If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Possibility Of A Bobbies Strike At Easter.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by saltydog, Mar 21, 2010.

1. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    There are two tours scheduled for Easter Saturday.....5043 Solihull - Salisbury, and 30777 + 70013 Bristol - Penzance.
    So let's hope a resolution to this dispute can be found quickly.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...rkers-vote-to-strike-over-easter-1924069.html

2. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Not a hope I'm afraid

Network Rail are looking to cut costs by no less than 21% and the numbers of men affected is ridiculous.

Fancy maintaining over thirty miles of track with three men, including track in the Pennines where we still get winters. NR think you can do it with one man, a chopper, and an infra red camera!

This one is going to run and run

3. John2

John2 Member

The signalman/MOMs dispute is about PT&R, T3s and rostering. The p.way/s&t dispute is about the 1500 redundances and new rosters. The clerical/management dispute is about pay.

John.

4. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

Amazed that this hasn't had more comments. Are the consequences of the dispute dragging on too awful to think about? Look at UK Steam tour dates and you'll realise what a threat it would be to the tour operators' business, even if the staff were only to strike on bank holidays.

5. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It has been suggested that bank holidays and weekends are pretty safe - just think of the extra pay for working such days (and who would notice a Signallers Strike when much of the network is closed for engineering anyway!)

As the vote in favour was 54% of the 71% of RMT Signallers who voted, the BBC website suggested actually calling a walk out is not something the RMY might rush to do, and both sides are due at ACAS this week, so hopefully there will be a resolution without any actual disruption.

Steven

6. 782sirbrian

782sirbrian Member

Joiner
    I really hope this can be solved without disruption to travellers. Some good steam tours listed for the coming months. I would imagine its hard enough getting bums on seats without any insecurity of a tour taking place.

Brian

7. maureen

maureen Member

In the past rail strikes have usually taken place on weekdays to maxamise the greatest inconvenience to commuters going and coming from work, rail strikes rarely take place at weekends unless of course they decide to change that, let's hope a solution is found to settle the dispute.

8. Groks212

Groks212 Well-Known Member

Unions have now announced the strike dates following the failure to reach agreement at ACAS.

FOUR days consecutive from 6th to 9th April for TSSA members, RMT members to strike on the same days from 6am to 10 am and 6pm to 10pm.

Not looking good for GB3 :sorry:

Lets hope they can resolve it before then :pray:

Dave B

9. saltydog

Retired
    Because this strike has been on the cards for sometime hopefully Mr. Dobbing and WCRC have done some contingency planning. Such a pity that one of the most high profile tours of the year could be hit.
    Let's hope that a resolution to this dispute can be found quickly.

10. MAPLE CHRIS

MAPLE CHRIS Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Dont think GB3 will run if these strikes go ahead as Network rail have said most services will be cancelled.

11. Panniertank

Panniertank New Member

A swift decision is needed for those booked on GB3, as many will have arranged leave from work, travel arrangements to and from London, and in some cases hotels at the start and finish of the tour. The more notice that is given for postponement, or cancellation, gives the customers a better chance of recovering any additional costs.
    A high risk strategy hoping that a resolution can be found in the next week, difficult for RTC as the hotel arrangements were advised to customers today.

12. Groks212

My local TOC are planning to run a normal full daytime service to and from London on those days according to their website and apparently contingency plans are being put in place for GB3, just have to wait for RTC to let us know them.

Dave B

13. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
  14. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
  15. 30910

30910 Member

Retired
    Not commenting on the need for a strike as I don't have sufficient knowledge.

Just a thought - many trips can't proceed without positioning moves for stock and/or locos. No doubt these will have the lowest priority. And punters staying overnight for a tour could need rail transport on the day before the trip. Many potential problems for charters, charter operators and charter customers if the strike(s) do go ahead.

Chris

16. J Shuttleworth

J Shuttleworth Member

In order to avoid any disquiet on this site, especially for the booked passengers, I should state straightaway, that NR and ourselves (and, of course, RTC) are already looking at contingencies (including the ecs moves), in order that these actions do not ruin GB3 and the other tours planned during the notified dates.

JS

17. Groks212

Thanks for that Mr Shuttleworth and good to see you back on the forum.

Dave B

18. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Yes thanks for that James, most of us will take it for granted that WCRC, RTC & NR will do everthing possible to keep the tours operating.

19. dp266

dp266 Member Account Suspended

Project Management
    Perhaps a cautionary tale for the future and hopefully many will have done this, but having travel insurance booked ahead of any announcements means that any cancellation/curtailmet will be met by the insurance company. Travel insurance is only applicable if there is an overnight stay involved, which means GB3 qualifies. If anyone has an annual policy then they will be covered automatically. Day tours are not covered as they do not involve overnight stays as part of the package.

In essesnce customers can protect themselves and should. Whilst WCRC and RTC will do their best to mitigate, we as grown ups, should have looked to protect ourselves properly too. As the potential disruption is outside the control of all the organisations, it is unfair to expect them to pick up the tab when insurance should have been taken out.

20. saltydog

Retired
    On a lighter note. Listening to radio 5 Live this morning I heard a spokesman for Network Rail accuse the RMT of living in the steam age.
    Good job he doesn't know about us then!!!!!!!