If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Photos and Information on ELR required - can you help?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by amcoward, Jul 2, 2013.

1. amcoward

amcoward New Member

Controller Metrolink
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Following the success of my book, The Decline of British Railways in Bury and Rossendale, which has now virtually sold out (only three copies remaining for direct sale - although I believe the East Lancashire Railway at Bury and Ian Allan Bookshop in Manchester still have a few copies available), I am now beginning work on the follow up, which is to be titled The Revival of the East Lancashire Railway in Bury and Rossendale.

The follow-up will focus on the work of the East Lancashire Railway in re-establishing the Bury to Rawtenstall line, followed by the Bury to Heywood route, throughout its history from 1968 through to the present day. From the initial research (and personal experience) it’s a fascinating story and will hopefully provide a fitting tribute to all the staff and volunteers, past and present, who have restored the line into one of the country’s leading heritage railways.

I am looking for photographs and documents relating to the ELR and its history from 1968 through to the present day which anyone may have and be willing to share with a wider audience. There have been countless steam and diesel locomotives that have been used on the railway since it reopened in 1987, and I aim to try and include at least one photo of as many of these as possible. Unfortunately I am unable to pay for use of material in the book (which is being compiled on a voluntary basis), but any photos used will be credited and a complimentary copy of the book supplied to anyone whose photo is published within it.

Whilst the photographs will bring the book to life, the book will also feature a detailed text content, along the lines of the earlier volume, and I hope that the book will be completed early in the new year (I suspect there is too much for me to do on it, for it to be released in time for this Christmas). Due to the amount of material and information, it is possible that it may well be produced in two volumes.

The first book raised just under £5,000, which has been divided between the East Lancashire Railway Preservation Society and the East Lancashire Railway Holdings Co Ltd (the charitable arm of the ELR). All profits generated by these future volumes will also be donated to the two organisations and I stress that this is being done on a not-for-profit basis by myself.

Anyone who has any photos that they would like to submit for possible inclusion is invited to contact me by PM, or email me at AndrewmcowardATaol.com (replace AT with @ please). All contributors submitting photos that are used in the book will be supplied with a complimentary copy as soon as it has been published and all photos will remain copyright of their owner and will be credited as such within the book.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who feels that they are able to help. Thanks.

Regards

Andy Coward