If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Middleton Railway Gala- 19th/ 20th sept

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by JohnRobinson, Sep 15, 2009.

1. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

Just realised its the Middleton Gala this weekend - just checked their webby for details of what is running aand it just states "Extensive timetable" & trips and guardsvan rides down to Balm Rd. Any clues what is running?

http://www.middletonrailway.org.uk/index.htm

Went last year and it was one of the best I attended all year for loco movements & value for money - so trying to attend again this weekend.

john

2. ahardy

ahardy Member

Hi John.

Yep its that time of year again, this time we have two steam (MSC 67 and MW Sir Berkeley) in steam alongside LMS 7051 and Brush D2999.

Departures from Moor Road are:

Time Direction Stock Locomotive
    10.00 Park Halt Passenger John Alcock
    10.10 Balm Road Freight D2999
    10.40 Park Halt Passenger MSC 67
    10.50 Balm Road Freight John Alcock
    11.20 Park Halt Passenger Sir Berkeley
    11.30 Balm Road Freight MSC 67
    12.00 Park Halt Passenger D2999
    12.10 Balm Road Freight Sir Berkeley
    12.40 Park Halt Passenger John Alcock
    12.50 Balm Road Freight D2999
    13.20 Park Halt Passenger Sir Berkeley
    13.30 Balm Road Freight John Alcock
    14.00 Park Halt Passenger MSC 67
    14.10 Balm Road Freight Sir Berkeley
    14.40 Park Halt Passenger D2999
    14.50 Balm Road Freight MSC 67
    15.20 Park Halt Passenger John Alcock
    15.30 Balm Road Freight D2999
    16.00 Park Halt Passenger Sir Berkeley + MSC 67
    16.10* Balm Road
    then to Park Halt. Freight John Alcock and D2999
    16.40 Balm Road Passenger Sir Berkeley + MSC 67

Trains marked in italics are NOT in public use. Passengers are able to travel in the brakevan on freight trains for a small extra supplement.
    The train marked * is an all line train, traveling down Balm Road and then running to Park Halt via Moor Road loop. This train wont retun to Moor Road until 17.00.

Ticket prices are adult £6.00, child £3.00, Familly £15.00 (two adult three children).
    Brakevan supplements are I think £2 per person per journey, but dont quote me on that one.

The freight train at this gala will see the first use of the Middleton Colliery livery wagon (see photo).

Trains on the move pretty much all the time, with plenty of loco swaps etc to watch at Moor Road between the train services.

All locomotives except 67 face up the hill towards Park Halt.

If anyone attends, please say hello, I will be at the groundframe at Moor Road both days. If you have any questions, please ask.

Thanks

Andy H
    Traffic Mangager, Middleton Railway

ps. I apologise that the table has lost its formating. I cant seem to get it to display right on here.

Attached Files:

3. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

Thxs Andy - How many around station movements for that timetable? - more than last year? ;)

4. ahardy

ahardy Member

John, Its about the same as the timetable is based on a slightly modified version. I dont think the pilotman would like me anymore if I tried to cram anything else in!

Andy

5. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

Thxs Andy for the very friendly greeting by yourself and the staff this afternoon. Its a pity I could only make it for the afternoon - I had only time for one trip upto Park Halt as well with all that was going on at Moor Road - it seems just as busy as last year and more freights down to Balm road this time as well. Maybe when Ive more time I will go on the workshop / museum tour - ran out of time this visit.
    Excellent afternoon out !
    Posted some pictures from the afternoon at link below (captions to be added later in week}
    http://john-robinson.fotopic.net/c1757121.html

John

6. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    Hi,

Thanks for the information. I didn't know about the gala but I was, given I study in Leeds, hoping to visit at some point anyway. I'll see if I can get down there at some point this afternoon.

Regards

Duncan