If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

S&D Railway Trust

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Andy Norman, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Paulthehitch

Paulthehitch Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    In the present situation, whether a "premier" line is "expected" to put on a "decent" gala is a bit beside the point. A number of the most anguished cries and vigorous shakings of collecting boxes emanates from such. They are in particularly desperate need to keep an eye on expenses.

Yes Alex, I can. However, the dreaded thread drift is accelerating here and if you really want to know, please get in touch privately. I doubt whether the answer will suit you!

2. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

I would gently point out that it was you who started the thread drift Paul! ;)

mgl, free2grice, Bluenosejohn and 2 others like this.
  3. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    Post covid 19, the leisure market will be very different, I don't expect people will have the disposable income or if they do, how long will it take before people begin to think its safe to go out now, especially if we see a second spike in cases,
    and its all a guessing game, i don't expect we will see that many galas in 2021, especially on the West Somerset Railway, because, i don't see then being in any fit state, to do anything but a slow rebuild up , because if the PLC take the railway to the brink, to prove they are in control, not anyone else, there will be no functioning company, to run anything, only a very long , slow rebuild of whats salvageable afterwards.

Graft on, keith6233 and Paulthehitch like this.
  4. Paulthehitch

Indeed so, which is why it ought to fall to me to shepherd it back.

MellishR and jnc like this.
  5. flying scotsman123

Isn't that a bit like an arsonist turning up in a fire engine to put out the fire? ;) (tongue very much in cheek!)

6. Paulthehitch

More analogous to the road to Damascus. Now back to our muttons!

7. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

Is 88 a big chuffer?

8. flying scotsman123

Please, please, let's not go there!

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    BrightonBaltic, Paulthehitch and 35B like this.
  9. 45076

45076 Member

Retired
    Thought this was the thread?
    S&D Railway Trust and Washford Eviction Notice

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2020
  10. bluetrain

bluetrain Well-Known Member

Indeed it is, and you only have to go back to Post #2262 from earlier today, to see that this affair makes waves even in Australia.

The discussion on galas in the Covid-19 aftermath is interesting, but perhaps deserves its own thread.

Getting back a little closer to topic, can I mention that Steve Edge has recently been posting lots of vintage photos on his web site, showing how the WSR gradually built up from a rather ramshackle affair in the 1970s to become one of the country's premier heritage railways by the turn of the millennium. All of which reflects a great deal of dedication and hard work by the railway's staff/volunteers and support groups (including the S&DRT) over many years. All heritage railways are at existential threat from Covid-19, but the WSR seems to face a double threat, caught in pincers between the virus and maladministration. We can only hope that it manages to pull through and get back on the right track.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2020
  11. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

Couldn’t resist!

Back with the thread.
    There have been many musings on what ORR may or may not have required WSR to do. Including people searching the ORR website for public record entries about WSR matters.

In the first instance, ORR usually give guidance and requirements in writing to the railway undertaking, that is both specific and detailed.
    There is usually a timescale for either information to be provided such as records, or for improvements that are sufficiently serious to warrant a letter setting out the requirements. But not so serious that an immediate public record Improvement or Prohibition Notice.
    Those Notices are usually issued after an incident out of which ORR have discovered management deficiencies. See SDR missing toilet floor.

Having been on the receiving end of vexatious false allegations from a member of public, that reached the same ORR Inspector’s desk. I was asked to submit to ORR information to prove the allegations false.
    This was accepted and the file created by the allegations, while still extant, was closed.

When the complaints from WSR personnel and maybe members of public reached ORR, their Inspectors would have contacted WSR, asking for a response.
    From this point on, I have no idea whether ORR said, that’s not good enough, we’re on our way. Or if WSR said, come and see for yourself.

12. City of truro fan

City of truro fan Member

They are hunting them down and shoot them with the tank bang bang

13. RailWest

RailWest Part of the furniture

When the Plc asked them to fund a new tank, this was probably not what they had in mind :)

Also see at last year's rally of course was this Coach - now, where have we seen that before? Enjoy it on the WSR while you still can....

Attached Files:

14. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

Maybe there is a wee bit of envy by the PLC? :D:D

BrightonBaltic likes this.
  15. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver
    Just so happens I was watching "Go to Blazes" before going to work Saturday afternoon. Eric Morley as the arsonist, Dennis Price on the fire engine. The

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    nine elms fan likes this.
  16. ross

ross Well-Known Member

Drift Warning!
    It has been stated that galas might bring n number of additional punters compared with a normal weekend. How many of those visitors would have visited on any other day, but think "when shall I visit this railway? I will go when the gala is on and see x and y locomotives, which otherwise I would need to travel to that railway to see"
    The increased number of visitors on a gala weekend will test your bacon-butty-and-tea supply chain. Additional books and toys and crap are bought in, extra scones and jam laid on, extra beer, extra staff. All those supply lines are tested in the hope that it will bring in extra revenue. If the supply and demand are balanced, great.
    Point is, those "2000 extra" passengers might be actually be 100 less each weekend through the whole season. All that happens is you have concentrated them into one weekend, and that weekend becomes busy, expensive, demanding and difficult.
    I was at the 2016 S&D gala. The trains we travelled on were only half filled if that. On the last train back to BL, there was us and about 10 other passengers. Good job they had a West Country and 8 mk1s on duty.

MellishR likes this.
  17. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

There is some truth in what you say, but those 2000 might never go to the railway at all.

Galas IMHO are important for maintaining links with two important groups; enthusiasts; volunteers.

The economics of the mega gala are shaky because of the risk, and I doubt we will see many for a year or two now. Railways need to be creative and entertaining with what they put on too. The gala isnt dead, but it may sleepeth.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

18. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

I very much doubt the Present management of the WSR will be putting on an S& D themed gala again, it would be the height of hierocracy if they were to even consider it, as regards the actual reasoning behind the decision legally I would say win, or lose, the railway has created a situation that puts it in serious jepody at a time when it needs every friend it can get,
    As to why, either its a case of someone acting in haste, not thinking it out, an angry knee jerk reaction to being told sorry we can't help, but not waiting to be told why, or its really is someone who does indeed have an non GWR bias, and does indeed see the S&D as a Cuckoo in a GWR nest , but what ever reason, this course of action has done immense damage to the future of the railway and i can't fathom the reasoning why anyone, in authority would set out on such an action,

19. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    You forgot an important 3rd group - the local community. For any Gala event, especially one over a number of days, the no-railway spend is equally important. Apart from the obvious spends on accommodation and fuel there is further discretionary spend off the railway which is equally valued. Given the nature of its location and custom I would presume Gala visitors will stay a couple of days hence need accommodation; if a couple or family attend they will probably spend on food / drink off railway at pubs or restaurants; if partners / spouses attend they might want to spend time / money at other events whilst in the area. This type of spend was the reason that the ELR was encouraged to develop in the Irwell Valley leading to Ramsbottom changing from Ghost Town to Growth Town and why the local economy in the Severn Valley withered when the SVR was closed due to flooding hence its concerted community effort to restore services as quickly as possible.

I fear that while JJ-P may feel that his activities provide benefit to the local community by keeping the railway open, his actions in threatening part of the railway community may damage his relationship with the non-railway community that the WSR depends on. Methinks he is failing to appreciate that community benefit is a 2-way arrangement that works by "give and take"; his current policy of "take" will benefit no one - especially the WSR and its supporters.

tracker, Fish Plate, ross and 8 others like this.
  20. Geoff May

Geoff May New Member

Seems that your idea has been adopted. Thread now unlocked again!

RailWest likes this.