If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

North Staffordshire Rolling Stock Trust

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by Avonside1563, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Last year a new appeal was launched to aid the restoration to traffic of two of the Railway's historic coach bodies, North Staffordshire Railway 4 wheelers No.61 and No.127. A group was formed called the North Staffordshire Railway Rolling Stock Trust, quite a mouthful I know but a very active group with plenty of experience. One of the group has previous experience of this type of project through his involvement in GWR Autocoach No.163 and that group's experiences in raising funds and co-ordinating the restoration.

Despite rumours that the only thing keeping No.127 together was the woodworm holding hands it turned out on closer inspection that the basic structure of the body was repairable given the right skills. No.61 had already seen some restoration work and has spent the majority of the last 15 years undercover so was in a better condition. Therefore attention has been focused on No.127 for the time being.

Progress so far on No.127 includes restoration of one of the doors to give the project something to aim for and display as part of it's fundraising activites. Also the chassis off an ex-BR pipe wagon B741715 is being overhauled and modified to accomodate the restored body, some idea of progress can be seen on the Foxfield stocklist page for No.127, but extra help with either physical work or fundraising is always welcomed, we have two to do, and then there are other grounded bodies to turn our attention to afterwards!

To date over £1,000 has been raised towards the initial target of £5,000. Please contact Mr John Allman, NSR Rolling Stock Trust, c/o Foxfield Railway, PO Box 1967, Stoke-on-Trent, ST4 8YT for further information.

Updates on the two coaches can be found on the Foxfield Stocklist http://homepage.ntlworld.com/foxfield/index.htm

2. Avonside1563

An update to this is that the railway will be running two of Tanfield's coaches currently on the railway in conjunction with the Beyer Peacock over the weekend of 13/14 June in support of the N.S.R.S.T.

If you want a preview of what it will be like to ride the line in a Historic 4 wheeled coach then come along that weekend, all proceeds going to the N.S.R.S.T. fund raising appeal.

Take a look at the website for further information: http://www.foxfieldrailway.co.uk/news.htm

3. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Things are moving on this project, the chassis for 127 is all but finished and that for 61 is now cut into two for the additional on steel work. With £3000 in the bank to date this project is "live" !.

Any one who can help out in any way will be made most welcome, as will any donations !!.

4. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Things are moving on this project, the chassis for 127 is all but finished and that for 61 is now cut into two for the additional on steel work. With £3000 in the bank to date this project is "live" !.

Any one who can help out in any way will be made most welcome, as will any donations !!.

5. Avonside1563

The refurbished chassis for NSR No.127 almost ready for the body to be transfered

6. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Great to see a coach of this much historical importance soon to hit the rails. Do you have a completion date and details when it'll be possible to ride in it?
    Steve

7. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Yes, the work is being carried out to a high standard and both coach's are to form the basis of a vintage train. With loco,s like Bellerophon, the Robert Heath & Beyer most Foxfield members see this as another string to our bow.

As to when, well the answer is ASAP. In one year we have formed a trust, finished the first chassis and are well on to the second ( major rebuild in hand ). We have £3K in bank and sponsorship for the paint. We would like both coach's to go off site for a speedy restoration of the wood fabric, painting etc to be done back at base.

Project will be on display over the gala on 18/19th July at Caverswall road. Say hello to the team if you are passing.

8. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Great to see such good progress. I suspect these will be very popular once complete and two vehicles may not be enough ! Are there other bodies in the Foxfield collection that may one day form part of this rake ?

9. Avonside1563

We also have two Midland bodies that hopefully will also be taken under the wing of the NSRST in due course. Both of these are currently stored on the bank side of the yard to the rear of the museum building.

For info on them see here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/foxfield/m ... _compo.htm and here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/foxfield/m ... _third.htm

In the meantime, here's a taster from the recent visit of the two coaches from Tanfield with the Peacock and Cambrian Van No.11 at Dilhorne Park.

10. Avonside1563

Oh, and if you want to do your bit to support the project North Staffordshire Rolling stock Trust T-shirts will be available for purchase during the Gala Weekend! =D>

11. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

We do have other bodies, time will tell !.

Its not the policy of the trust ( yet ) but I believe that the 3rd coach should be a replica knotty brake coach. Early days but if we could find a suitable chassis I would like this ( mythical ) coach to house not only the gaurd but special access for those that require it. The point being that externaly the van would match the rake, internally ( and as a replica ) we could design the coach as required. Not only would this enable the rake to see regular use it would allow a future role for our smaller engines when the bank is open ( next Easter ).

The above is news - the forum had it first !.

Be nice to see you over the next few weeks, either on the charter or over gala.

12. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Both bodies will be on display this weekend, along with the two sets of frames. The trust will have a stand at the Foxfield Gala - Dave Smith will be on hand to explain progress to date and the next steps.

13. Avonside1563

A couple of shots of progress on the underframes

14. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

You may already have thought about it, but I think you'll get an awfully harsh ride unless you can soften the springs a bit.

Dave

15. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Not this first to mention this - will pass on !

16. Avonside1563

StoneRoad likes this.
  17. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

The Trustee's are delighted to report that NSR 127 has now left the railway to enable the body to be rebuilt at Stangate Restorations, Haltwhistle. The grant of
    £30K plus the £12K raised by the trust to date should see the coach finished by the middle of next year.

Work on No61 continues at Caverswall Road, additional funding is required.

The Trust are also delighted that the Foxfield Railway has entrusted the two Midland bodies at Foxfield into our care. The first steps will be taken to halt ( we hope ) the toll of open air storage via sheeting and painting this "summer" ( on the basis we have a few weeks without rain ).

StoneRoad likes this.
  18. INSPIRATION

INSPIRATION New Member

Excellent news Dave and well chosen contractor for the restoration of 127! Is it possible the the sole surving Bolton and Sons NSR wagon will be handed to the trust eventually? Or even the acquisition of the Knotty First at Cheddleton?

Dan Smith

StoneRoad likes this.
  19. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Hello Dan

The flat wagon is in a very sorry state, I am sure that if we asked we would get - but we have just taken on the two Midlands to try and stem the tide of decay.

NSR 28 is very well wrapped up at Cheddleton, I know that there were plans to make a new wooden frame etc but I am not sure of the current status. This coach would fit with our two like a glove - I am sure that all three will run together on both railways in the future.

StoneRoad likes this.
  20. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

The Trust have a stand at this weekends gala, two major collections of books have been donated & loads of mags etc. If you are visiting please say hello, No 61 is in the Museum building, it wont venture outside as most of the wood is now stripped of paint.

We could have both 127 & 61 running next year, work has now started offsite on 127.

StoneRoad likes this.