If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Severn Valley Railway to launch £4,000,000 share issue.

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by geekfindergeneral, Oct 16, 2011.

1. geekfindergeneral

geekfindergeneral Member

Railwayman
    SVR Holdings plc is to launch a share issue in 2012 to raise £4 million. The Business Plan announcing it can be downloaded here http://www.svr-association.org.uk/NB - business plan_strategic review 2011-2013.pdf . The proposed issue can be found on Page 2, along with some very worthy promises to run the business properly in the future, which will doubtless give comfort to the existing shareholders who will have to give consent for their existing investment to be diluted by 50%.

Nice timing, with the economy in the toilet, passenger numbers in the doldrums, and two consecutive years of operating losses under their belts.

Good luck with that.

2. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A bit disappointing to see the creeping use of 'management speak', for example:

"Re-engaging shareholders"
    "strands" and business plans will be "delivered"
    "Management given targets for volunteer engagement"
    "Take the railway forward into the future"
    I quote.
    It was to escape this sort of jargon that I took early retirement. Our senior management made life for staff increasingly unpleasant and when they realised that something was amiss with morale, they started setting targets for middle management for 'employee engagement'. How on earth do you measure happiness? Well, they thought they could :).
    I'm not saying the SVR have a problem with morale (I hardly know them) but this language....

3. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Is it me or do others think that it is poorly written and badly put together? In the first few pages there are such gems as:
    'We need to Strengthen Our financial base to allow the SVR to invest further in buildings, track, improvements to facilities like the buffets at Bewdley and Bridgnorth.'
    and
    'You will also notice that there are in the strands that there are common denominators:
    Communication - amongst the dispirate workforce will be improved.'

If it is intended to impress influencial people, it is likely to do the opposite. At least it only appears to be a draft and not the final version. Even so, I would have expected the grammar to be sorted out well before this stage.

4. oddsocks

oddsocks Well-Known Member

Retired / Dodging a Coffin for as long as I can.
    Half a mile east of Snells Nook Halt. (1883-1931)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Totally agree, Steve. It needs re-writing.

5. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

since it gives an e-mail inviting feedback I'd suggest those who have a view (constructive ) respond

6. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Erm, it's "influential" not "influencial" by the way. So if we're going to criticise the grammar of others.................. :)

7. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Fair cop, Guv! And I read it several times before posting, too!

8. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Good news, glad to hear it, it offers enthusiasts an oppertunity to be a part owner of the railway, and there are benefits to wning shares which increase the more you own. The world would be great if we didn't have to do such things, but I shall be adding to the couple of hundred I already have.

9. steamdream

steamdream Member

Teacher
    it needs re-signalling too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dance:
    regards
    noel

10. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

The original poster does not offer his or her alternative solution for taking the SVR foreward as one of our leading Heritage railways, and a major tourist venue in the West Midlands, which devalues the criticism of this proposed share issue. Please let us hear your solution to the increasingly expensive business of running an aged railway with aged steam motive power. ( half a million is a realistic figure for a ten year heavy general overhaul)
    Running the actual trains is at best a maginal exercise cost-wise, as other posters on the forum connected with other Heritage lines will no doubt confirm, and salvation (or continuing in business....) very much depends on other activities, ie Santa operations, driving experience courses, dining facilities etc, so in my opinion it is both desirable to have good business managers with experience from the commercial world, and to have an adequate capital base from which to fund repairs maintenance and improvements along the way. The OP should appreciate that share investors in Heritage lines tend to invest their money for altruistic reasons, ie the continued wellbeing of their favourite line, and NOT for a financial gain on the investment.
    The OP points out that next year might not be a good time for a share issue, but we dont live in that sort of World any more. What do they do otherwise? Continue to defer steam overhauls and increasingly go diesel? Defer line maintenance and contract to a shorter route? We are indeed fortunate that the SVR survived the disaster of the floods of 2007, we could easily be looking at a line only running between Kidderminster and Bewdley now.
    Indeed I suspect that getting the business properly capitalised and with a foreward plan is taking shape now because the line has only relatively recently finally shaken off the debts and borrowing incurred rebuilding the SVR from the damage of the 2007 storm.

I for one hope the share issue is succesful, and the SVR can continue on as one of our leading steam Heritage railway operations.

11. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

SVR Fundraising initiatives have always been successful to date, so this one might be expected to be as well, but in the past they've had a defined project as their aim. It will be interesting to see how well supported a broad capital raising offer will be. Less so, I suspect - partly for the reasons given, and partly because of the sum sought.

12. steamdream

steamdream Member

Teacher
    I any case it will be better thna the last Bluebell share issue which had been a true "flop"!:deadhorse:
    regards
    Noel

13. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Why? as others have said this is not a business in which the existing shareholders have invested to see returnd on their money. Exisiting shareholder rights will be set out in the company documents, these will not normally prohibit the issuing of new shares although it may give the exisiting shars holders the right to invest in the new shares

So best to wait until it fails then?

14. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

This seems to be a good way to generate capital for the SVR. Maybe a few other railways will need to go down this road soon to avoid running out of funds. The world doesn’t own a preserved railway a living. Could we see one or two of the small preserved lines fail with in the next few years or even one of the larger preserved lines could fail?

15. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    A bit of working capital can go an awfully long way, especially now that, from a Business perspective, the SVR seems to be at a watershed point. I wish the railway every success in raising the funds, and may consider putting some of my money into it if I am in a position so to do when the time comes.

16. Jark91

Jark91 Member

This does seem like a pretty awful time to be launching a share issue. Everybody is watching spending. The recent Churnet Valley share issue was aiming for £450,000 by September and stopped pretty much dead in its tracks at £300,000. Still an impressive figure for what is a much smaller operation than the SVR but even so, £4m seems like a very ambitious number. The NYMR are still crawling towards £1m with their Bridge & Wheels appeal. I think the SVR may have to adjust their expectations... maybe aim for £2m and then some match funding or something along those lines.

17. lostlogin

lostlogin Member

Four milion seems and is an awful lot of money, but it is frightening to think that this appears not to be for a specific project but rather as working capital to maintain and fund the railway. If one of the most succesful railways in the UK needs this sort of funding it does raise concerns for the future of our hobby and for other lines.

18. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

May I ask where you get that idea from? Trains during the summer were quite well used and the passenger figures I think are up on the budget ones, even if the Budget was very conservative.

19. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It would appear the geekfinder has joined NP, immediately made the one provacative post, then not bothered to come back and support his statements?? :eek:hwell:

20. steamdream

steamdream Member

Teacher
    I have worries about some..............
    regards
    noel