    Sunday: Waverley and (sometimes) North Wales Coast Express.
    That's quite a programme. Just waiting for the Scarborough Spa Express programme for the full summer picture "oop North".

4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Looks like being a busy time in the Crewe area, 4 trips a week for 5 weeks with 3 a week for a lot more. I would imagine the locos would perhaps do two max as the support crew will be pushed to do more, train staff, now that's another story.

5. mattspencer

mattspencer Well-Known Member

Before this they have run diesel hauled charters and have been going for a few years now. They have also changed TOC this year from DBSchenker to WCRC.

6. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

My dad has done several diesel trips with Compass and was very impressed. Seem to be very good if you want a day out in Dundee this year! From the way the website reads it suggests WCRC providing a Carnforth loco & stock (like the Statesman operation) rather than a private hire Crewe engine, so perhaps 46115, 5690 or 44932 if they aren't on Scarboroughs. Crewe pool looks to be 60019, 6100 & 6201 for RTC. Good point on unhappy Liverpool based RTC customers...

7. Mike Wylie

Mike Wylie New Member

Engine Driver
    Compass arn't tied to a particular TOC. We DRS have worked a few of their trains with class 47' ow'er the Midland for example.

Have just looked at their web site, they are indeed tied up with WCRC next year. Apologies. No more blue 47's on blue and grey stock, hey ho.

8. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

And there is also the Monday to Friday summer steam service over the Cambrian Coast again to add too. This could be a very busy, exhausting but exciting summer this year :)

9. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

Ooo err! Could it be a case of "this town ain't big enough for the both of us?" Four trips a week on the S&C in at least one direction. Yes I know they're on different days but is the market large enough to fill all trains? And if it isn't, will it stick with the established brands or move to the slightly cheaper New Kid on the (steam-hauled) Block?
    I foresee an interesting summer with perhaps one or two dates cancelled for lack of bookings, and some very tightly crossed fingers about the availability of advertised motive power. Hope it all comes off in the end though.

10. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

and Tuesday [well at least 3 Tuesdays] features "The Welsh Mountaineer" Note this runs Tuesday not Wednesday in 2011.

11. RalphW

Just had information that the Mersey Moorlanders will not be steam hauled out of Lime Street. It appears that NR are not allowing this to take place. So it means, train top and tailed by diesel Crewe to Lime Street and then Preston. Steam light from Crewe, turning at Lostock Junc then joining train at Preston to go outward via Blackburn and S&C. The return, via Shap, will detach the steam and Preston, attach diesel and proceed back to Crewe via Liverpool. Steam will run light back to Crewe.

Now since RTC were to use the steam hauled in reverse procedure on their Saturday CMEs as the Moorlander was planned to be, are they going to have to do the same thing, or is it only a weekday restriction?

Less that 2 weeks to go and the rules are altered. :frusty: Is this becoming a habit.

12. 6:05 special

As I understand it this has nothing to do with Network Rail. The Mersey Moorlander is to be worked by locos from the Carnforth pool as has been advertised all along and the change is to reduce the cost light engine running between Carnforth and Crewe where the steam loco would need to be attached. The signalling does not allow a steam loco to be attached at LIme Street. I also believe the steam loco will come off at Carnforth on the return journey. The Crewe pool has been paid for by RTC solely for use on their trains and RTC trains will run with steam out of LIme Street as per 45305 this Saturday. However time will tell!

13. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Interesting about not being able to attach steam at Lime Street, does that apply to other types of motive power?

Cheers
    Dave

14. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

It is an interesting point as Vintage Trains are taking 5043 to Liverpool Lime St in October steam hauled throughout.

15. 6:05 special

No. I was referring specifically to the Mersey Moorlander which sorry I did not specify. I think it is a maximum of 12 vehicles including locos which can be accommodated.

16. RalphW

But I have seen the timing sheets which show the loco travelling up from Crewe to Preston, 5.42 out of Crewe, 7.00 at Preston, then running back out of Preston to turn at Lostock junc.

The restriction does not seem to apply to the RTC runs via Liverpool on Saturdays.

daveannjon, Steam is not attached at Liverpool, it comes in on the back of the train from Crewe.

17. Cambrian55

Cambrian55 Member Friend

Engineer.
    I cannot see how RTC can stop the loco owners taking on other work in the area on days when not booked by RTC.

18. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    What prevents a steam loco from being attached? A diesel is able to, and I've seen it done when a 47 was attached to the rear of 6201 last year. So long as the total consist does not encroach onto the track circuits past the starter signals it should be ok surely?

19. 6:05 special

see post #15

20. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Ah right, missed that post!
    Cheers.