If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

"Queen of Scots" nameplate?

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by Cez15, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Cez15

Cez15 New Member

Hi! I live in Australia near an antiques store, and have had my eye on what appears to be some kind of name plate for the "Queen of Scots" train. The sign is pretty big (don't have exact measurements), is pretty boofy and made of iron, it's also kind of arched. The letters and raised border are black, while the background is white. It looks in ok condition, definitely used and a couple of spots of rust, but nothing devastating.

Does anyone know if this is likely to be authentic? I understand there were two Queen of Scots trains, is this more likely to be from the more modern one? Is it likely to be worth much money (ie enough for a ticket for the Trans-Siberian?!)

2. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi Cez15 and welcome.

Is this the plate?

5.jpg

3. Cez15

Cez15 New Member

Hey Alan! No that's not it - I found that picture while I was doing some research. The plate is this shape: http://www.suffolkregiment.org/SRM_Train_Nameplate.jpg but is white with the black raised lettering in capitals. Would there be more than one name plate? Or would this be a name plate from a wheel arch? I couldn't really find out too much... Cheers!

4. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

The plate in your picture looks like a locomotive nameplate. The plate in my picture is a headboard which was carried by
    whatever locomotive was hauling the 'Queen of Scots' Pullman train, which ran between London (Kings Cross) and
    Glasgow (Queen Street). Sorry I can't shed any more light on your plate, but stick around 'cos I'm sure someone on here
    will know all about it!

5. K14

K14 Member

The description sounds suspiciously like this take on Royal Highlander (link)

Quite a few on Ebay - modern work of fiction, not even a replica.

Buy it only if

a) you like it, &
    b) it's really cheap.

P.

6. Cez15

Cez15 New Member

Ah cheers K14, I think you may be right. Cheers for your help!