If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

N2 TANK DEBUT ON GCR

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Rick.E, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Rick.E

Rick.E Member

RETIRED
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi all,
    GCR N2 Tank made its first passenger carrying runs on the GCR Sat 20th June. Is running on sunday!
    Looks stunning! http://rickeborallphotography.fotopic.net/ to see my efforts!
    ATB

2. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

I think you'll find its first passenger runs on the GCR were in about 1978.[/pedant]

More importantly, the driver of 78019 on tonight's dining train thought the N2 might not be running tomorrow, so if anyone is making a special trip, I suggest you check by calling the GCR before setting off. (If it isn't, the other engine in steam this weekend is 48305).

Phil

3. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I've always had a soft spot for the N2s. Sounds rediculous, but it probably comes from the Hornby Dublo one I had as kid!

So well done to all involved; she looks superb.

4. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Fantastic finish on the engine, well done to all involved. Nice photos \:D/

5. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Lovely stuff, Rick. Next time I'm going to be near the GCR is 11th July (when Ollie goes down the Midland to York). It would be lovely if 1744 were running that Saturday. Really looking forward to seeing her paired with the teak carriages on the SVR.

6. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles

Thanks for the link. She looks magnificent. Nice to see her in GNR livery at last. Bring on the Quad-Arts.

7. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Superb photos! Thanks very much for posting them. I'm looking forward to my next visit to the GCR!

8. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Stunning paint job! Well done all.

What's with the Cemetery sign on Lufbra station in Rick.E's photo? I can only think of Cemetery Gates, but wasn't that in Hull on the NER?

9. Rick.E

Rick.E Member

RETIRED
    Loughborough station is being used as a film set for this week! It actually says cemetary station. But your not supposed to notice that as its all very hush hush!!
    I don't think its meant to relate to any real station. That was not the only change on the station but we will have to wait until the film is released to see the rest!
    The station is closed to the public untill Sat I believe. See GCR website for more info!
    ATB

10. mcjlf1

mcjlf1 New Member

Engineering Manager
    It's probably something to do with the new Ricky Gervais/Stephen Merchant flim, Cemetery Junction, which is supposedly set in the 70s.

http://www.rickygervais.com/thissideofthetruth.php

"So we finally decided on the title of our film set in the 1970's about class and love in a small town"...

11. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

Doubtless that some 23 year old set designer will worry about getting the correct 1972 Habitat table lamp for a scene but allow glaring anachronisms with the transport. And it won't just be railways that are wrongly featured; the wrong cars and lorries are just as likely.

Cheers
    Alan

12. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

Does the N2 condensing gear still work?

13. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    .... and if so how? I've always been intrigued by that Loch Ness monster on the tank. I wonder where there's enough surface area to condense the steam if it's just a loop of plain pipe?

14. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Apparently not, but someone else will have to help with the technicalities!

15. NickF

NickF New Member

I presume the condensing gear must work in a similar way to that used by the Beyer Peacock Met Tanks. After entering the water tank the exhaust steam pipe ended pointing downwards just above the opening of another pipe that led below the water down to the bottom of the tank. There it split into two, pointing fore and aft and these pipes were perforated. The steam thus passed over the surface of the water and through the below water pipe as well - I am assuming this break in the pipe was to avoid back pressure. There were exhaust vents above the water to let the excess steam out, of varying designs on the Metropolitan locos and an elegant arch on the District Beyer Peacocks. The water would of course heat up, making injectors unusable, so feed pumps had to be used. When the water got too hot to condense it had to be dumped down specially constructed drains at various stations and refilled with cold. Having said all this, most drivers resented the lack of blast to draw up the fire and were reluctant to use condensing mode unless they were liable to be found out. I have more to drone on about this subject, but I can see you are dropping off! But I will say it's a pity if the condensing gear doesn't work on the N2: I would LOVE to hear the bubbling noise!

16. NickF

NickF New Member

Re: N2 TANK DEBUT ON GCR - more condenser fun!

But what about the droplets of grease and oil in the exhaust steam? Do they not damage the boiler after they are deposited in the water? Well, yes, they do, but not so much if you change the water frequently, as the locomotives working the sub surface lines did. Oil separators were used on those big South African condensing locos which had to recycle their water over and over again but weren't considered necessary for the London lines: incidentally, if anyone knows of the operating practices of the Mersey Railway re condensing I'd love to know. Releasing 1000 gallons or so of near boiling water down a sluice had its consequences. At Aldgate the Metropolitan Railway had to build its own sewer to the Thames for this purpose after complaints from householders highlighted the drawbacks of connecting to the common sewer, as had been the original set up. As the rush of steaming, scalding water made its way down, there was, shall we say, back up in the feeders, so unfortunate people sitting on the loo had an unwelcome surprise of boiling hot sewage squirting upwards...a sort of Victorian bidet.