If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Owsden hall

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Crazy Train29, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Crazy Train29

Crazy Train29 New Member

Night Receptionist
    I saw in the latest SR mag that this locos owner has been asked to remove it from its current base at toddington. it says that the GWSR are unhappy with the rate of progress of the restoration. now i know that restorations aint cheap and therefore take time and i feel that the GWSR are acting a little rash. surely there must be some space avalible, even if it isnt undercover? I hope that she is able to find a new home soon. i cant help wondering if one of the reasons for the marching orders is that the GWSR want the space for 44901?

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There is a history of conflict between the GWSR and the owner of this loco if I remember correctly - did the railway not at one time try to sell it as it was not being progressed (think they may have been trying to reclaim 'storage' costs) ???

3. Crazy Train29

Crazy Train29 New Member

Night Receptionist
    SR article mentions a dispute back in 2001 but states that it was eventually resolved. its a shame because its an ideal loco and perfectly suited to the GWSR, and given that 7903 has been very popular with punters and crews alike it seems odd why GWSR would want owsden to go. its says that a lot of work has been done on the loco, in particular on the bolier and tender. not enough work for some it seems....

4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Once again idle and uninformed speculation is going to arise, unless we are aware of the full facts concerning this news lets wait for confirmation.

5. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

It is a matter of record that there has been conflict in that particular relationship in the past. Are you advocating no debate of any subject that is not subject to 'confirmation of the full facts'? Whose version of 'the full facts' are we working to?

6. RalphW

Therein lies the problem, whose 'facts' do we accept, are we any position to say which are right, debate yes, caution yes.

7. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    I would think that this scenario is common to many preservation sites. People over-commit themselves, sometimes buying a number of vehicles which can remain on the site untouched for years, when they know that they do not have the funds to back the restoration over a reasonable amount of time.
    I'm not surprised that some people are asked to remove their items , as in many cases they are blocking siding space which can be better utilised.

Bob.

8. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    It is matter of public record that in September 2001, 6984 Owsden Hall was effectively seized by the court, following non-payment by the owner of debts to a third party (NOT the GWSR). The loco was put up for auction by the Sheriff of Gloucester. The winning tender was submitted by the West Somerset Railway Association, but before ownership of the loco was transferred, the owner settled his outstanding debts and the proposed transfer of ownership was cancelled.

9. RalphW

Thank you very much for clearing that up...

10. collet1930

collet1930 New Member

I saw Owsden Hall in the shed at Toddington a couple of years ago ,after first seeing it parked outside the goods shed about 10-11 years ago in a forlorn state.It had come on in leaps and bounds compared to other restoration projects up and down the country and would be a shame if it was to move away with Broadway now in their sights.I remember seeing over a long period of time there a certain Br standard 76077 I think, does anyone know how that project is developing.

11. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Yes 76077 is still stored untouched in bits with no work being undertaken - one for the future maybe.

12. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Last time I was at the GWR, parts of the 76XXX, were stored in the cutting between Toddington station and the Viaduct.

While on the subject of Glos Warks motive power, what's going on with 9642 ?, it was displayed just after it arrived and out of ticket, but no idea where it is now and what state it's in.

13. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Wasn't there talk of 76077 being the next project for the Churchill 8F group? (presumably once they've finished their LMS diesel shunter)

14. GeoffS75

GeoffS75 Member

I thought 44901 was their next project or is that no longer the case?

15. burnettsj

burnettsj Member

76077 is still stored in Toddington north headshunt awaiting restoration I'm not aware on any work having been done on it since I joined the railway in 2004.
    6984 is currently stored in Toddington yard. Although there has been restoration work done on the tender, and engine - I have not observed any progress over the last few years.
    9642 is offsite in the middle of an overhaul

Regards

Stephen

16. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    I believe we will see work starting on the kit of parts (without tender) that was 76077 once 35006 is up and running sometime this year (we hope!). It was inferred to me that the P&O Group would assist in the 76's restoration once their MN was completed but that information was given to me several years ago and things could well have changed. 76077 was privately owned when it arrived at Toddington in 1987 (I remember it arriving - blimey what happened to the time?) and I presume it still is.
    Regarding Owsden Hall, I too have noticed considerable progress to this locomotive over the years but it is still, I believe, owned by one person who is assisted by some other volunteers. The Halls were common engines on the Honeybourne Line and it would be sad to see it go. Even 76xxxs, which were never allocated to the Western Region, were seen on what is now the GWSR and look forward to seeing one running on the line. 7903 is of course, a stalwart ambassador of its class and superb for the GWSR.

17. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

It is a shame to hear Owsden Hall is leaving, certainly considering that while not much progress had recently been occuring, it nevertheless appeared to be coming along quite well as far as Barry restorations are concerned.

Now I respect the railway's decision, and I certainly don't want to get involved in the pointing fingers game, as I don't know all the details behind this matter.

Though, there is one thing that puzzles me... The railway's explanation for their decision is that, (according to the article in Steam Railway) nothing has happened on the restoration for some time. Now that's fair enough, but if its the old issue that many others railways have faced (removing a loco that is not really progressing), then why is it that they didn't have 76077 removed instead? I don't know much about the progress of this engine, but it seems evident to me that it is not as progressed as Owsden Hall is. And if your deciding to remove projects that haven't progressed sufficiently enough, and were faced with these to engines, surely logic would dictate that you retain the one that has made the most progress, in this case (to me) being Owsden Hall.

Though I realise it isn't always that simple, and there are probably many factors I do not know about this affair, so I shall not jump to any conclusions of my own and point any fingers.

I should point out the fact as well that while (as Kinghambranch puts it) 7903 is a stalwart ambassador of its class and superb for the GWSR, let us not forget that Foremarke Hall is (not matter how many years away) intended someday to be utilised on the Swindon and Cricklade Railway. This means it is likely that 7903 will at some point leave and, with Owsden Hall gone, the GWSR will be potentially without a Hall in it's roster.

Now that to me would be the saddest thing, as a GWSR without at least one Hall would somehow feel as though something's missing, something that has always been there, and becomes especially noticeable when its gone...

18. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Thought it was supposed to be the second 8F they got from Turkey...but then it got exported.

19. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Perhaps it will be the next 8F to come from Turkey instead? After all there doesn't seem to be much other reason for bringing another one back if no-one wanted the last one!

20. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

As stated previously 76077 is the next project for the 35006 team and is presumably regarded as safe with a restoration plan in mind, as it will be worked on and brought back to life when P&O is completed (later this year I believe). I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that 6984 is leaving - it has been asked to leave, but as explained earlier, there have been problems before with this engine which meant it looked like it was leaving only for a last minute deal to be struck. Wait and see....

Keith