If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

PRZEWORSK-DYNÓW Narrow gauge future ?

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by ADB968008, May 18, 2009.

1. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

This weekend I was in Southern Poland, and paid an often regular visit to this interesting narrow gauge line.
    At one stage rumoured to be bought by Connex! no less, little has become of this freight / passenger narrow gauge line which is largely run as a tourist attraction with minimal help from the local council.

At 46km this narrow gauge line is one of the longer lines in Poland, and I believe it is claimed the only narrow gauge line in Poland with a tunnel and to cross via level crossing over the international main road to Ukraine, sitting very close to Jaroslaw, the line has an interchange yard in Przeworsk, with the Przemsyl - Krakow main line, where standard gauge wagons are loaded onto narrow gauge transporter wagons.

Rumours 2 years ago that their PX48 could be overhauled and returned to steam have come to nothing, in 2007 PKP put their static Ol49 up for sale, and later announced it was going for scrap, at which I stepped in as the only bidder, and was promptly refused for not being Polish, and later my wife who is Polish tried. She was then informed the engine was now no longer for sale to anyone intersted in anything other than scrap. I asked for Fundacja Era Parowozów to assist and showed my interest in keeping it locally, at which they promptly said they won't work with foreigners !..2 years on both the OL49 and the PX48 continue to rot.

It looks like 2009 things have turned for the worst..

The highspeed mainroad E40 between Krakow and Ukraine is being upgraded throughout to a dual carriage way at high speed, in preparation for the 2012 Euro Footbal tournament this will cut the line in two, there are no plans for a tunnel and it seems this line is about to become doomed. Add to this the council's sudden lack of interest this year suddenly their diesel service this year has been suspended..as EU money for the road has been recieved.. it seems the end is nigh for this interesting line.

Here's a web page (not mine) from happier days.

http://marcin.czelusc.tbg.net.pl/dynow.html