If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mid Hants - "Watercress Lodges" at Ropley

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by domeyhead, Apr 16, 2013.

1. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

Was disappointed on my last visit to Ropley to see the row of holiday "lodges" (ie houses) being built just to the north of this lovely rural location. When I look at the Facebook page this gives the impression that it is a development of the railway itself but is it? Or is it all the financial benefit going to Dean Farm?
    Can someone let me know whether this is a joint venture, or just an example of one business exploiting another?
    Has there been much dialogue between the MHR and the farm on this? Last I heard the adjacent farmers always tended to be hostile to the railway until they began to realise how to make money from it!

2. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

The article that has appeared on the main watercressline website certainly gives the impression that the railway are in favour, even enthusiastic, about the development.

3. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

4. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I suspect the old bridge will be given over to sole use of the MHR, providing there is nothing wrong with it structurally.

The new bridge being put in will meet the needs of Disability Access requirements as it will have lifts for wheelchairs ect, also making it easier for wheelchair visitors joining the MHR at Alton to gain access to the MHR platform.

5. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

6. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

Yes, if there's nothing structurally wrong with the old bridge, then there is no reason they would bother spending money on removing it or doing anything else with it.

Similar to the situation at Southampton Airport station. They built a new bridge a few years ago so that disabled people were able to cross the line. However there was nothing wrong with the old bridge, so it has remained in place as a useful second crossing between the platforms.

7. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

I also see Adershot is having a new bridge installed.

8. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

Ca we keep this thread on topic please? Does anyone know the relationship of the Watercress Lodges enterprise to the MHR itself?

9. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

10. Unfortunately this doesn't hold true at several Scottish stations where they have recently put in new footbridges. They have promptly removed the old ones.

11. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

The lodges are not owned or operated by the MHR. We beleive that they offer a useful facility for people wishing to visit the area and our railway in particular. The creation of the lodges has also enabled the creation of a new 50 space car park that will open later in the year.

12. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Are you sure.. the artists impression shows it sitting in exactly the same spot as the former ?

13. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

If it's any help there's some photo's here showing it under construction near the north end of the station.

Chris

14. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

Hmmm - it sounds as though this is a fait acompli rather than a collaboration 21B!
    My opinion (and it is only that) is that the rare ambience of one of the nicest country stations in the south has been destroyed permanently by this housing development ("Lodges" is just a weasel word). Moreover, this touches on something PaulHitch alluded to in another thread. People staying in the lodges are not automatically going to pay to travel on the railway. THey have a Grandstand view to watch the fun for free. Will the railway keep someone posted to prevent families from hopping over the fence to watch THomas events gratis? I doubt it. Dean Farm are capitalising on the railway's goodwill by appearing to be part of it, but it sounds as though they are not.
    One other point - is the car park you refer to the one on the up side accessed just after Bighton Road rail bridge? Surely that has always been there, though - why does that depend on these holiday chalets?

15. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

Chris - can you start another thread to discuss this please - a lot of members want to know about the lodges at Ropley and their relationship to the MHR. The bridge is a different subject.

16. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

Really? last time I was there , there was a massive engine shed built on the goods yard...

17. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

I suspect he's probably referring to the picnic area and miniature railway, or the Harry Potter bridge… mainstays of country stations… ;-)

Personally, I think it's a great idea. Encouraging tourists to take an interest in the railway is a good thing (even those that don't stay at the lodges might see them and think 'oh look, a steam train'), and the MHR is part of an ecosystem of businesses that need to work together to extract maximum dollars from visitors to the region. Heritage railways of all kinds can't exist in a bubble.

By the same token, neither can farms, and given the potential for a more lax planning regime to have allowed the landowner to flog the land off for a small estate of starter homes, you should be grateful that the project appears to be sensitive to the railway rather than competing with it.

It would be good if the MHR was a bit more joined up with other farmers/producers in the area. I've been looking for refreshments at both Alresford and Ropley in recent years, and found both pretty disappointing. Fortunately there's a really lovely coffee shop/Deli in Alresford so spent my money there instead.

Simon

18. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

Okay I accept that is a fair point! It requires a bit of artistic license when standing on the platform not to look to the right. But the view from the down platform across to the skyline beyond the up platform was very pleasant, but now it is "boxed in".
    Interesting point ref the co-operation. Back in the eighties the relationship with neigbouring farms at Ropley was very poor - in fact it was hostile. I don't know the reasons but I suspect the farmers had to put up with bad parking, trespass etc with no corresponding benefits, so their antipathy can be understood. 30 years later perhaps the farms are now in the hands of the next generation, who are perhaps a little more creative.
    Having said that I believe this new situation is the opposite way round, and I do not think the lodges will materially benefit the railway at all. If you look at the Lodge's Facebook page you cannot be unaware of the railway as the primary attraction so the question is whether the lodges would lead to increased ridership and revenue. Even if they did the overall contribution would be small, and I suspect many holidaymakers would be content to watch the trains rather than ride on them, but I hope to be proved wrong.

19. Kingscross

Kingscross Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Mid Hants - "Watercress Lodges" at Ropley

I am surprised to learn the lodges and campsite are not owned or operated by the MHR, I assumed the railway stood to benefit financially from operating holiday cottages à la the camping coach at Goathland NYMR.

It will be much easier for a landowner to secure planning permission for change of use of holiday lodges to residential dwelling than planning permission for new houses in the open countryside! Just a thought...

20. With respect, sir, the comparatively few posts on this topic don't look to me like 'a lot' of users are interested in the topic. Might it not actually be a bit more truthful to admit that you don't want your vocal antipathy towards the subject to be diluted be any tangential posts? The evidence of the thread so far seems to point in the direction of you being in a minority of more-or-less one.

Now, about this plan to build a new footbridge at Ropley (complete with lifts) to access these holiday shacks. Will the existing one be demolished when it's completed? :biggrin1: