If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NRM York & Shildon Steam Gala 24th & 25th September

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by DLPG, Sep 18, 2011.

1. DLPG

DLPG New Member Loco Owner

Senior Consultant
    Dear All,

I thought I would get a thread going for next weekend. Looks like a great event and well worth attending!

http://www.nrm.org.uk/PlanaVisit/Events/shildon_steamgala2011.aspx

First cross site gala with steam shuttles linking the two sites. Only wish I had my camera when visiting yesterday to see the second train of the day arrive at Shildon, though I'm sure someone will share some pictures on here soon.

There is also layouts and trade stalls next week end so a lot to see. Looking forward to it camcorder on charge!:thumb:

2. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
  3. SG-Canada

SG-Canada Member

Land Use Planner
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    So this is one that hopefully Anthony can answer,

On Sunday, is Olton Hall winding up back at York after the shuttles, or is she staying at Shildon?

Just curious, i think i could get some brownie points with my girlfriend during our York visit on Monday if the locomotive from the Harry Potter films is there for her to see!!

Cheers,

Stephen

4. ahardy

ahardy Member

Im sure Ant can confirm, but as I understand it the the Hall ends up back at the NRM having worked the 16.02 shuttle From York to Shildon. Returns on the back of the train hauled by Cromwell.

Andy

5. JohnMc

JohnMc New Member

Just back from NRM today. Really great to see so many visiting LMS locomotives lined up simmering away alongside some of the NRMs own static locomotives. Reminded me of the days I used to wander around locomotive depots in the early 19060's. Well done NRM.
    I did feel that there wasn't as many visitors as I would expect - particularly from the railway enthusiast fraternity. York itself was jammed pack with shoppers and visitors.
    With a reported drop in visitors - and associated income at the NRM, we do need to support these events in any way we can.

6. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Correct Andy, I'm support on the Hall! As for where she will be on Monday Stephen, I have no idea, but you could try the South Yard for a start. You've made it to York ahead of 563, but I'll miss you as it will be tidy up day at Shildon on Monday...

7. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Have to say that todays operation with the shuttles was absolutely fantastic, with everything running as planned.
    Pictures from the event can be seen here: http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p339083755

With others of Shildon seen here: http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p482655678

But as of time this message was posted the pictures are being uploaded. Should be done soon.

With regards comments on numbers... it seemed busy while shuttles were at Shildon and having spoken to people, many are pleased with how its gone. I too found the usual freindly operation of Locomotion makes it stand out from many other museums and railway centres, for its open and welcoming nature makes everyone free to look round and enjoy themselves. One aspect of having the appron at Shildon means everyone can get up close and it was great to see people having a good look, even if I had to wait for the odd picture. Id rather wait knowing people were getting an experience to remember and hopefully enjoy railways more. Certainly will be back tomorrow, and on the Shuttles too.....

This is opposed to other railway events in the region and I think that is why enthusiasts are away, as there is multiple events on.... some well known faces suddenly turned up at Shildon when the 37 worked the train rather than a kettle....

8. davski

davski New Member

I visited the event at York on Saturday and thought that it was brilliant. Great to see the engines outdoors and to be given the opportunity to step onto the footplates of at least three whilst in steam - including 'Princess Elizabeth' and 'Scots Guardsman'. Another plus were the various table-top exhibitions and stalls in the museum itself, two in particular, a group currently restoring a railway coach (sorry to be vague on that one) and the Patriot Project were very engaging - I assure you they relieved us of a few bob! I too felt that the numbers attending the event was poor which is a shame, no where near the crowds that attended 'Flying Scotman's' unveiling (despite the LMS event being so much more interesting with lots more to see and do). My only criticism was the arrogance shown by a couple of so-called entusiasts who appeared to think that the 'great unwashed' should be excluded from such events and were very indescreet and vocal about it (they were old enough to know better too!).

9. SG-Canada

SG-Canada Member

Land Use Planner
    Thanks Anthony, if i'm not able to find her on our own, i will ask around with the workshop guys when i swing in to see them.

Hope Shildon went well, SVR was a blast as always, I am exhausted, but we had a fantastic weekend, my girlfriend was totally blown away by the scope of things, will have more to say later or tomorrow on the SVR Gala thread about it.

-Stephen

10. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Travelled back on the 18.40 shuttle from Shildon, we left Olton Hall at Shildon....... excellent run back with 45305, many thanks to all who made this happen!!!

11. DLPG

DLPG New Member Loco Owner

Senior Consultant
    Well done to all those at the NRM that organised this weekends event. The best Shildon anniversary weekend to date in my opinion. Looking forward to next year already! Hopefully the Flying Scotsman for the shuttles for 2012!!!

12. JohnMc

JohnMc New Member

Reflecting on my earlier thread, and the comments from others on this forum, I have to say again well done NRM. What an opportunity to see and get close up to, and for the visitors who went onto the footplates, eight LMS locos from the powerfull class 8's down the the small tanks locomotives.
    I note the comment of davski about the arrogance shown by a couple of so-called enthusiasts who appeared to think that the 'great unwashed' should be excluded from such events and were very indescreet and vocal about it. On the Saturday I experienced this. A couple of obvious railway enthusiast were tut-tutting, and I actually overheard a comment similar to "get a move on" whilst my son and I took some arty photos of one of the locos in the station hall. I also saw another photographer actual move a perambulator well out of the way, belonging to a mum and her young son, who had left it by Scots Guardsman, whilst she took him onto the footplate, just so the photographer could get a clean shot!
    Both instances were out order, do the genuine railway enthusiast a dis-service.
    Enclose one of my photos - apologies if it is a bit small - first attempt!

IMG_1134.jpg

13. Anthony Coulls

I wouldn't normally comment, but thank you all - it was great fun at both sites. I did also witness photographers yesterday giving lip, so gave some back...politely....the general visitor has just as much right to enjoy, and a bit of patience meant that pics were available without folks in - I managed some without having to wait long or ask anyone to move - and that was without an NRM name badge on before anyone suggests it! Yes, good events, and hopefully more to come in the future...

14. conireland

conireland Member

Went down to York yesterday and managed to get the second shuttle, the whole event was fantastic, lovely to be able to speak to the crews of the engines who were more than willing to let people to have a look and a chat about the engines. 5305 was on top form on that second shuttle, not sure what the problem with the Hall was but 5305 certainly made up for it. Thanks to all who made the event happen :D

15. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Havn't been to the NRM for a while, but have to say Anthony the Black 5 looks superb in the photo attached to the post above.

Sounds like a lot of hard work and a very good event. Well done. Dont worry about the odd "enthusiast" who is lacking social manners, it happens! (as my wife found out at the SVR Kidderminster station on Saturday.....)

16. Anthony Coulls

Thanks all - yes, that is a nice picture, and I've seen some superb shots from the night shoot at York on Saturday and the evening at Shildon on Friday.

I was on the support crew for the Hall on the second trip yesterday. The issue was a lubrication problem which saw the loco detached at Shildon for attention.

17. zep108

zep108 Member

logistics
  18. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Hello all

Lots of pictures uploaded to the website last night, following a ride on the shuttle with 45305, 37706 and 5972.

Pictures from the shuttle are here: http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p501394265
    Pictures from Shildon are here: http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p395551458
    Pictures from York are here: http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p492857133

A full report is here:

37706, sounding more akin to a cross between thunder and Gods own fury proved to be the engine that brought the shuttle up from York first. 45305, stood proudly on the south facing end, and following shunting was ready for the run south to York. The train left at 13:15, with the Black 5 performing well - so well its understandable why this locomotive is known as the Black 5GT... The run through Darlington Bank Top station was of particular note. With the train meandering through the pointwork and lines north of the station, the engine erupted into life once onto platform one, filling the NER built station with volume, its dull drone of a whistle sounding like a cry of havoc for a charging leviathan rather than the more romantic ideal of a sharp whistle and gentle hiss of a steam train. Once through and onto the mainline the Black 5 made the work of the special look easy.

Arrival into York saw the Black 5 amongst its cousins and class mates. Many well known celebrities of the preserved steam mainline age were 'on shed', with WCRCs midland duo of 46115 and 48151 standing proudly with the Princess and NRMs own first Black 5. Also there was a Fairburn, 42085, somewhat defiantly wearing the shedplate of 51A, Darlington, at 50A York - something which for me was emotional and proud to be a strong supporter of North Eastern heritage and rail. KWVR Ivatt 2, 42151 was also there, along with the upturned bathtub of Duchess of Hamilton, though you had to admit that the art deco appearance was impressive to see restored and outdoors.

Back onto the shuttle with Hogwarts Castle adorning the front, 45305 on the rear. The Castle sounded well when running out of York, its two pitch whistle delighting those filming from the lineside and vantage points en route north. Arrival back into Shildon saw the many travelling passengers pleased with their day out and tour of the two events and fast mainline steam run. Back at Shildon there was time for a quick view of Truro, the 56xx 5643 and 28xx goods outside before watching 45305 thunder away back south and the Hall shunt onto Locomotion for inspection.

A brilliant day out with the many behind the scenes seeing happy passengers as the reward for all their hard work. Long may this idea of joint galas and shuttles continue....

----

Feedback and notes to the site are welcome.
    Photographs are also available for purchase following instructions on the website.

Enjoy the site and pictures,

Regards

David
    aka The Black Hat

19. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

No I do not currently volunteer
  20. T'Bogger

T'Bogger New Member

Design Engineer
    A-HA! That would be us in the LMS Carriage Association then! Hehe... We had a great time being able to share what we are doing, especially as one of the carriages we are working in is part of the National Collection. So a big thank you to the NRM for inviting us to come along and share what we do with the visitors and the progress we are making on the NRM' LMS Period 1 TO, 7828. I managed to take some video of the Saturday I was there. Hopefully the link below will work:

[video=youtube;AR-5hMP9pB4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR-5hMP9pB4[/video]

It is a shame when this happens. I did have one guy apologise for going in front of me whilst filming. I said I didn't mind one bit. Railways are just as much about people as they are locos and carriages...well for me anyway!

With apologies for the plug, but if anyone wants to see a little of what we do in the LMSCA here's a short vid:

[video=youtube;_jgqSZY_wmA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jgqSZY_wmA[/video]

Thanks to everyone who made the LMS weekend happen. It was great. Here's to the next one!

Best wishes,

Alan
    LMSCA volunteer