If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail at Matlock.

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by 46118, Sep 16, 2007.

1. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Just looking at the webcam views ( http://www.sainsburysmatlock.co.uk ) of the Sainsbury's Matlock development, I was trying to work out where the Peak Rail line is going. It looks as though track is laid in an underpass, but that appears to be at a much lower level than the level of the current truncated line, which you can see in the view from camera 2.

Anyone from Peak Rail, or local to Matlock happen to know how the Peak Rail line will actually traverse the site to presumably either a new terminus, or are they gaining access to the disused platform at Matlock BR station?

Thanks

2. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

The actual Network Rail line is in an "artificial" cutting that has been created to allow the Matlock By Pass to gain enough height to cross the line to get into the Sainsbury's development. The NR line is on a new alignment approximately 15 metres west of the original alignment, the developers have had to knock down the goods shed to make way for the new road.

From the second webcam you can just see the end of the Peak Rail loop, which followed the original NR / BR alignment, the new NR alignment will, as far as i am aware, not be initially connected to PR (although i could be wrong!) and will not be on the same alignment i.e. it is further west by say 5 metres.

It is PR's aim to get into Matlock using the down platform and having some kind of running arrangement over NR metals, one of the earlier plans was having a three track formation (i believe) with a shared run round line. PR are i believe in negotiation with NR. You may be interested in the attached link: http://www.gifford.uk.com/ProjectProfiles.asp?id=38

NR or their contractors have been laying the loop with new rails on reclaimed sleepers, Sainbury's is due to open on the 4th October. I hope that this is helpful

3. 46118

Cheers, thanks for that.

It is a little difficult to judge the levels from the two camera angles, but it looks as though the Peak Rail line will need to be cut back somewhat from the current track end, and graded down to the underpass, or maybe that is an "optical illusion"?

Must be a great marketing opportunity for Peak Rail and Sainsbury's in there somewhere!

4. royce6229

royce6229 Well-Known Member

When I visited matlock last month, the line had been severed just off the end of the platform, with the stops just visible in this shot. I can understand why Peak Rail want the line reinstated, but why would NR want the line to go any further? Do they have use for it?

[​IMG]

5. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

The difference in gradients is due to camera angles, the webcam is situated up a pole above the works areas.

I believe that NR require the loop in order to run round engineers trains and specials that may use the branch, i understand that NR will be upgrading a number of bridges on the line from Ambergate to take a heavier axle load and thus it is hoped that excursions may use the line. Certainly in the 1980's and 1990's the branch played host to the Royal Train and a number of through specials to and from Peak Rail

In the initial negotiations Derbyshire County Council insisted that the trackbed be safeguarded to enable the line to be re-instated to Peak Forest / Buxton. The attached link may be of interest: http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/Images/der ... -28136.pdf

I think that it may be a large document!

6. 46118

Thanks for that.

I had read somewhere that some of the bridges South of Matlock were now only fit for DMU-type traffic, so if there are plans for repair/upgrade, then as you say, there are opportunities for other types of traffic. Currently rail excursions with passengers to--for instance--Chatsworth House, tend to detrain at Chesterfield. Matlock is much nearer.

We will watch developments with interest.

7. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

The Peak Rail archivist, Mick Bond, has been writing a number of articles in the "Peak Express" magazine covering the history of the Matlock Loop and the Cawdor Quarry site.

Now if someone could persuade MML or Stagecoach to run excursions direct to Rowsley (for Chatsworth) that would be even closer!!

8. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

I have been copied in on an email that may be of interest.

According to Branch Line News double track is being laid on the new alignment north of the NR station at Matlock. Apparently the new loop will be capable of housing an HST set which will be able to use the Matlock branch when the girder bridges near Cromford are upgraded in 2008.
    The Derby resignalling will also mean that the time taken to clear Ambergate will be much reduced as the token system will be abandoned

9. 46118

Thats good. Sounds like NR are taking a positive attitude towards the line.

Interesting scenario for when the Rowsley tuntable is operative, steam specials to Matlock on Network Rail, loco serviced and turned at Rowsley.....Mmmm

10. situpandbeg

situpandbeg New Member

Steam specials to Rowsley would be fantastic, unfortunately Peak Rail have been giving members spin about talking to / negotiating with Network Rail for so long no-one is sure what the real position is. One of the people who paid a big part in getting the NYMR into Whitby left Peak Rail on bad terms some time ago, and they let their connection agreement with NR lapse, so have to start from square one, which will cost mega bucks.

Ralph

11. 46118

Royce6229:

From your own observations, is there still room for a track to access the disused platform at Matlock from the North? (ie to the left of the existing track in your photo) There doesn't look much room on your photo, but it can be deceptive I suppose.
    Or has the Supermarket development effectively done away with part of the other platform?

situpandbeg: Oh dear, that is unfortunate, lets hope they can agree something.

12. royce6229

I agree the perspective makes it deceptive! #-o I should think there is room to run into the down platform as it looked like the existing line still follows the formation of the up line, but the down platform has suffered quite a bit from the building work, not sure if there will be room to rebuild it.
    Interesting re the NR loop, as has been said at least they are showing some commitment to the line, but I very much doubt anyone would want to stable anything there over night, as the new carpark was already looking a great place for kids to meet and race their Corsa's!

13. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Ralph is correct in saying that "negotiations are continuing" and have been for some time, the latest "Peak Express" states that "the plc Board is continuing in its negotiations with relevant organisations about operating into the down platform"

The down platform is complete, however it will need to be rebuilt to current standards etc, how PR will operate into Matlock will be a major issue - will the locomotives have meet NR requirements, will staff have undertake training / certification to NR standards - these are are things that will no doubt need to be addressed. There are some in Matlock that think that it will be case of laying track putting in a connection and away you go.

Whilst it would be nice to run into Matlock it will come at a cost (in my humble opinion).

14. 46118

So, we may still see another "Matlock Riverside" station, albeit further South!

..."Straight on for the Network Rail station, turn right for Sainsbury's"!

15. royce6229

To be perfectly honest, with the building work going on at the moment, and this is meant as no slur to Peak Rail, Matlock is totally uninviting to anyone looking for a ride on the railway, sign posting is very poor, and you get the feeling that you keep walking in a general direction and hope you come across a train, hopefully this will all improve soon.

16. situpandbeg

situpandbeg New Member

Also a new footbridge has been built on which the ramp system totally dominates the attractive old Matlock station approach - it's steel painted black, doubles back and goes over the top of the station building to the road at the west (down) side of the station. Many consider it hideous and there has been much discussion in the Matlock Mercury as to why it was allowed to happen. The planning department have countered with "well, the plans were available for inspection five years ago and no-one said anything."

LOL!

Ralph

17. royce6229

I forgot about the footbridge, it really is awful.
    Heres a couple more shots, the footbridge isn't very noticeable in this view, but from the approach road it is another matter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

This link is to the Matlock Mercury website article about the footbridge:
    http://www.matlockmercury.co.uk/news?ar ... 0#comments
    What's funny is that some of the comments have been deleted - one of them was from The Vogon Commander warning that the earth was about to be destroyed for a hyperspace bypass to be built, and that the planning documents had been on display at the nearest planning office on Alpha Centauri for the last fifty years! Good old Hitchhikers Guide.

There's a Yahoo group for those interested in Peak Rail:
    groups.yahoo.com/group/peakrail

Cheers
    Dave

19. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

The locals are not happy about the footbridge - a number expect Sainsbury's to take it down!

20. 46118

...or disguise it as a tree, or several trees.....

Noted on the Matlock Mercury website someone reporting that NR have turned down Peak Rail's request to use the other platform at Matlock.

..Matlock Riverside becomes (like Bath Green Park and no doubt others) "Matlock(Sainsbury's) halt"!