If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

S&D Railway Trust

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Andy Norman, Feb 24, 2020.

1. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    What, for saving the WSR? I'm not sure why they should have had any, other than drawing their supporters' attention to the WSR appeal. It would seem a little Byzantine for them to have their own "save the WSR" fund which they then hand over in a big lump to the Plc, just to justify their existence by pointing to a number.

2. Andy Norman

Andy Norman Member

I agree, even today I hear of the same old faces within the three boards (and some not currently on boards but looking to return) still plotting the same old over throw plots to take control in the same way they have all been all doing for the last 5-6 years whilst the financial reserves of the WSR dwindle away to nothing. Whilst the latest 'Dear Leader' has clearly upped the game and taken it to a new level of ruthlessness the underlying issues are still there and all still continue to try to 'take each other out'.

The difference is this time there are no more chances, ignoring all the morale wrong doing, Policy removals and contract breaking (I think 8 contracts broken in the last year now) and just looking at the financial aspect. The PLC is out of money and near to bankruptcy, it has no new income streams and is damaging its existing ones, its volunteers are quietly walking away (40% have gone if the figures I hear are correct). The WSRA have given most of what they have to the PLC, its membership is dropping, its income is falling quickly (30% down in the last 2 years), their own legal battle with 4160, and all they are capable of doing is to launch yet another 'just giving' appeal to remove yet more cash only from a dwindling volunteer base instead of looking outwardly and attracting 'new money'. And the WSSRT are bunkered down saying internally they are supporting the PLC whilst not saying that in public and seem to have given all their money to the PLC. To me it says the cash has run out all the way round now so no more cash bailouts as the last 12 months have allowed, no more 'family members' left to fleece, an expensive S&DRT legal battle fast coming over the hill and of course covid-19 to deal with (although as they have furlonged their staff with the government paying for the salaries, no VAT bill to pay, no rates to pay for 12 months, and interest relief on loans, etc. its not the threat it was a week ago).

Its just a crying shame that the rank and file volunteers who make the WSR great are all sitting quietly hoping somebody will sort this out, but I don't see any white knights here only more of the same in-fighting whilst Rome burns.

I believe only an external 'clean sweep' can save the WSR for future generations now. And before my usual PLC supporting critics start to undermine me again, no that doesn't include me. I've also by standing up and saying there is a problem become a part of the problem so I won't be applying to be the new leader or even a part of what comes next.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  3. Piggy

Piggy Member

Where's "Spartacus" ?

Monkey Magic and Andy Norman like this.
  4. Steve Edge

Steve Edge Member

Err, has not the thrust of argument here been that the S&DRT should be treated as part of the WSR family? Or, when asked to help out, do they just look the other way? Not our problem? Surely not.

Steve

5. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

To my mind, "one railway" doesn't mean each organisation has to have its own separate fundraising effort. I'd say it's a symptom of the opposite to one railway. With the GWSR's current efforts it so happens that the bank account people are being directed to is the Trust's, but as far as everyone is concerned, they're just donating to "the railway". There's no separate fund being run by any of the loco owning organisations based on the railway, but no doubt many of their members have donated, indeed I've seen the appeal being publicised on a couple of those loco owning groups' Facebook pages for example.

jnc and ghost like this.
  6. echap

echap New Member

Church Volunteer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Then logically, the Plc should take down its fundraising page and ask everyone to donate to the WSRA, who in most cases, can get Gift Aid on the donation. Could it be that simple?

7. The Dainton Banker

The Dainton Banker Well-Known Member

Hard to tell "the thrust of the argument" as it has not been spelt out by anybody official. But, to pick up your analogy, surely the S&DRT are NOT "part of the WSR family", they are an entirely separate and independent organisation with their own aims and objectives. They are, literally, tenants of the "family" and as such, should not be drawn into the "family's" internal problems. If they want, and are able, to help : fine, but they are under no obligation to do so and need to look after their own members interest first. A bit rich blaming them for a problem that is not of their making, don't you think ?

8. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

My recollection (I can’t be bothered to trawl through the entire thread or follow links) was that, as well as the oft mentioned beer festival proceeds, the trust had worked to support the WSR within the constraints of its charitable purposes.

Whether there was or is much money seems of limited relevance; rather that it appears to have consciously worked as part of the WSR family, rather than taking an isolationist approach. As, in addition to rent, the trust relieves the railway of significant costs by maintaining the site, I share the disbelief of others that this project is economically viable for the plc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. RailWest

RailWest Part of the furniture

Might not the same argument apply to (say) the DEPG? Clearly they 'help out' the WSR in an obvious way with their locomotives, but - like many loco-owning groups - they could in theory be located on many other railways instead, not being inherently 'tied' to a specific ex-GWR line in Somerset.

10. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

It seems a bit f-ed up to try to kick out a member of the family and then to expect them to cough up money to the person trying to kick them out?

You can't say 'part of the family' when you want money and 'cuckoo in the nest' when you want to kick them out.

If the WSR wants them to be part of the family then the first step ought to be withdrawing the eviction notice, this would then allow the S&D to concentrate on being part of the family and helping to support the WSR.

The WSR created this situation not the S&D.

11. The Dainton Banker

The Dainton Banker Well-Known Member

Of course. But, again, it is up to them to decide what they can and can't do in terms of their requirements and their constitution.

12. City of truro fan

City of truro fan Member

How long will Kilmersdon overhaul take? Thanks

13. tracker

tracker Member

Retired IT manager
    Washford is a wonderful clean site and I always look forward to seeing the station and surrounds. Dunster on the other hand is a disgraceful scrapyard....
    Robin L.

14. tracker

tracker Member

Retired IT manager
    NO... give to WSRA and they cannot pass it on to WSR PLC. With or without gift aid. Just look at the accounts. WSRA raises 6 figures funds and passes on three figures to WSR...the rest reported as "charitable purposes"
    Robin L.

15. Piggy

Piggy Member

Not forgetting 53808.

16. nine elms fan

nine elms fan Part of the furniture

Retired
    Whats the next move for the PLC, Asset stripping perhaps, hope not but watch out!

17. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    Point of information.

Last winter the WSRA contributed £187,000 to infrastructure works on the WSR.

That would appear to be 6 figures.

And the contribution to returning 9351 to traffic in spring / summer 2019 was in 5 figures - something over £30,000.

The budget for returning 4561 to traffic is a 5-figure sum spent monthly.

Robin

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Paul42, jnc, michaelh and 4 others like this.
  18. Shed Mouse

Shed Mouse New Member Account Suspended

Nibbling
    Apparently, the chairman is going to build a wall around Washford yard and he'll get them to pay for it. ;)

19. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    Always pleased to have constructive criticism. When you have some, do PM me. Sorry our first steps weren’t ‘crisp’ enough for you.

In the space of 10 days, and working within the government restrictions and in the margins of our other work, following the meeting at which we decided to launch WSR-TV the WSRA have:

* established a platform, brand and logo,
    * achieved ‘buy-in’ across the railway
    * learned to video-edit
    * garnered an increasingly diverse range of content and promise of more.

Yes, our early efforts were inevitably a bit ‘corny’ but we figured it was better to get something up rather than to wait a fortnight until we had passed our exams. You may thing the professionalism is improving with later efforts.

Constructive criticism would be welcome. But more help would be offers of suitable content.

Robin

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    malcolm imps likes this.
  20. Shed Mouse

Shed Mouse New Member Account Suspended

Nibbling
    BrightonBaltic, TseTT, 60017 and 9 others like this.