If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Railcar on Launceston Steam Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by nanstallon, Nov 25, 2008.

1. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There was a nice item on local Westcountry news today - a vintage car with flanged wheels was being driven along the track. It will be there for public viewing after Boxing Day - the Railway will be running for the week between Boxing Day and New Years Day, I've been told. Presumably, the public will ride on more conventional steam trains as the car would only take four or five passengers at a time!

John

2. kalahari

kalahari New Member

3. Charobin

Charobin Member

Yes, it is Adrian Shooter's Model T railcar, as seen at Statfold. It is currently on an extended holiday in Cornwall and should be on display during the "Bah Humbug Specials"; unfortunately it is thought that the railway's insurance will not cover rides for the public in it. Interestingly we all thought the bodywork was a replica, but it turns out to be an original body from Uganda.

Incidentally, the "Bah Humbug Specials" (Boxing Day - New Years Day) will be running at reduced fares of Adults £5, Children £2.50. Lilian and Covertcoat (if her new tank is on in time) will be doing the honours, possibly with Velinheli if her owner wishes to steam her.

4. Charobin

Charobin Member

Further publicity in the form of an article on the BBC Cornwall website here. The audio report on the page is worth a listen, but in my honest opinion the article isn't that worthy of more than a skim read as it is a rehash of the audio report & LSR website/leaflet!

Possible plans for the 09 season on the LSR include Dorothea entering service, visiting Darjeeling saddle tank loco, and maybe even a GW Prairie in steam at Launceston...... :-k

5. triassic

triassic Member

How come the change of mind, I thought they weren`t opening for the 2009 season?

6. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Let's just be glad they are opening in 2009! Taking June off, but otherwise we can look forward to this narrow gauge outpost in the coming year.

John

7. Charobin

Charobin Member

Another article on the Model T can be seen here - think this one was in today's Western Morning News.

As John says the LSR will be very much open for the 2009 season but with the owners taking June off (rather than the whole year as had been mooted); trains are running for a week at Easter, a week for the May half term hols and then July - September daily except Saturdays. Exact dates are on the website. Of course for anyone wanting a fix of steam at Launceston earlier than that there are still 3 days left of the "Bah Humbug Specials"!

8. H F Stephens

H F Stephens New Member

I had a good look at the Model T railcar today, although it's rather jolly I can't say that it appears to be well engineered. The way the sprocket is attached to the axle is appalling, and alot of the conversion is crude and ill finished. If I were the owner and had paid someone to build it I'd be asking for my money back.

At least the brakes work now, but why didn't the original constructor fix them properly?

9. H F Stephens i suggest you introduce yourself before making rash statements criticising other peoples work

10. Charobin

Charobin Member

The work done by Tuckett Brothers for the Model T is top quality. On the other hand the work by Hunslet has attracted comments from several engineers along the lines of yours. For an answer to your question you would probably have to speak to Adrian Shooter and/or Graham Lee, though!

11. kscanes

kscanes Resident of Nat Pres

I've not seen it myself to comment, but I wonder if perhaps the railcar is intended to be a replica of something that actually existed, and the engineering is deliberately rough and ready to represent the reality of a backwoods conversion carried out in the early 20th century by the local blacksmith?

12. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

And which "engineers" would these be then?.... Witnessing someone accuse Graham Lee of second rate engineering (face to face) would be "interesting" !
    Such comments are uncalled for and frankly, quite out of order.

13. David Ward

David Ward Well-Known Member

Driver- Northern Rail at Liverpool Lime St
    Another person quick to cricise others but not reveal their own identity. I'm sure most people on this forum are becomming tired of these faceless cowardly critics/trouble stirrers........

If you are to make such brash statements about someone else's work then please tell us who you are and what your experience/expertise in the field is, it will help to make your response more credible in most people's eyes.