If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NYMR Autumn Gala

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by 61624, Jul 29, 2016.

1. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Rumours on the NYMR Unofficial Forum suggest a Welsh theme with 2807 and 7822 visiting and home based engines renumbered to represent Welsh members of their classes.

Both these engines have, of course, visited previously and were well-liked by NYMR crews.

2. MatthewCarty

MatthewCarty Guest

I think you're missing an NY from the start of the thread title! The announcements were made in Moors Line! There has been some speculation over which Welsh Q6 and B1 will be used for renumbering purposes!

3. 61624

I wondered where my post had gone. Please could the mods rename it correctly.

4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Done...

5. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

See here: http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nw1407a.htm

Most people forget, or don't even know the LNER had a little bolt hole here in Wales. The former Wrexham, Mold and Connahs Quay / GCR line from Wrexham Central to Bidston via Shotton. Connected to the CLC lines via a junction at Dee Marsh to Chester Northgate. So it's very plausible to have a Flintshire themed gala with LNER, GWR and LMS locos.

*when someone builds a C13 tank ;)

49010, Martin Perry and MatthewCarty like this.
  6. 61624

Don't forget BR Standards - I think they'll play a prominent role too.

7. Britfoamer

Britfoamer Well-Known Member

Chemist (semi-retired)
    Stanier 8F's built at Swindon, wandered all over the WR, Central Wales etc.

8. 61624

True, but irrelevant - the NYMR doesn't currently have an 8F based there!

9. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    There's no 8F coming, though!
    I understand a third visitor has been procured but I'll await official announcements, just in case there are still i's to dot.

10. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

This is an interesting one for me. I've lived in Fflint all my life, the NYMR is my favourite line and 7822 is my favourite engine. I can't imagine how I missed it last time.

11. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

During 2011.

12. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Which is quite surprising given how suited I daresay they would be for the line. The accrual of Stanier 5s both owned and borrowed makes less sense than 8fs to me but I am no expert and have the highest regard for both.
    Didn't 48151 have a brief spell on the Moors once-over?

13. 61624

Various reasons, I think. The black 5s that have been long term residents on the NYMR have all been ex-BR rather than ex-Barry, and there was only one ex-BR 8F by ex-BR I mean, of course, directly from BR service rather than via Barry scrapyard) and also there are a lot fewer 8Fs round than Black 5s.

I'm usually wrong, but I don't think 48151 has ever run on the NYMR. I think 48431 has and 48773 might have as well.

14. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    I think everyone has missed the obvious Welsh connection.
    Applies to most locos throughout the country but probably not to the Q6 or Repton.
    However definately to 76079

BARRY

Just noticed the preceding post.

15. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

That all makes sense but I still find it a little hard to fathom how one or more has not been persuaded to make a home or couple of seasons even like tge 7fs, B1, 34101 or 80136 now. As a strategic move towards self sufficiency acquiring 8173 and 8518 especially would have made a great deal of sense. Wonder if a benefactor might help if 8305 or 8624 ever came on the market?

16. 61624

Both 8173 and 8518 would have required a huge amount of work and the NYMR has typically shunned Barry restorations (with the honourable exception of 80135). The only other two Barry restorations carried out at Grosmont, 6619 and 75014, were carried out by the owning group; all the other ex-Barry engines on the railway were restored before moving to the railway. Back in the 1970s I was involved with the acquisition of 80135 and asked my contacts at the SVR whether any of the 8Fs then at Barry might be worth considering - their advice at the time was that this class was quite likely to be hard on the NYMR's track (based on their experience with 48773) and so the matter was allowed to rest.

I don't know whether an 8F would be looked on with favour if the opportunity ever arose to acquire one. For the Trust to consider buying an engine I think it would have to be Whitby-capable/acceptable, and some of the curves at Whitby are sharper than any on the NYMR, with no real prospect of easing them. I know 48151 has run there occasionally, so it can be done, but whether it would be advisable to take an 8F there twice a day throughout the season is debatable.

17. MatthewCarty

MatthewCarty Guest

The other thing to consider now is whether there really is a need for more locos. There are plenty of locos, it is just a case of getting the facilities to overhaul them fast enough. Once overhauled to mainline standard, we have 9 locos available for Whitby running (45428, 44806, 76079, 75029, 80135, 34101, 926, 825 and 61264) this should provide enough to have 5 Whitby capable locos which is enough to allow for washouts/repairs. If more locos are bought it will just increase the time they are out of traffic between overhauls (which could lead to an increased overhaul cost).

18. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    I didn't realise that 34101 and 825 where going to be Whitby-able? That will be great!

Chris

19. 61624

I don't think it's quite that simple. If locos are stored in good conditions they will not deteriorate, so that has to be an aim, and I don't think it is such a bad thing for engines to have a spell out of traffic - more interest is generated when they return. I can also see an argument for buying a loco in good condition with plenty of boiler life versus overhauling one that needs a lot of work. Lastly, there's also the question of securing what is essentially the railway's stock in trade - three of the engines listed above are owned privately and could leave the NYMR at their owners whim. If you are then looking at 50% availability from a pool of 6 rather than 9things don't look quite so rosy. Clearly that is a worst case scenario and I hope that all three potentially vulnerable engines remain on the NYMR for many years hence, but it is a possibility that has to be considered.

825 was Whitby-passed before it was withdrawn for overhaul and so would be expected to be once again when its overhaul is complete. 34101 hasn't been to Whitby yet, but I believe it is planned that it will be NR registered. Although 60007 made the one trip before it was considered to be a very bad idea, 34101 has a different design of trail truck and a 6-wheel tender and shouldn't have any problems.

20. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    That's very good news. I live some 250 miles from the NYMR and haven't paid a visit for 9 years as it's such a long journey. The prospect of 34101 and 825 in action over the full 24 miles from Whitby to Pickering is very exciting and just what is needed to encourage me to make a return trip. Hopefully only a couple of years to wait??