If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

RTC 2023

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Bulleid Pacific, Oct 1, 2022.

1. 2857Harry

2857Harry Member

Conductor/Guard
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not entirely sure if the ORR have to continue the exemption beyond 30th Nov regardless. But again I could be wrongs

I always understand they were capped as you state above; but again I could be wrong.

2. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

I believe there is a regulatory rule that firms (TOCs in this case) must not be disadvantaged during legal action. Effectively the status quo is frozen. That is probably how we have got from spring 23 to today.

35B and 2857Harry like this.
  3. 2857Harry

2857Harry Member

Conductor/Guard
    With reference to the Question for timings for Saturdays York to Edinburgh run….When I checked this morning this said Approximate Times 0725, 0910, 0940 and 1350. It has now been altered to actual times so I imagine they do have some times available now.

Attached Files:

blink bonny likes this.
  4. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    blink bonny likes this.
  5. blink bonny

blink bonny Member

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
    DWH 2848, horace, beavis and 10 others like this.
  6. Champion Lodge

Champion Lodge New Member

OK, yes I agree sometimes diesel assistance is required to help make up time etc but turn back the clock 20 years or so, it was rare to even have a diesel tucked on the tail end. Now a days its a common thing and thing and the damn things are almost always pushing... if your idea of fun is being pushed around by a diesel all day long then thats fine. I'm one of the older folks who remember the best days of steam mainline line.... sadly on many of todays main line steam trips the steam loco is juts a show pony... perhaps loadings need to be looked at again so a steam loco can haul trains on todays network without assistance.

7. Will RL

Will RL Member

I’m afraid you’d be looking at Belmond prices or higher to facilitate eight coach formations…

Where possible, steam will go unassisted. But, when a diesel is in the consist, it is for legitimate reasons.

8. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    20 years is a long time to be making comparisons on the railway these days...

Lets take Central Scotland, my own area, for example. In the last 20 years, we've seen mass electrification with introduction of new electric fleets, multiple railway line reopenings with their subsequent increase in services into and out of both Glasgow and Edinburgh, and removal of much semaphore signalling around the Stirling area. The resultant increase in service patterns and speeds (both max, and acceleration and deceleration) make it an entirely different railway to try operate a steam tour along than 20 years ago.

9. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Taken a punt on Saturday's run to Edinburgh. Tickets have arrived, and scheduled locomotive is 35018, so a runner to the best of available knowledge. Will be rather pleased to get over 400 miles with it, and to cover London-Edinburgh with it in a single year.

RalphW and blink bonny like this.
  10. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Are you fairly new to the forum? If so, perhaps I should mention that the "diesel on the back" debate has cropped up in a number of threads and tends to go on and on and on - generating a lot of heat and very little light. Some people clearly don't mind a diesel on the back, others are vehemently against it. Both sides of the argument hold their views quite strongly but to my knowledge, very few - if any - people have changed their minds on this issue as a result of exchanges on this forum.

It is worth pointing out that quite a lot of main line steam still does run unassisted - notably the Jacobites, except when there is a heatwave, a good few trips over the Settle & Carlisle (except Saphos) outside leaf fall season and most of VT's Stratford trains. I see you're in Essex. I'm in Sussex and therefore like you, live quite a distance from these workings. I have accepted that if I don't want a diesel on the back, it either means a long journey to get to the starting point of these more regular runs, looking out for the occasional RTC working down south which usually runs unassisted (the "Atlantic Coast Express" being a good bet - at least, in recent years) or waiting for Clan Line's return and hoping there will be some cheaper trains on offer besides the British Pullman. For all anyone's strength of feeling over this issue, no amount of debating on this forum is going to change the philosophy of West Coast, Vintage Trains or LSL/Saphos/Steam Dreams one iota.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
  11. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Suggestion elsewhere ,from inside 10A ,of 46115 and 47802,as of yesterday .

12. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    No matter, it was booked prior to locomotive allocation and it's a day out while the proverbial sun is shining.

13. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    It’s not true to say the diesel is always pushing. I’ve been on several Bahamas trips and with Clan Line as part of the support crew where any diesel assistance deemed necessary is discussed between the two drivers. I related an incident on Bahamas thread where the normal water supply failed and the hydrant supply used was hopelessly slow. With only a few hundred gallons delivered and the following SW Trains service waiting at the signal behind us what would you have done? I was doing on train sales that day and at the back of the train the sound of the diesel working hard to the next waterstop was unmistakeable but no one complained. On lengthy journeys under the wires, such as the recent Euston-Manchester trip with Bahamas it only needs some poor quality coal leading to steaming difficulties to cause a major problem, for obvious reasons the fireman is not allowed to use the fire irons to liven up the fire.
    We are very fortunate to have some highly skilled footplate crews who are also railway enthusiasts, they wouldn’t do the job if they weren’t and they will only ask for assistance when it’s necessary. It must be remembered that they are not doing the job every day and unlike their BR predecessors have to be familiar with many different types of locomotives. The firing technique to get the best out of a Bullied Pacific is quite different to a Stanier engine for example.
    You need to understand that the main line railway is there to provide a timetabled service for the travelling public, it’s not a playground for steam enthusiasts but so far we are tolerated. Nothing is forever, just enjoy it while you can.

14. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    Your wider post describes everything we know or could have guessed even though the promoter doesn't say it, so it's a good post. However on the specific part I have referenced above, I really do have a problem with it.

There is something rather improper, in my view, if there is a mismatch between the motive power requested, the train length that the motive power can handle on its own and the price charged to break even at, say, 90% capacity. All of this should be thought about before the trip is promoted.

I know that the comment by the driver probably wasn't made with the above in mind but if we all start to get a sense that having dual motive power - steam and diesel - is a way of running and filling longer trains at competitive prices to maximise profit then we might as well give up on anything other than show pony trips on the main line. That would be a waste. You don't see them doing it on the Jacobite except when there is a fire risk so don't tell me that the public doesn't care. Of course they do.

15. 2857Harry

2857Harry Member

Conductor/Guard
    Thing is unless you can guarantee a class 7/8/9 on every trip you’re a bit stuffed for finding something that can haul the trains. And most of the time they don’t commit to the motive power till days before so often tour promoters actually won’t know.

I get where you’re coming from but I think it’s a 6 of 1, half a dozen situation.

16. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2023
  17. nhumble37

nhumble37 New Member

Bb, GREAT clear shot at Alnmouth -- just come back form a holiday in the area (& tried some NIGHT shots as well!!)
    --- could you PLS advise details (shutter spd/exp etc) of your shot as I would be VERY interested -- also, what type of
    camera/lens is it taken on
    MANY ta`s
    Neale

18. blink bonny

blink bonny Member

Canon EOS R5, handheld. 1/500 sec to freeze the action, lens wide open at F2.8 and even with ISO 32000 I was a bit underexposed for the loco, although the station was fine. Those overhead LED lamps are very directional, with no overspill of light onto the southbound track and I had to lift it in post. Thankfully these new mirrorless cameras have exceptional high ISO performance.

19. stevenjcrozier

stevenjcrozier New Member

I've been told it's Scots Guardsman on the York - Edinburgh charter tomorrow !

20. blink bonny

blink bonny Member

I like SG, but I was quite looking forward to the Merchant Navy for a change.