If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

[Photoplug] Swedish steam survivors 2014

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by wcmlbls1846, Sep 19, 2014.

1. wcmlbls1846

wcmlbls1846 Well-Known Member

Here are photos of 23 Swedish standard gauge locos, including two on the Nene Valley Rly in 1979 and four in the Netherlands on the South Limburg Steam Rly (ZLSM). There are also photos of four 60cm gauge locos imported to Sweden, and five photos of a Cowans Sheldon 50 ton breakdown crane at work. Pursuing the Cumbrian connection, I have included a photo of the Whitehaven-built steel sailing ship Af Chapman (1888), which is now preserved in Stockholm.

http://andrewstransport.smugmug.com/Other-2/Swedish-steam-survivors/44415387_SLZdS4#!i=3545966721&k=H2VgLgQ

Cheers

Andrew N

Corbs likes this.
  2. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for sharing. In my girlfriend's hometown there is a fledgling heritage railway project, no steam yet but some lovely railbuses, they do a trip to Gävle every year on the main line.
    Are there any plans to bring the SJ locos at the NVR back into service? They seemed instrumental in the early days but appear to have fallen by the wayside as more ex-BR locos became available.

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The owner of the Swedish B passed away some time ago now and I've no idea what provisions, if any, he made for the loco's future.

Corbs likes this.
  4. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Which town is that? I'd like to help if it's anywhere near where I now live....

5. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

In Norberg, it's the Engelsberg-Norbergs Järnvägshistoriska (ENJ) - they run from Ängelsberg to Kärrgruvan via Norberg. Recently they were in danger as the huge forest fire came as far as Norberg and Ängelsberg, but it looks like the railway (and the roundhouse where the railbuses are kept) survived intact.
    They also do some work in the loco shed at Avesta, they rebuilt one of their diesel locos 'Jungen' there. The other loco is called 'Grodan' (The frog).
    It's in Västmanland. Where do you live now?

This is their facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/EnjEngelsbergNorbergsJarnvagshistoriskaForening?fref=ts

Here are a few pics I took in February 2014
    [​IMG]
    Grodan outside the engine shed at Kärrgruvan - I believe the shed is the oldest such building in Sweden

[​IMG]
    Over the past year they have re-built a new station building at Kärrgruvan ('swamp mine') yard - Swedish buildings seem to come in kit form and can be re-assembled!
    I think the timber wagons were being stored for SJ.

... and these are from Summer 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think that's the old station building on the left, now a hostel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Martin Perry likes this.
  6. Johnw

Johnw Part of the furniture

7. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Oh, that's quite a bit further north from where I am in Östergötland. I'll definitely put it on the list of railways to visit next summer. It looks standard gauge in the photos?

8. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    At least one of the ZLSM locos is passed to run along the NS mainline to Valkenburg each operating day and longer distances to visit the VSM at Apeldoorn. Somewhat different world to what we are used to!

Steven

Corbs likes this.
  9. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Yep it's standard gauge, the route actually crosses over SJ lines twice on the way to Ängelsberg, once when the Kärrgruvan branch joins the goods-only route to Fagersta, and then a north-south chord from that route takes the train into Ängelsberg, but the ENJ station platform (and the roundhouse beyond) is on the opposite side of the main line, so ENJ trains cross over again.

10. William Coleman

William Coleman New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    SJ S1 1928 left the NVR a while ago and now is sat outside near a farm unfortunately :( 101 is apparently in for overhaul after City of Peterborough. 1178 needs a lot of work. There is another B class in the UK No.1313 at the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway its planned to be overhauled once the line is extended or once they get time.

11. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

what gauge is the Deutz do you know?

12. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

13. Reading General

we have similar deutz in Ireland. This is G601 in my home stattion

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    Corbs likes this.
  14. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

15. Reading General

She is preserved by the Irish Traction Group in Carrick on Suir. They have a couple more of a slightly later type too and other locos.

Corbs likes this.