If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Preserved Railways at Model Exhibitions

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by JohnR, Mar 3, 2010.

1. JohnR

JohnR New Member

I've been asked by the preserved railway that I am involved with to look into attending some of the local model railway exhibitions with a display to hopefully increase interest in our railway. We are short on volunteers and members (although I suppose most lines could say that!) so we would be hopeful that such a stand would increase that - although also increasing visitors would be good too.

Does anyone here have any experience of such things? Are they worth it? Would a preserved railway be charged for having such a stand?

2. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    It depends on what you plan to do and which exhibition you are talking about. An information stand usually isn't charged but when you start trading in souvenirs etc usually there are charges. Speak to the Exhibition Manager of the event(s) you are thinking about. They don't bite.

3. JohnR

JohnR New Member

We wouldnt be selling souvenirs etc - at most it would be back issues of our newsletter, or booklets telling the history of our line etc. I'm afraid I got the idea at Model Rail Scotland, and have now been asked to carry it out! I wouldnt anticipate starting at such a large exhibition.

4. kesbobby

kesbobby Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Model railway exhibitions here in Kent usually have several preservation societies in attendance offering everything from information to 'industrial - standard' sales. The publicity seems to benefit them all, but not necessarily on the day. However, if you don't use every opportunity to advertise there could be a lot fewer visitors and volunteers.

5. steamybrian

steamybrian New Member

Retired
    I have attended many model railway exhibitions in the South East with a preserved railway stand. There are many questions to ask the Exhibition Manager before agreeing to attend-
    how much rent space they charge for the stand- Some exhibitions can charge £50plus for the site.
    Rather than give a fixed amount for the site then agree on a percentage of your takings (maybe 10%) particularly if you are unsure of how much money you will take.
    What is the average attendance in previous years shows- I attended one show with 50 visitors all day which was a complete waste of time and never attended again when invited.
    Will you get a good site and not tucked away in a corner in a back room-
    What other railway stands will be attending- You do not want a number of other societies all competing for the same customers. Avoid other stands selling the same merchandise as you.
    How far do the stewards have to travel- Consider the amount of hours/ miles travelling .
    It may be worthwhile taking a selection of items from the shop to sell- It is a family show so "Thomas" items ,childrens toys, books/dvds of local interest should also sell well.
    Try giving out timetable leaflets to every visitor passing your stand on the day.
    Have you a display board showing photographs of your railway which you can present. Speak to the exhibition manager who may find you space to place it if not then behind your stand space. Maybe you have a tv/dvd which you can show a film on your stand of the railway.
    Remember it is a family show.
    At the end of the day if you have covered your costs then it is worthwhile just for the publicity.

6. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I am one of a team who usually attends York Model Railway show over Easter.
    do not try and do it on your own, if 3 staff are permitted use 3 and if over a number of days use even more.
    We will be using a daily crew of 3 for 3 days on the stand but actually using about 7 different people.
    We find a lot of people use us for information about events and happenings on the NYMR.
    We do dish out a lot of timetables and other leaflets and according to information received, a reasonable proportion do actually then go to the railway.
    I have even given out hire details of a complete dining train which did come to pass.
    A lot of questions are, hopefully, answered satisfactorily.
    Do take information with you as a back up to leaflets and background information.
    I do use a mobile if required to ring up and ask if I don't know an answer and it is wanted straight away. So take a few contact phone numbers.
    I always take a folder of photos of stock, photos of events of the year gone by and of any plans over the next year. plus a stocklist.
    Last year there was a lot of interest in proposals for Bridge 30 works.
    This year I can foresee "How did it go? being asked a lot.
    If you have a video / DVD player or similar think about the stands around you after the 15th play of something it does get a bit annoying. Variety, change the film.
    Above all if you have the staff make sure you rotate. one goes for a wander round and sees the show for an hour or so then the next one does the same.

7. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    I agree with a lot of the points raised with practicalities and everything else but for me this was the way I got into volunteering on preserved railways in the first place. Became a friend at the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester in 2005 after the stand at the Manchester Model Railway Society Exhibition in October. Two years later I started as a volunteer there and I guess the rest as they say is history.

It doesn't neccessarily have to be high profile with all bells and whistle but simple things like friendly people, leaflets about the line and few other bits of interest.

Hope it all goes well.

Regards

Duncan