If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

"Preserved" steam locos that were subsequently scrapped

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by marshall5, Jan 9, 2015.

1. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Following on from the thread on defunct preserved railways I thought it might be interesting to look at the surprisingly large number of steam locos that were purchased, donated or otherwise acquired for "preservation" but were later cut up.
    Neglecting the Barry 5 that have been recently dismantled for 'New-builds' I can think of a few from 40 odd years ago to start off with and I hope others will 'chip in' with their more recent recollections.

B.R. 54398 Ben Alder originally in the BTC official list and stored from 1953 but cut up in 1967 as it didn't have its original H.R. boiler.
    B.R. 44781 which IIRC was one of the batch purchased by Steamtown members but was derailed during the filming of "The Virgin Soldiers" and cut up on the spot at Bartlow Essex in Sept '68 as it was too expensive to recover it.
    B.R. 3612 Dismantled in the 70's on the Severn valley. In fairness to the SVR it was purchased for spares for their other panniers.
    Peckett 830/00 (ex Rylands Warrington) and Sentinel 9529/51 at Lytham Motive Power Museum exchanged for ex Preston Docks Bagnall 'Princess' and cut up by Wards of Preston c. 1969.
    Avonside B3's MDHB #21 (1671/13) & 'Swansea' (1569/09) scrapped at Middleton c.1970. The intention had been to make one good one out of the two.
    Peckett 1038/06 also ex Rylands cut up at Chasewater in the 70's.
    Bagnall 0-4-0st (2178 or 2128/21) ex APCM Oxford ? built for export with a tropical cab. Offered to me by owner Keith Rose for 150 quid but the crown stays were knackered and it was cut up at Embsay in the early 70's.
    I suspect there are a lot more that didn't quite make it and I'm sure a few more will go yet so over to you.
    Cheers,
    Ray.

2. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Avonside 0-6-0ST 1945/1926, cut up at Elsecar in 2012.

3. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    What would you define as preserved though?1500 class 0-6-0PTs 1502 and 1509 came into SVR ownership and were scrapped, but were they ever really "preserved"?

4. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

There were some Southern examples from a long while back:

- The Drummond "Bug"
    - Isle of Wight Railway Beyer Peacock 2-4-0T "Ryde"
    - Beyer-Peacock 0-6-0 0334

All three were withdrawn in the 1930s and preserved at Eastleigh to form the basis of a small SR collection of relics and curios, but were scrapped during the war. (The body of "the Bug" still survives).

Stirling F1 4-4-0 No. 1231 made it as far as 1949. Preservation was considered and for a time it was stored at Ashford, but ultimately she was cut up as it would have been impossible to return her to "as built" condition with a Stirling boiler and cab - shades of the same reason as Ben Alder.

There were a couple of LBSCR "near misses". Several K class moguls (ideal now for heritage-line use!) had heavy general overhauls around 1961 and then went into store before being broken up in 1964 after a period out of use. Not strictly preserved, but a near miss - the Bluebell at the time considered them too big and, with money tight, didn't buy one.

Tom

5. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

I think a MR Johnson 0-4-4T and possibly another Midland loco were scrapped by Mr Stanier.

Dave

6. damianrhysmoore

damianrhysmoore Well-Known Member

Osteopath
    I'm sure I read somewhere that a Claude Hamilton was set aside for preservation but had 'save' written on one side only. The scrapman approached from the other side....A sad loss but at least we have the long wheelbase version

IamDaniel likes this.
  7. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    The original 'North Star'? As regards 44781 Im sure a gentleman from the Suffolk/Essex area did buy it from the film studios but then BR wanted an absolute fortune to rerail it then make sure it was fit for travel, as I understand he was messed around a fair bit and in the end had enough and called in a scrappy. Im sure the same guy bought the Norweigen mogul that opened the GC and ended up at Bressingham though. As usual happy for someone to correct me!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  8. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

You're correct, Dave. An 0-4-4T and a Kirtley 0-6-0 (with a straight running plate) were safely tucked away at Derby Works. Stanier spotted them, asked why they were there, & on being told that they were 'preserved', immediately gave instructions to break them up. Now, wasn't he also responsible for the scrapping of 'North Star' (as pointed out by Matt37401) and 'Lord of the Isles' at Swindon too?

9. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    Ahha! Cheers Mark I knew he had a paint shop purge at Derby. Completey forgot he did the same thing at Swindon, would I be right in thinking he went above his remit as regards North Star? When Churchward heard about what he did, he hit the roof?

10. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Quite correct Mark. Besides the two you mentioned there was also a M.R. 2-4-0 ( fortunately later replaced with 158A) and a North London 4-4-0T. I saw a photo of them all just recently but can't, now, remember where! As regards 1502 & 1509 Jim I think the same applies as 3612 - just acquired for parts but you're right - I'd forgotten about them. I suppose the F.R/WHR single Fairlie 'Moel Tryfan' should be included as it was cut up at Portmadoc in 1954 after the Preservation Co. had taken over. I had a quick look on U.K locos.com/scrapped - there's a surprising number which suggests that quite a few industrials have 'bit the dust' in remote corners of many heritage railways or in the 'care' of local authorities etc. Ray.

11. OldChap

OldChap Member

The SR shed at Fratton was used to store Locomotives earmarked for preservation - 30120, 30777, 30850, 30245 etc were stored there in the old roundhouse, however several were subsequently send off for scrap:

At Fratton in 1963 were Z 30952, U 31610, Q 30538, L1 31757 and some time later 80010 ( the first built BR std 4 tank from Brighton) all for stored for preservation.

Additionally M7 30133 was saved for possible boiler donation to another preserved Drummond loco (55189?) and also 35012 United States Lines was requested to be preserved/donated in the USA but shipping costs would not be met by the UK government or BR so it was also scrapped.

See Nine Elms forum for some details: http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/t444-visits-to-fratton-mpd-1964-and-1965

30133 in store at Fratton
    [​IMG]
    Picture Source: https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5224/5689100839_e2a1c64140_z.jpg

80010 and 30587
    [​IMG]
    Picture Source: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8167/7179968655_ea44286c87_z.jpg

30120 and the 'unsaved' 30952 behind
    [​IMG]
    Picture Source: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-6902-0-06885300-1396389927.jpg

L1 31757
    [​IMG]
    Picture Source: http://www.rcts.org.uk/photographs/archive/380/CH/CH01510.jpg

12. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Trouble is there are a lot of hearsay stories about that and its difficult to know what really happened. Unless someone can find something in real documents somewhere how is anyone to know. Most of what we have is from people who were junior staff at the time and it might easily be office gossip, not the real decisions.
    It seems to me that Churchward fans like to blame Stanier, and Stanier fans like to blame Churchward.
    Another story is that North Star and Lord of the Isles were only scrapped after Swindon failed to find any museum to take them on. [and that, he adds three years later, turns out to be the truth. Its in the GWR locomotive committee minutes at Kew. It was absolutely nothing at all to do with Stanier who was rather junior at the time, and the GWR spent over two years trying to find a home for them before giving up - see https://www.devboats.co.uk/gwdrawings/northstarmyth.php ]

=================================

A matching thread might be locomotives that were bought for spares and subsequently restored. At least one of the 6400 pannier tanks I believe, and I'm sure quite a few more.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    Jamessquared likes this.
  13. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    AE 1671 was certainly bought for spares by Middleton. AE 1569 was subsequently sold to Keith Rose. We were told it was going to Embsay but it went to the scrap man, instead.
    What about the various locos owned by the 'Titanic Steamship Co.' and subsequently scrapped?

14. WB2624

WB2624 New Member

Sadly a fair number of steamships have been scrapped in preservation - steam tugs 'Goliath' and 'Chipchase' at Maryport spring to mind.

15. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

Hawthorn Leslie crane tank 'Pallion' springs to mind.

Can the cannibalised engines of the Barry Ten, 30841, the Austerity which became the replica 'Iron Duke', and the Rainhill replica 'Rocket' be counted as scrapped?

16. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

3681 & 3758 were stored at Bristol Bath Road Depot during 1966 (after their last depot Bath Green Park closed) for the abortive Yatton - Clevedon preservation attempt which was scuppered by the lack of finance & plans for the M5 motorway.

At least one was repainted IIRC but both were consigned to Cashmores at Newport when it became clear that there were no funs sufficient to purchase them.

6853 Morehampton Grange at Tyseley which was the subject of a preservation where the depot locomen had the finance to purchase promised but no site to take it to thereby ending the attempt at saving it.

ZaphodScotsman likes this.
  17. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

18. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

Am pretty sure it's Pallion's chimney 'spare' at Foxfield.

Jon

19. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    A Z class would have been an interesting proposition. In fantasyland, it could have been returned to NR metals for one purpose only: getting any Exeter-London railtour up the hill...

20. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    7802 was bought for spares for 7812 and modern traction wise 55016 was bought for spares for 55022.