If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

New Narrow Gauge Railway Making Planning Progress

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by dace83, Jun 20, 2010.

1. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

A new narrow gauge line from John o Groats to Lands end had been proposed.... Just Kidding

The Southwold railway trust are trying to get a mile of track at Wenhanston and are making progress at planning, I'm very glad because in my opinion the steam park would of been a flop (for enthusiasts anyway).
    Will be nice to see the new build Blyth running with some replica carriages and wagons in say 5-10 years time?

2. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

3. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Good luck, never too many narrow gauge railways in my opinion!!

4. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Cracking Pics, thanks. Looks like a doddle to put it all back! Harbour bridge might need a bit of work mind!

5. Pmorgan_cym

Pmorgan_cym Member

In a Monday morning haze I misread Southwold as S****B***h

6. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Is it going to be 3'??

7. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    Go for it!

All the best....

8. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Yes!

Planning is going well and I would imagine track laying will start soon, a 3ft diesel has been donated to help. There is to be a typical SR station building with engine shed (possibly based on that at Halesworth?) and nature walks. £30k of the £120k needed for Blyth has been donated.

9. kscanes

kscanes Resident of Nat Pres

This is very interesting and welcome news. Is this instead of the Steam Park or in addition? (I must admit to reservations about where I assume the intended location of the Steam Park to be).

Any chance you can identify the 3ft diesel?

10. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Ah finally a 3' line in England...a lot of 3' steam that might need a good home :D

11. Dumphrey

Dumphrey New Member

Retired company director
    I was in Southwold at the end of May and called in at their shop to see what was happening. The Steam Park idea had to be scrapped because the land that was to made available was no longer on offer. That was why this new plan was hatched and I understand that a farmer whose land adjoins the new location is all in favour; unlike some of the town's newer incomers who seem to want the place sealed in Edwardian aspic but without the railway! Most real Southwold citizens appear in favour, so I was told.
    The frames for the new 'Blyth' are in place and the society is askng people to donate for specific components. Hopefully things will continue to come to fruition so that a suitable resting place for the 3' relicts will arise. I've already advised them to get a qualified asbestos 'handler' on board.

Good luck to them.

Ian

12. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

This would be a fabulous project if they can get it off the ground and past all the herds of nimby's who will no doubt crawl out of the woodwork. I always try to spend a couple of nights a year in Southwold if I can as its such a nice place.

13. kscanes

Hmmm. Up until very recently their website was giving the impression that the Steam Park was a done deal with just one or two little wrinkles to be ironed out. There was no indication that it was just an "idea"! Planning permission obtained, land available, nice model in the shop and photos of the model on the website.

I am a little embarrassed as, based on their website and newsletter, I have spread the word of the Steam Park to quite a lot of enthusiasts. I shall now have to un-spread it, and will in future treat news from these sources with a pinch of salt.

14. Dumphrey

Dumphrey New Member

Retired company director
    Ken
    I think "idea" was me probably selling the project short. I think it was almost a done deal but the owner of the land, a local scrap dealer had become spatially embarrassed owing to the success of the 'car scrappage scheme'. The local authority stepped in on what I understood to be a ground pollution alert and now require that the land be converted to hard standing and/or concrete. (I hope I have interpreted this correctly.) That, I believe is the reason for the change of plan.
    If there is any glaring errors in this interpretation of what was a slightly patchy conversation, I apologise and would be delighted if anyone can either substantiate or correct it.

Sorry if I have caused you any embarrassment, Ken.

Ian

15. kscanes

Not you Ian .... unless you write the Southwold Railway website and newsletter?

16. Dumphrey

Dumphrey New Member

Retired company director
    Now that would be fun