If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NE Region DMU Destination Blind

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by Sir Nigel Gresley, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Sir Nigel Gresley

Sir Nigel Gresley Member

Retired Soldier of Fortune
    For several decades I had in my possession a NE Region DMU destination roller-blind, obtained from a dump at Neville Hill. The blind featured many long-closed lines, such as the Hornsea and Withernsea branches, the Wetherby lines, Scarborough to Whitby, and Malton - Pickering - Grosmont.

About seven years ago I made one of my far-too-infrequent visits (I live in Dorset) to the NYMR, my favourite preserved line, and gave the blind to a group of personnel in the crew-room at Grosmont shed, for use on the line's DMU. There were no DMU group members present, but those present agreed to pass the blind on to the DMU group, and my son took a 'phone call, at home, several days later acknowledging the receipt of the blind.

I was, therefore, somewhat abashed when visiting the NYMR a couple of years ago, to see the DMU with a home-made blind at both ends. In the following two years I have made numerous enquiries with all relevant personnel at the NYMR, including Philip Benham, in an effort to locate the blind and, if it is not required, have it returned, as the lines featured have great sentimental value from my youth.

This saga has, unfortunately, cast doubt on what I had intended to do with my collection of railwayana, which includes numberplates, worksplates, whistles, and the Station Master sign from Market Weighton (not too far from the NYMR!).

I would be grateful for any information concerning the blind.

[Posted in Diesel & Electric Traction and Railwayana forums]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]