If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Olympic Restrictions

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by hatherton hall, Aug 2, 2012.

1. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

Apart from the obvious ones such as tours to Weymouth during the Olympic sailing, can anyone explain why a train such as the VSOE Surrey Hills on Saturday and others not going anywhere near an Olympic venue are cancelled due to "Olympic Restrictions".

All seems very odd unless of course all of the support teams are at the games!

2. royals pete

royals pete Member

Perhaps like London shops; no-one using. Everyone watching Olympics ???

3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Just keeping steam hauled trains out of London, I think. Probably also has something to do with the extra people (onlookers, photographers etc) that these trains attract - i.e. health and safety/risk management :yawn:

4. J Shuttleworth

J Shuttleworth Member

Network Rail issued the following in February:

'To protect the resilience and performance of the rail network during the Olympic and Paralympic games, Network Rail and relevant Operators have agreed that there will be no steam charters into and out of London termini during the Olympic and Paralympic period. In addition to this, Stratford and Weymouth will be inaccessible to all charter services due to the increased traffic around those venues. Other stations such as Slough, serving the rowing events at Eton Dorney, will be restricted on certain days.'

Effectively, NR have locked-down operations in London to WTT services only throughout the period, although, of course, the relevant franchised operators were, through their contractual access rights, able to bid for additional services, eg. FGW and SWT 'extras' to Weymouth. There is little or no charter activity directly associated with the Olympics (other than a handful of late-night contracted 'reliefs'), mainly due to the ticket allocation process.

As far as steam charters are concerned, RTC made an early decision to replace London starters with provincial ops (although starting from 'M25' stations, such as Iver or Langley, was considered), which explains the origin of the 'Royal Duchy'. Others promoters appear to have abandoned their London-based programmes.

A by-product of the Olympic period is that virtually all major engineering possessions have been suspended - which will no doubt have a reverse effect, later in the year!

JS

5. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    And if anyone has been to a venue the net effect of all this advance panic mentality has been to frighten people away, because of all the predicted travel and accommodation chaos. London is quieter than I have ever seen it, and as for Weymouth - its a ghost town except for one viewing park. The only upside so far as I can see it is Stagecoach and Virgin offering free ice cream at Waterloo - didn't know Virgin had a franchise south of the Thames!

Business owners are tearing their hair out at lack of anticipated turnover. Further proof, as if any were needed is that the bucket shop hotel bookers on the internet are offering some amazing bargains right where you would have expected peak pricing.

6. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Although on a much smaller scale, exactly the same happened when Royal Ascot was held at York - the City was a ghost town, the expected ability to rent your house to posh southerners for a packet didn't happen and many of the extra trains GNER ran were far from full. The effect spread wider around North Yorkshire, with the coast suffering due to everyone keeping off the A64 or local trains (which were overcrowded as northerners took the chance to attend the event even if southerners didn't!).

It was a great relief when Ascot was ready for the following year and the "threatened" repeat at York didn't happen!

Steven

7. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Thanks for that information James..

8. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Can't be any great hardship for 3-4 weeks surely ?, I've seen engineering posessions at weekends knock out a route for longer periods.

9. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

Well, companies were probably relying on trains out of London and trains to Weymouth for a part of their revenue.

10. david1984

They have another 48 weeks of the year to fit that in to be fair, the fact none of the repeat itineries (in a regular year) have a London start/finish shows there are other markets out there if you know where to look.

It'll be business as usual by September anyway.

11. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

Bothe the DCE and WSSE start and finish in London...
    Anyway, good point, back to normal by September.

12. hatherton hall

Thanks James for the explanation and NR quote.

Regarding the VSOE, I guess that is an exceptional "charter" service which continues to run under all circumstances although how running Clan Line instead of the replacement diesel protects "the resilience and performance of the rail network" escapes me.

Anyway, plenty of steam still to enjoy and come on Team GB

Nick

13. david1984

Would I be right in thinking the VSOE in question is the Surrey Hills ?, if so that's easier to facilitate than a one off charter as the timings and operation of it have been set in stone for sometime and it's a pretty slick operation as a result of experience.

14. hatherton hall

Yes indeed, the Surrey Hills. Just lately it has not had any diesel at the back but a generator car has done the business. Nevertheless, Clan Line has proved to be a very reliable locomotive and very little risk to the resilience of the network.

Just think of the international public relations boom if visitors from all over the world witnessed steam trains in London termini on their way to and from the Olympic venues!

They would see with their own eyes that the UK has the best and most intensive preserved steam mainline steam service in the world. Just look at UK steam (thanks to Dave) to back up that claim.

Come on steam. Come on Team GB!

Nick

15. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

In also remember the quotes made by southerners about northern weather, and snubbing the travel north.

16. Northern Union

Northern Union New Member Account Suspended

Hope there are no Pacers and Sprinters lurking around then. They make steam look state of the art!

17. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Are they allowed south of Watford???:rolleyes1:

18. Northern Union

Northern Union New Member Account Suspended

Have seen them. Some comment about wanting to send them back up North where they belong was made. To the knackers yard would be better.

19. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Plenty of Sprinters in the south-west of England ;)

20. david1984

Funnily enough Pacers are banned from 3rd Rail territory, purely coincidental of course you understand :whistle:

Pacers is too nice a word for them, the Nodding Donkey nickname is more apt.