If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Severn Valley Railway Autumn Steam Gala 14th-17th September 2023

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Kje7812, Jun 15, 2023.

1. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    IMO - It was better when you could just arrive by NR train or car, walk on the platform, get on a train and go, knowing what the WTT plan was.

It's not a massive issue collecting a wristband etc but a shame the WTT couldn't be pdf'd out a few days before hand, save on printing costs too. Either that or just including the coach stock with the loco allocations on the website.

Evening Star and gricerdon like this.
  2. 3ABescot

3ABescot Member

Thanks, that would save trouble on the day, and I wouldn't mind paying extra for the P&P.
    Unless we still have to pick up a wristband and the WTT, which would defeat the object of it.

3. D1039

D1039 Guest

I think I’ve seen somewhere that they post the wristbands for those starting from intermediate stations. Best to contact them and ask

4. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Those the instructions I've seen for recent galas. Not seen this year's BO/TTI instructions yet, though I doubt there will be much changed from the SSG.

5. garth manor

garth manor Well-Known Member

Signal is not required, scanning works extremely well in the world outside the heritage railway backwater.

6. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Tickets to your phone wallet is a great way forward, I did that on VT’s SE a few weeks ago, a couple of clicks direct from the confirmation and a couple to open and show it upon boarding. No pain for anyone!!!

JBTEvans and 35B like this.
  7. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

And has been used at GCR - worked a treat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. 2857Harry

2857Harry Member

Conductor/Guard
    Would be a little bit pointless selling the WTT if people could access the loco/coach info online for free!

The idea of selling it is to generate secondary spend. When I say every penny is vital currently it mean every one.

9. Pete Thornhill

It doesn’t have to be free, I’ve mentioned for years that it’s easy to generate a password protected pdf which can be downloaded rather than the physical version that’s currently produced. It’s quite straight forward to have a unique password for each purchaser along with an identifier should anyone attempt to leak it. You could charge exactly the same and generate the same secondary income but at a lower cost than traditional print versions.

10. D1039

D1039 Guest

It’s another thing that I haven’t got a strong feeling on either way, but I can see reasons why it is as it is.

It depends what you want from it. The brochure’s value comes from having both the WTT and the other information, such as the locomotives’ histories, which is attractive to a wider public than those that primarily want the WTT. It attracts sponsorship and advertising, makes a profit and goes towards making the event profitable.

If you start to unbundle it by distributing the WTT on its own by other means, I would speculate that you’d undermine the model and the brochure might not be viable. Even were the stand alone WTT to generate a similar profit, you’d lose something of value to that wider group.

35B likes this.
  11. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

That raises other issues - I'd be pretty hacked off if that protection stopped me printing it, for example - yet shared printed copies would be a primary reason for applying that protection.

12. Wyreman

Wyreman New Member

On this subject, I notice that loco allocations have been included in the free timetables on the SVR website this year. That used not to be the case for ASGs - you had to buy the full WTT to get them. I don't know whether any announcement has been made about the reason for this change, but it's interesting.

13. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

I'm fairly sure it's been the case since covid.

Wyreman likes this.
  14. Wyreman

Wyreman New Member

Ah OK, then I stand corrected! I'd forgotten it was like that last year. Anyway, I like it that way. I know there was an interminable discussion/debate/argument every ASG before then about whether the SVR's approach was good or bad, but this seems to take the heat out of it. The more casual enthusiast will be most interested in which engine is hauling which service and will expect that info as most other lines provide it. The more hardcore visitors will want the detailed stuff and will be willing to shell out for the WTT to get it. You can't please everyone, but I think it's a fair compromise.

15. Pete Thornhill

That’s unlikely if done correctly ;)

As for copying & sharing, it actually makes it harder for that to happen. Over the years I’ve removed various posts offering to copy the printed version and told those doing it that it’s not happening here, but the reality is it doesn’t take much to copy the WTT and (perhaps ironically) create a pdf version for your mates, at least with identifiers you would know the source, along with the benefit of reduced production costs.

16. D1039

D1039 Guest

By doing as you suggest, the Railway has to monitor social media and police it, with very little sanction available. You can remove the identifier. It can be shared in private groups. If caught, next time you just get a mate to do it.

By not offering it, they don’t have the problem (or at least have less of one).

17. Pete Thornhill

That’s not true though, as I said before, you can just copy the current version….

18. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    In answer to my question the SVR have told me today that e-tickets will be emailed to me. So why are posters on here saying they aren’t?

19. mattspencer

mattspencer Well-Known Member

Does that not have to be exchanged for a wrist band?

20. 3ABescot

3ABescot Member

In my case, because when I asked I was told I'd have to show the email confirmation at a booking office.
    I should add that I wasn't ringing specifically to ask that question but to book the tickets because the website didn't work. After the tickets and the WTT were bought I said something like " you'll send them to me?" and got the above answer.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2023