If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Nene Valley to Offer Pump Trolley Experiences

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by chrishallam, Mar 17, 2014.

1. chrishallam

chrishallam Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hi guys,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, but it didn't really fit into anywhere else! I just wanted to highlight a new product that we're offering at the NVR this year and we believe is a first for preservation.

We are now offering the opportunity to operate our pump trolley on a number of summer evenings this year. The experience only costs £50 for up to three people, and in that time you'll spend around two hours on the pump trolley with one of our volunteers.

All the money raise will go towards the Night Mail Museum we are building at Ferry Meadows station and the TPO coaches on the line.

More details can be found at http://www.nightmail.org.uk/pump-trolley and http://www.nvr.org.uk/events/pump-trolley-experience

dampflok likes this.
  2. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

3. dampflok

dampflok Member

Nurse,Qualified Ward Manager now retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I bet thats something a lots of people would like to have a go at :)

4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Remember giving pump trolley rides to youngsters at NVR THOMAS days in the dark and distant past. Very popularly, very tiring.

5. chrishallam

chrishallam Member

Unfortunately insurance has put a stop to that one as they dictate all participants have to he over 18 these days. In future we may look at offering shorter rides in the yard at enthusiasts events, however with all these things it's a case of getting the paperwork up to spec and having the volunteers to man it on the day. Also operational space can be an issue as Wansford yard can get quite busy on gala days. And of course it's much more fun for participants to get two hours down the line rather than 2 minutes in the yard!

6. timmydunn

timmydunn Member

Trains and data
    The 2'6" gauge Wickham pump trolley in the museum is really popular with our visitors to the Sierra Leone NRM. Schoolkids especially.
    We're currently looking to finance a longer track - approx half the museum building length - so we can charge tourists for using it and raise money directly in the museum itself.

Steve Davies and Co on a previous visit took the trolley across the road and used it for a few trips along the last 2'6" track in the country, between the warehouses. Apparently it caused a huge stir as it was the first moving "train" to be seen in Freetown for more than 30 years. Lorry drivers couldn't understand why the silly little thing and those silly people moving on top couldn't or wouldn't get out of the way of their big vehicles... a close-run thing in some instances...