If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NRM January-March

Discussion in 'Photography' started by williamfj2, Jan 11, 2012.

1. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

What with the promises of Fyling Scotsman returing to action, 5764 on display in York, City of Truro being retubed in York, Olton Hall returning for running during Febuary half term, Railfest & whatever else may happen in the next 12 months I've started another update set on Flickr.
    So far, Wren has been moved to the Station Hall & the Sectioned replica of Rocket has returned to the NRM, the working Rocket is currently stripped in the works for a repaint (BR green in an attempt to appease the livery fundamentalists who want 4472 in BR livery!) 55002 has been moved to the Flying Scotsman exhibition as the prototype HST is in the paint shop. For the hoards of L&M enthusiasts, I've managed to get a photo of the interior of the replica L&M 1st class coach.

NRM January-March 2012 - a set on Flickr

2. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

The normal entrance is shut so to get to the Station Hall you have to walk past the ex.NER Cravens crane. Sadly it isn't looking great, 6 years outside with no attention is taking it's toll. Although it would need some money spent to get it to a displayable condition again, I don't see it being that much really. I would suggest an appeal but I really don't think people would put money to the restoration costs of a crane, even before the age of austerity kicked in. Olton Hall is in York again & 45305 has had the rust removed from her motion & buffers, and a tarpaulin covering the gap between the cab & tender.

IMG_3623.JPG

3. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
  4. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

I'm not too sure if it'll fit in the loading gauge. Besides, is it authentic for an A3 in LNER green with air brakes?

5. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

Britannia is at the NRM following her Royal train duties earlier in the week. She's parked next to Evening Star, is this the first time that the first & last BR standards have been seen together?
    Rocket’s cladding has been removed & painted along with her wheels and a start has been made on her tender. There’s a new exhibition in Search Engine looking at the Institute of Locomotive Engineers including a model of a possible Merchant Navy without cladding, it’s best appreciated by those without the blessing of sight!

IMG_3660.JPG
    IMG_3677.JPG

6. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

Had a new camera to play with today and the addition of snow meant a trip to the NRM was in order, fortunately the South Yard was open & a very clean Olton Hall was over the inspection pit. 45305 & 5000 have gone, the main entrance is open again so the NER crane is largely out of view again and City of Truro is in the works for the retube that should see her through to 2014.

DSCF0065.JPG

7. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

Olton Hall is in action for half term & City of Truro has been hoovered up and is now trying to do an elephant impression! The rest of the half term activities aren’t very photogenic for a railway nerd like me!

DSCF0291.JPG

8. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

I'm still trying to get my camera to take good pictures in the Station Hall, especially the sole dark freight line. As the lack of photos from there show it isn't going well! Britannia has been moved outside and 2500 is now next to Evening Star. Flying Scotsman's bogie is now in the Works and City of Truro looks quite pleased to get a new set of tubes!

[​IMG]
    2500 by williamfj2, on Flickr

9. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

Just a thought, have you tried adjusting the white balance? ( Not that I can find anything wrong with your published pictures anyway).

10. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Pleased to say that on examination, Truro didn't need new tubes but the ends have been expanded and beaded and we await the appropriate tests.

11. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

Next time I go I'm thinking about taking my tripod and seeing what every setting can do given a fair chance, and there's always photoshop if necessary! Thanks, generally only the good (to some extent!) photos are uploaded.

12. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

13. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Nice shots as ever William, the tripod really helps doesn't it? Yes, that's the new banjo dome cover - it's a work of art!

14. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

Thanks Anthony, is the dome cover made from just 1 sheet of metal?

15. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    These photo updates are brilliant - keep them coming.

Makes you realise what's going on at the museum week-by-week, when I only get to visit once a year if that.

Richard

16. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

Cheers, hopefully City of Truro will have a steam test at York before she goes on her travels, I seen to be an unlucky charm for her, the 2 times I've seen her she's been out of action!