If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

My big idea of how to restore THREE Merchant Navies... Bear with me, its a good one!

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by JMJR1000, Aug 13, 2010.

1. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

I know... It sounds to good to be true, but I have thought it well through!

So here's my idea... You see, I recently got inspiration from the "Dinmore Manor Locomotive Limited" group, the way they restore/overhaul their engines is by having an engine constantly in traffic, therefore have constant revenue (money) to do the work on a other engine. This system that they use is (in my oppinion) very good. So it made my think... Whats wrong with using the same system on like say, a thew Bullieds!

Note: From here I will tell you (step by step) the exact idea that I have come up with, but do know that the basic principle of the idea could/can be used on the other MN members (or any locos for that matter!), mine's very pacific with perticular locos and my vision of what I would do...

And please, if you could give me your full honest opinion/thought on my idea (I won't bite) i.e. do you think it would work? Is my idea plausible? I'd much aprecaiate it. And if you have your own big idea/plan that you think would/could be good if it happened. Please I'm all ears. Thank you.

I know... It sounds far-fetched but I really think it could work! If their was someone or some group that could did do this, I'm certain that it could work! Just look below:

1. Buy 35018 "British India Line", 35022 "Holland-America Line" and 35010 "Blue Star".

2. Restore 35018 while at the same time build facilities that would have a workshop capable of accommodating 2 MNs, i.e. 1 in for restoration/overhaul and 1 in for standard or emergency maintenance/repair work, and a museum/display/storage area accommodating 1 or 2 MNs (so overal a facility capable of accommodting 4 MNs. If they/somone would want 4 MNs that is!).

3. Once 35018 is running begin restoration of 35022 (into original as-built condition, That right folks, as-built condition!).

4. It gets a bit complicated for both 35010 & 35022 so from here there are 2 possible plans I've come up with:

Plan A:- If 35022 isn't completed before 35018's boiler certificate runs out then fast track overhaul 35010's boiler to replace 35018's, therefore allowing it to continue in service. Then overhaul and use 35018's boiler for 35022 when restored.

Plan B: If 35022 is completed before 35018's boiler certificate runs out then restore 35010's boiler for 35022 to have ultimately when it returns to service.

I warned you it was complicated...

Note: Just to make it clear on a few things, whether its Plan A/B that is used, in the end, 35010 would be restored using 35022's boiler (which originally belonged to 35027 "Port Line") and cylinders (since one of 35010's cylinders are broken, and I don't think you could use the cylinders with 35022 anyway, If restored to as-built condition). I would choose 35022 "Holland-America Line" to be restored to as-built condition because from what I hear of it, it probably doesn't many parts left (apart fom the wheels, frames and boiler). Just what you need since there probably isn't that much from a rebuilt MN that you could use for a as-built one.

5. Finally after all of that is done, continue process whereby there is at least 1 MN in service so that there is continuous resources of funding coming in for overhauling 1 of the other MNs, with the third on display. Basically my principal of having just 1 overhauled at a time (concentrating resources on 1 job at a time. You can't go very wrong with that method!). So ultimately there would always be 1 of the MNs in service (sometimes 2 and on rare ocasions 3).

Once again, thank you for sparing your time to have a look at my thread.

2. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    Re: My big idea of how to restore THREE Merchant Navies... Bear with me, its a good o

This process is actually used in essence with the welsh highland and the NGG16 locomotives there. 143 was running with power bogies from 138 towards the end of its ticket and 143 is due back with 140s boiler I believe. The only issue there is 87 and I think 109 are slightly different in design so dont have common parts. No reason why it couldn't work with batches of standard gauge engines.

Regards
    Duncan

3. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Re: My big idea of how to restore THREE Merchant Navies... Bear with me, its a good o

All you need now is a million quid.

4. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Nearer two million if you take into account the purchase, and the restoration building, and turning out just one running engine......

Perhaps raising the starting finance is the subject of his next posting.

5. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

I've been trying to see an anagram of Jeremy Hosking in JMJR1000 but I can't see it :)

6. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

So it's quite an expensive plan?

So it's an expensive and labour-intensive plan?

I should think once 35018 is running, take a break for a bit! (That is, aside from ironing out the inevitable niggles).

I'll stop here.

7. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

Very expensive. Looking between 1 and 2 million for the 3 locos and maybe another 1 to 2 million on each overhaul.

8. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer

And just where would the work come from for more MNs in service? - they are not exactly light on coal use.

9. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder

And I believe the owner of 35018 is unfortunately like some owners who sit on a semi-complete loco and won't let go of it for love nor money.

10. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Its certainly an interesting plan. As has been pointed out it would need a lot of capital to start with. How confident can you be that it would be self-perpetuating after that?

11. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader

Yes too true! What exactly happened to 35018? I remember seeing it in Ropley workshop back in the 1990's looking like was the restoration was going really well when it all suddenly stoppped and was put in a siding. Then it's next shipped off the Portland Island and nothing's happened since.

12. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION

I understand that the owner either had to pay storage fees or take the Loco away, he chose the latter.

Like a lot of Loco owners with pipe dreams he has no money.meanwhile it sits in the salt air rusting away.

I rest my case.

Chris Willis:

13. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader

Thanks Chris, what a pity, I'm sure 35018 would've made an excellent addition to the mainline or a preserved railway. If only I could win about £40mil on the euromillions!:smile:

14. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Going back to the plan, isn't this what, in essence, Southern Locomotives have tried to do with their Bulleids? It doesn't seem to be a self sustaining model because they have to keep going their shareholders for more money.

15. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

a good plan in theory...and doesnt it make sense to save some of these unwanted 8Ps rather than build new ones?

16. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

And Southern Locomotives sold both their MNs to concentrate on smaller locos. With a WC/BB, there's a fighting chance that a preserved line will run it frequently enough to give you steaming fees between main line trips, but there are precious few preserved lines that can truly justify a MN for more than gala weekends - so you're down to trying to make money from a crowded mainline market.

Tom

17. Edward

Edward Member

It's unlikely that you'll earn enough from running one loco to fully fund its next overhaul, let alone generate enough to finance rebuilding a second. If there was a magic formula to pay for steam loco overhauls, I think someone would have found it by now.

18. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired

I'm going to have to quote "Blackadder Goes Forth" on this one....

"But this is a sort of a war isn't it Sir?"
    "Ah yes Baldrick, there was just one tiny flaw in the plan."
    "What was that Sir?"
    "It was boll00ks."

Lots and lots of money and lots of volunteer skilled workers and you will still be lucky to keep any ex-Barry locomotive running but especially a relatively complex and large beast such as a Merchant Navy (awesome though they are).

19. nickt

nickt Member

The Southern Locomotives Ltd model works well; it's raised around two million pounds over the last 20 years and, combined with rental fees, they can afford to employ five full time staff plus volunteers. In this way they restored Port Line, 257 Squadron, 80078, 80104, Eddystone and Manston. Their Austerity is nearly complete and Sir Keith Park should be finished next year. That leaves Sidmouth for the future, plus 257 which needs a major overhaul having run from 1990 to 2003. However, rental fees alone will never generate sufficient cash to restore and maintain locos, particularly if you're starting with Barry wrecks. That's why they need to continue to raise money from their existing 700 shareholders, plus new supporters. The good news is that they all get an annual opportunity to drive and fire a loco:

http://www.southern-locomotives.co.uk/Company/Shareholders_Scheme.html

20. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

I think perhaps MNs may be a non-starter but the basic plan has to be a good one doesnt it? It would certainly be do-able if you had three panniers or 45xx 2-6-2t....if