If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Public Access Photography - the PM speaks

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Fred Kerr, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    The PM has clarified the situation re taking photographs in public places - but in his usual manner only muddied the waters further ;

http://www.bjp-online.com/public/showPa ... age=835597

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Re: Piublic Access Photography - the PM speaks

3. Neville Philpott

Neville Philpott New Member

Presumably press photographers would not be subject to these restrictions...

4. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

Interesting that the statement only mentions the police being the ones able to ask you to move on in public places.
    Probably worth printing out for use with the odd "jobsworth".

5. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

But remember, a railway station is not a public space, so this statement has no impact on photography at a station..

6. Re: Piublic Access Photography - the PM speaks

7. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist

The point at issue, AIUI, was the right of photographers to taker photographs from either a public place OR a place to which the public have normal ( unrestricted ) access. This answer may be clear to the politically minded but to the "man on the Clapham omnibus" it does not identify places of unrestricted photography because it adds the rider that the police have an over-riding right to prohibit photography- noting that "each situation will be different and it would be an operational matter for the police officer concerned as to what action if any should be taken in respect of those taking photographs."

Since the original petition was raised to define exactly what are the limits of "an operational matter for the police officer concerned" Mr Brown's response offers no clarification at all. For example if you are stopped by the police under Section 44 of the Terrorism Act then the police officer MUST have the written authority of a Senior Officer ( above rank of Commander in London or Assistant Chief Constable in the provinces ) and he can be challenged on these grounds if he attempts to stop anyone for whatever reason; the only get-out for the police is that verbal authority HAS been given because of time constraints in an "emergency situation" but written authority will follow.

The other point of issue is the rights of public photography on railway stations as this is of most concern to railway photographers but since stations are considered ( in law ) as private property to which the public has normal ( albeit restricted ) access then railway photographers are subject to the conditions of access applied by the property owner ( i.e. Network Rail or TOC ). As Snapper has been made aware from various postings there is a lack of consistency hence the current approaches being made to ATOC to produce a consistent policy that can be applied by the property owners wishing to protect their property and acceptable to those railway photographers who wish to visit their property.

Mr Brown has has not even answered this latter point and therefore - as stated in my original posting - his answer leaves the matter totally unresolved and therefore justifies my view that he has simply "muddied the waters".

8. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired

The British police state rides on. Why does it have to be such a big deal if someone wants to take photos on a station?

Obviously if someone sets up a tripod on the middle of the platform at Waterloo, with thousands of commuters streaming off the 08.05 from Basingstoke or wherever, he needs to be shown the error of his ways. Otherwise, live and let live; please don't insult my intelligence with chogachook about 'terrorism'. I am not aware of anyone having been killed by a camera, and station layouts are well known enough without anyone neeeding photos, to plan an attack.

No doubt that has just earned me an entry on the national database, with an ASBO to follow!

John

9. Spamcan81

Training moles

10. Cambrian55

Cambrian55 Member Friend

Engineer.

And yet there are those on this forum who cannot see this, 'you have nothing to fear if you do nothing wrong' ](*,)

11. Spamcan81

Training moles

Tell that to those who have been victims of miscarriages of justice. Plus it's the police who can decide if you're doing wrong or not according to No.10's reply.

12. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired

Not wanting to go too far OT, but I hear that civil servants will have power to revoke passports and driving licences of fathers who don't pay maintenance. I don't defend deadbeat dads and am all for kicking their butts; however it should be by process of law. How many perfectly decent John Smiths will suddenly find they can't go on holiday abroad with or without their family, because someone in a governmnet office mixed him up with another John Smith? Of course, New Labour functionaries never make mistakes, do they?

John

13. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Gents, we're veering onto the unnecessarily political here, can we get back on topic please? Else I'll have to fetch my key.

14. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver

What exactly is "Piublic Access" anyway
    ^

#-o

15. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer

¿Qué?