If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Pathfinder 2023

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Will RL, Dec 15, 2022.

1. 3ABescot

3ABescot Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    33029 was the other Crompton on yesterday's trip apparently.
    https://www.47soton.co.uk/2023/12/4th-9th-december-2023.html?m=1
    Yes, Matt, I'm mainly a steam fan but I think the 33s must be up there with the 37s as favourite Diesel locos. Both have given long and apparently good service, especially the 37s which look, and sound, right for a mainline Diesel! The 33s are elegant boxes, with their slightly bowed ends, and I have fond memories also from when I lived in Dorset in the late 70s, so I wish these were in BR blue, whereas I normally favour green for early diesels.

Matt37401 likes this.
  2. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

I quite like this one in this livery…
    IMG_7534.jpeg

3ABescot likes this.
  3. jsm8b

jsm8b Part of the furniture

Escapee from the corporate bear-pit
    And this is what they looked like on The Marches some 42 years ago. The diary says it's 33021 on 13th June 1981, the day 'Lord Nelson' hauled a Cathedrals Pullman from Chester to Hereford and back, the notes say we saw 33020 and 33021 during the day. Six-Bells is sketchy on 850 going to Chester but two shots on from this was the CP at Stanwardine north of Shrewsbury heading north.
    This is four years before I moved to Shropshire by which time I think the 33s were a rarity, even in 1981 the workings also saw the ubiquitous 25s. If only Dorrington still looked like this.
    Blue isn't my favourite livery, I tend to associate BRs blue period with the with the railway in the doldrums but the loco and Mk1 set look creditably presented here. TfW trains offer a good deal fewer seats these days (assuming they turn up)

32ct81b1820 33021 Dorrington 130681.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
    JBTEvans, 5944, 46223 and 7 others like this.
  4. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Scott, I’m posting this off the top of my head, but I have a feeling this would be about the same time that Smethwicks finest began to make their way north again on diagrams from Eastleigh.

By all accounts the 25’s and DMUs were crap, and couldn’t keep time, hence their replacement by their bigger relations in the early to mid eighties, then the 37/4’s came along…

You do seem to have settled rather well in Shropshire though my friend, it’s a lovely county :):)

twr12 and 3ABescot like this.
  5. 3ABescot

3ABescot Member

I agree with all that and thanks for the picture - I really must scan my old pics! Much scope for further thread drift, but sticking to 33s in the southwest it wasn't all doldrums, there was innovation too. Such as the Waterloo - Weymouth trains using carriages with driving cabs propelled by superpower emus to Bournemouth and 33s onto Weymouth before the third rails were extended.

6. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Part of the furniture

I wonder if lack of available steam locos made this a diesel powered trip rather than steam locomotive? Pathfinder used to regularly run a festive steam trip up the Marches.

7. Will RL

Will RL Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    This was always intended to be a Cl.33 trip. The appeal I was going for here was two possible Christmas market destinations for those in Southern pickups, and utilising the Cromptons on once familiar routes (Eastleigh XC and the Marches).
    Unfortunately a general lack of steam this season resulted in a failure to run a Christmas steam trip.

JBTEvans likes this.
  8. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Part of the furniture

Sorry, wasn't aware you were part of Pathfinder!