If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

North Norfolk Railway hopes to run to Cromer from 2015

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by London Bridge, Nov 14, 2013.

1. London Bridge

London Bridge New Member

http://railpicturelibrary.zenfolio....lk-railway-hopes-to-run-into-cromer-from-2015

2. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  3. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Always wondered if efforts would ever be made to run to Cromer. An exciting Project and best of luck with it.

4. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Good on, I assume the crossing would need to be upgraded.

5. threelinkdave

Retired
    Whilst the track is to passenger standard there are no gates and part of the route is almost like a park. From pictures I have seeen of incoming charters tempoary barriers are erected. Physical seperation is achieved with 4 padlocked wheel stops, each had a sponsors name, as well as gates. A 2015 dates suggests there are works needed, a permanent installation perhaps. If NR want physical seperation perhaps the manual rail stops could be replaced with point motor operated jobs that could be raised and lowered by lever in the signal box adjacent to the crossing. Oh well we can dream for now. It would be nice to receive official comment from NNR

6. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

Could this be run a bit like the NYMR do on the Whitbys? Such a shame the triangle at Cromer isn't still there. From my understanding Cromer is an island platform station?

7. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Yes it is ( visited on Wandering 1500 Tour).

8. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
  9. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

From that photo. Would there be space next to P1 to install a run round. This is supposing this works and is successful in the long run.

10. threelinkdave

Retired
    The problem is Sherringham line forks right and Norwich left. To avoid a conflicting move ideally you want the rumround on P2. The platforms look a little short so you could do with rhe stops behind the camera, which is where they used to be prior to the site being rationalised and sold off.

11. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

Southernman99, I also wonder if NR have looked at the Whitby operation and is thinking along similar lines for Cromer ?

12. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

Perhaps one idea could be a Heritage DMU service, from Norwich to NNR itself?
    Quite excited by all this as the NNR is one of my favourites!

13. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Either that or use a NNR DMU for the Sheringham - Cromer line; it's sufficiently attractive that a DMU might be an acceptable test bed for the 2014 season subject to TPMS being fitted.

14. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Not sure what advantage a DMU offers over the regular class 156 service ?.

By far the biggest issue at Cromer is the short distance between the buffers and signal and missing side of the triangle preventing decent sized trains reaching Sheringham, for the NNR's purposes tender first running isn't an issue on such a short stretch.

Conflicting moves are unlikely even if a run round loop would be the wrong side as you would be going nowhere while the unit is in the Cromer - Sheringham section, and presumably be away once that unit has headed off to Norwich and before the next appears.

15. damianrhysmoore

damianrhysmoore Well-Known Member

Osteopath
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Of course, once you get to Cromer, you may as well continue to Norwich, especially if you're topping and tailing...Okay I assume that some of the standards required for running on the relatively isolated line from Cromer to Sheringham are lower than for full mainline running but a chap can dream; would love to go on a trip round Norfolk and Suffolk behind the B12. Are any of the sections of Cromer-Sheringham faster than 25 MPH? (I know it's no racetrack), would be lovely to hear said loco stretch her legs a little. Looking forward to reading about the proposals in JointLine

Graeme Wigglesworth likes this.
  16. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

Dunno about Advantage's, but personally id love to ride the 101 all the way from Norwich to Sheringham, as it would give a so much better view than from a 156!
    Now the idea of the B12 standing on platform 6 at Norwich at the head of a train for Sheringham would be a fine sight, even better if it could be a train of Teaks (yes im aware of the difficulties in getting stock older than mk1 certified).
    But then again how about a standard 4 with a train of mk1's.....

17. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I suspect to get the cost down to Cromer, they'll use the NYMR model, which means the mainline approval would be Sheringham - Cromer only with exemptions to things like OTMR, possibly GSMR etc on the basis of one train in section and possible lower speed limit, Norwich would mean full blown mainline approval and much higher costs so us unrealistic.

I'd assume the limit along there is in excess of 25MPH, but with steam traction, I'd be surprised if you'd be topping 40MPH before braking for Cromer anyway.

18. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

a DMU would be very John Betjemen

19. John R

John R New Member

I thought the crossing at Sheringham was installed on the basis of very limited usage (ie stock and incoming charter movements only), mainly because of the traffic issue at the crossing. How is the railway addressing this point? Presumably two men with red flags (as I last saw for boat trains into Soton docks in the 80s) could cover the safety aspect, but the traffic problem still remains.

20. damianrhysmoore

damianrhysmoore Well-Known Member

Osteopath
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I'm not sure Sheringham is that busy on a Sunday. Surmising, of course but it was the council that put in the restrictions for the aforementioned traffic problem and if Sheringham is a bit dead on a Sunday there's not much traffic to hold up and potentially extra visitors to come and spend money in the town.