If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Old Kiln Light Railway, Tilford, Surrey

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Buckeye, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Buckeye

Buckeye New Member

Visited this railway today and had a ride. A pleasant enough 2’ gauge line which is situated at the Rural Life Centre, Tilford near Farnham. The ride goes round the outside of the museum, but is only accessible through the museum, which means paying admission to the RLC as well as the train fare. Whist there seemed to be several members working on the railway (who are a separate organisation) the same could not be said of the museum today. Apart from the lady on the till and whoever was in the café I only saw one other person about the museum grounds – he was seemingly playing around on a tractor moving earth back and forwards. The railway seemed to be the most active part of the museum today. I was surprised that on a BH weekend there were no easter activities for families & children. Whilst the museum is quite interesting it was all inactive and static displays – really needs an upgrade & rejuvenation.

They have a train of four carriages and quite a few diesel locos were seen but believe they have a couple of steam locos but these must have been in the shed. The line is a horseshoe shape round the perimeter. The train goes from the far end station past the shed and to the station at the road entrance.

Are there any members from it on here? Do you have to be a member of the RLC to work on it or is there a separate railway group/society?

2. mdewell

mdewell Well-Known Member Friend

UK & Ireland Heritage Railways Webmaster
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer