If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peckett loco class

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by andysleigh, Dec 8, 2009.

1. andysleigh

andysleigh Member

Hi all

would anybody be able to shed any light as to what class of peckett this is, and does anybody have any other pictures of it.
    this loco is called CZECHO
    [​IMG]

2. RGCorris

RGCorris Member

Czecho

Apparently its nameplate was sold at Sheffield in 2006 -

[ Railwayana ] BRASS INDUSTRIAL LOCO NAMEPLATE: "CZECHO" as carried by the Hadfields Ltd., East Hecla Works, Sheffield, 2ft 0in gauge outside cylinder 0-4-2ST built by Peckett, Works No. 1996 in 1941. The loco was transferred to their Tinsley works in 1953, but returned to East Hecla by July 1954. Scrapped in 1960. The loco also carried the number 12785. 16?" x 61/2" letters lightly polished, back ex-loco The name "Czecho" is an abbreviation of the country Czechoslovakia.

Did Pecketts have classes as such ?

Richard

3. andysleigh

andysleigh Member

thanks for the info.

Never thought to see if peckett had classes, but they probably dont.

4. RGCorris

RGCorris Member

Have you had a look at Frank Jux's Peckett Locomotive Works List ?

Andrew Neale in NGW 43 (Jan/Feb 2006) referred to "..some lovely two-foot gauge 0-4-2STs for Hadfield's Steelworks in Sheffield built in 1941.." so presumably there was more than one of this design.

Richard

5. andysleigh

andysleigh Member

I haavnt seen the list.

In the book i have it says-

"Hadfields had always favoured Peckett 0-4-0st for their standard gauge fleet. It was therefore natural that when two more narrow gauge locos were needed in 1941 to meet wartime demands that the order went to the Bristol firm. Typically Peckett produced a pair of neat 0-4-2st incorporating as many of their standard components as possible. In gesture of solidarity they were named FINLAND and CZECHO whilst two standard gauge 0-4-0ST built to the same order were similarly christened FRANCE and POLAND"

6. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

I have a few class's for Peckett's although I'm missing a lot. I also wouldn't be able to look at one and tell you what it was. They're along the lines of 'B2' 'M5' 'W5' 'X2' 'OX1' etc. Narrow gauge also has a class. The Irchester examples are 1870 'M7' 1871 'M7' & 2029 'R4'.
    Steve