If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Nikon P1000 - A camera to have ?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Fred Kerr, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    In recent times the increase in cost and bulk of both cameras and bodies has made many photographers look for a "catch-all" camera with good wide angle and telephoto options within one lens - potentially a bridge camera. Some hoped that the latest Nikon P1000 could be that camera but at a £1000:00 price tag some felt that it was too expensive an experiment to consider

Despite (or because of ?) my age I bought a P1000 on Thursday and tried it out on a grim Friday and thought some might be interested in my findings.

I'm still assessing the results but the biggest problem isn't the camera per se but the need to download (a) a 244 page instruction manual (to be read before using the camera according to Nikon) and (b) the need to download the (free) View-NXi / Capture NX-D software. In my case it also meant updating my MAC software from OS to Mojave and learning a new software routine; some of the tasks previously done by Capture NX2 are now split between the View-NXi and the Capture NX-D. The ISO range is a problem as it is full stops only (100 / 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600 / 3200 / 6400) but even in the grimness I managed 2 Pendelino shots at 800 ISO - 1/1000 at f4.5 and 1/1000 at f3.5 with a reasonable noise level. Any poor contrast / colour / noise may be due to lack of experience with the software hence I am still not committing to a strong opinion. One problem - however - may be with the battery as it claims 250 exposures per charge but I only managed 100; that may have been caused by the playing around with the menus. The charging has to be via the camera and it takes about 3 hours to fully charge; spare batteries will cost around £45:00 but my local shop has yet to receive supplies. I still have to test out night scenes at a local station; moving trains at night at a local station and - rarest of all - scenes on a sunny day.

First impressions ? Don't get rid of the DSLR yet but the P1000 has its place - it's simply a matter of finding it !!

For those interested 2 results for interest :

1/800 @ f5; ISO=3200; Zoom at 2000mm (135 equivalent 370 mm)

upload_2018-11-25_10-12-18.jpeg

1/1000 @ f4; ISO=800; Zoom at 800 (135 equivalent = 155mm)

upload_2018-11-25_10-22-2.jpeg

I hope this may be of interest to those debating buying new kit - or looking for a Christmas Present to add to the list..

2. jsm8b

jsm8b Part of the furniture

Escapee from the corporate bear-pit
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    An interesting write up Fred, to the extent that I felt it worthwhile to watch a Youtube review of it ( Clifton Cameras).

Having taken my D800 to Iceland a few years ago I quickly decided it wasn't the ideal 'happy snappy' camera for a weekend break so on the lookout for something light with a good range of ISO and focal length bought a small Panasonic Lumix, which I'm not over the moon with so anything Nikon produce is obviously of interest.

First thing that strikes me is how large and heavy the P1000 is or how it falls into the Coolpix 'compact' category, and yes when converting to DSLR from Mamiya 645 gear a decade since I had hoped that digital gear would result in a reduction in weight which unfortunately for me it hasn't.

Being a Nikon I wouldn't expect any problems with optical quality or noise at the ISO range available but even in a camera retailing just below £1k a maximum of 6400 ISO seems a little disappointing, my D800 goes to 25600 and the latest incarnation the D850 to 102400 (but at an eye watering price). Similarly the aperture range strikes me as a little restrictive but cameras with such a large range of focal length are inevitably a compromise.
    The manual to be downloaded isn't a new thing, I had the same with the Lumix, I still prefer a printed copy with the camera.

I hope it gives you good service and look forward to seeing what it produces in better conditions but I can't see it being for me either as a replacement for the nearly 5 year old D800 or my Lumix.

Scott

3. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I can't see me giving up my D800 either Scott. The only possible alternative I would look at is the new mirrorless Nikon system but that means replacing expensive lenses. While the D800 still works I'll stick with and try and put some funds aside for a D850 or whatever the latest gear is at the time. Lugging all that weight around keeps me fit!

4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    28 - 3000 zoom must be one heck of a compromise somewhere in that range. 3000mm is a loooonnng lens and that means a lot of potentially unstable and dirty air between you and your subject.

Hampshire Unit likes this.
  5. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

I'm sure that must be 28-300 and even that is a hell of a zoom which would make the image quality, particularly in low light?high ISO questionable

6. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    To quote a respected camera review site..."Nikon's new Coolpix P1000 has moved the zoom needle to 'ludicrous,' with an equivalent focal length of 24-3000mm. That's right, 3000mm."

As Ian said above, anticipate serious problems with haze/turbulence in the atmosphere when shooting at the (very very) long end of the zoom

7. jsm8b

No John it really is 24-3000
    Nikon say :-
    The 125x optical zoom is the world’s biggest.¹ Its focal-length range of 24–3000mm puts amazing within your reach.
    The 250x Dynamic Fine Zoom digitally extends the upper zoom limit to an incredible 6000 mm.

That really is incredible, but the aperture range is f2.8 to f8 on a 1/2 inch 16 Mp sensor, so with a minimum sensitivty of 100 ISO it isn't say for long exposure landscapes in bright sunshine. With the aperture restricted to f2.8 at the longer end of the zoom there will inevitably be haxe, as with any lens, but also some internal light dispersion. As Fred said above it will have it's place and it will be interesting to see the results.

8. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

That is ridiculous, at F2.8 the depth of field and image quality at the top end of the zoom range must make it almost unusable

9. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    I doubt it’s f2.8 at the top end, that would require a ridiculously large front element. Suspect it’s f8 at 3000mm

10. jsm8b

Yes mistyped that sorry !
    Maximum Aperture – Tele 8
    Maximum Aperture – Wide 2.8

11. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    A further update on the P1000 testing process - it's no good for handheld night photography. I tested with the sleepers at Preston early this morning using both 800 and 6400 ISO and the results are unprintable IMHO - I'm keeping about a dozen images (of 70) for record purposes only. I am tempted to try a tripod test at 100 / 200 ISO at a local station but - given the Preston results - I'm not expecting much. To coin a phrase - hand-held night photography is one place not suitable for the P1000 !!

EDIT : Having had a chance to play a little more with the View NXi software I have found that the hand-held 800 ISO images weren't as bad with grain as I originally thought - 2 samples taken at 800ISO / 25 seconds @ f3.2 / OEV +2. Comments / thoughts appreciated, noting that my comments re images at 6400ISO still apply but my thoughts of images at 800 ISO need reconsidering.

92023-D01b.JPG 92023-D01h_01.JPG

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018