If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Pen-y-Mount

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by lynton&barnstaple, Jun 13, 2010.

1. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

It is interesting to hear that WHHR intends to go ahead building a platform at Pen-y-Mount considering the current state of play.

2. Jark91

Jark91 Member

Does Pen-y-Mount not already have a platform?

3. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

Yes but towards the WHHR. It is their intention to build a platform on the RHe side...they claim to own that land

4. 48DL

48DL Member

WHHR do own the land but, and its a big but, it is up to FR & WHR if they wish to stop there, it is totally their choice and what the hell? its not going to cost them a penny.

5. TonyW

TonyW New Member

They should remove the connection and put up a large sign reading something like:

A DREAM DIED HERE - BECAUSE BOYS WILL ALWAYS SQUABBLE OVER THEIR TOYS

I'm not taking sides: Both railways have their faults.

6. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    Dreaming's no good. You have to actually make things happen.

7. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

Personally I can never see this platform being used except for a special working as the RHe would have nothing to gain but passengers to lose from their retail outlets.

8. lostlogin

lostlogin Member

For those not familiar with the ins and outs, when you state that WHHR own the land I presume that you mean they own the land they intend to build the platform on rather than they own the land that the track WHR of the is built on?

9. TonyW

TonyW New Member

A fair point.

How about:
    NOTHING HAPPENED HERE - BECAUSE BOYS WILL ALWAYS SQUABBLE OVER THEIR TOYS

10. 48DL

48DL Member

I do indeed (mean the platform bit is WHHR land not the trackbed)

11. 48DL

48DL Member

What about people riding on the WHHR and then joining a train to any of the stations on th F & WHR? Some income to be made there surely??

12. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    Is the flat crossing strike in treddle from the C'fon direction quite close to P-Y-M station?

If it is, as I see it, would you really want to stop the train, either parked over an Open Crossing, or having initiated the Cae Pawb procedure should the treddle be quite close to the station, possibly taking up the NR line for longer than is needed?

13. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    IIRC it's pretty much alongside the north end of PyM platform.

14. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Yes, but less income than if they'd travelled via Harbour station. There's also the problem that northbound, passengers wont leave the train at PyM but potentially quite a few could try and join - going by current loadings, there's a real risk that some wont be able to get on and that could prove an issue for the WHHR when it comes to giving full refunds if they do through ticketing. Unfortunately there are no easy solutions...

Chris

15. glastonrail

glastonrail New Member

Civil Engineering Student at the University of Ply
    Possibly use something similar to St. Mary's station on the IoM, where the level crossing is right at the end of the platform. The station master activiates the sequence for the crossing lights just before the train departs (Douglas-bound) using a key switch mounted on the wall. Similarly at Rudyard Lake (10.25") the crossing lights at Rudyard station are activated by the guard or loco crew just before departure; treadles activate it coming the other way.

Something similar could be employed at P-y-M I'm sure... ...

Dom

16. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    Then every single train would have to stop there, adding to an allready long journey time.

17. 48DL

48DL Member

It may not generate as much revenue as passengers joining the train at Harbour station but it would still be revenue and apart from the cost of printing a ticket, no cost to F & WHR, they have not had to pay for the platform....... or am I missing something glaringly obvious? (It has been known for me to do that on occasion)

18. sycamore

sycamore Member

Guard & Signalman (E&BAR) / Driver (HVMR)
    Embsay or Bolton Abbey, sometimes in between...
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Anybody know what the proposed number of trains is expected to be at any one time? At the moment I believe it is 2, seems a long line for just two trains even with 25mph running!

I have read somewhere (www.isengard.co.uk I think), that only 6 trains are going to run through to Port? How many are likely to terminate at Pont Croesor? Surley Pen-y-Mount would be a more suitable destination if Harbour is likely to get too conjested? - at least you could walk into town!

Regards
    Will.

Embsay

19. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    The timetable has not been finalised.

20. TonyW

TonyW New Member

From http://www.caernarfonherald.co.uk/caernarfon-county-news/local-caernarfon-news/2010/06/17/final-welsh-highland-railway-link-work-to-start-soon-in-porthmadog-88817-26666520/

Quote:
    Full passenger services are expected to start in early 2011, with Andrew Thomas adding: “The next few months will be about ensuring that everything works and is ready for next year, from the level crossings to warning lights. A train will take less than 30 seconds to cross the road, so it should have no effect on traffic flows, and there is a speed limit imposed of 10mph. We will only be looking to terminate around six trains a day at Porthmadog Harbour Station, with the remainder of our services on the Welsh Highland Railway terminating at Pont Croesor.”

30 seconds to cross Britannia Bridge seems ambitious to me.