If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

RMS Queen Mary to be restored?

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by John Elliot Jnr, May 3, 2009.

1. John Elliot Jnr

John Elliot Jnr Well-Known Member

Museum curator
    "Ambitious plans have been revealed to return the historic former Southampton liner Queen Mary to the seas...."

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/4339359 ... _the_seas/

2. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Nothing would please me more, but to what end ? Would they ever get a return on the investment required? Long Beach ripped out her guts during their 'conversion' in the early 70's. Most of the main bulkheads in the engine rooms were torn out to make an exhibition hall (which never came to fruition). This would have removed some of the structural strength of the hull ? It certainly did away with some watertight compartments! All the boilers were torn out, three of the turbines and prop shafts were removed. Only two of the original four props remain - one on the ship and one mounted on a plinth. I assume they would not restore her as quad screw steam (turbine) ship - but as diesel or diesel electric which may be much easier and economical.

I would have thought that an American company would have been more interested in giving this treatment to the SS United States?

If they ever did begin work on this project - I'd be terrified of waking up one morning to hear she was on fire from end to end - just like RMS Queen Elizabeth :(

Gonna watch this one with interest!

http://www.presstelegram.com/search/ci_ ... legram.com