If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Sirapite

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by dace83, Dec 17, 2009.

1. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

A little known Suffolk shunting engine based at Leiston works when it was a massive manufacturing centre. Now it is nearing the end of its restoration at the museum, not much running track though :-(

Anyway the Longshop museum is holding a FREE open day with the loco hopefully in steam along the short track on the 27th March 2010.
    Well worth a visit for the museum aswell as the loco.

http://www.mdrs.org.uk/historic/bbe_sirapite1949.jpg
    http://www.longshop.care4free.net/Sirapite.html

2. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    I visited the Long Shop Museum in April this year, lovely place. One of those hidden gems that deserves a lot more recognition.

Regards,

Dan

3. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Don't forget it is next Week! I am planning to attend if the forcast is good.

Its FREE

4. the aveliing locos are superb machines i remember blue circle shuttleing up and about at embsay one thomas weekend as fergus , do the long shop have any plans to take it for a run out anywhere properly?

5. 69621

69621 New Member

They'd have to hire in a bloody big crane again to get it out! That's the way they got it in! Blocked the centre of Leiston for a couple of hours! Shame they can't get it running on the little line between Saxmundham, Leiston and Sizewell - its used very infrequently, but is maintained to as good as mainline standards as its used to carry the fuel and waste to and from sizewell!

6. I dont think the tpws or otmr would fit on it!

7. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I couldn't see it run, and I think I'll wait as the line is tiny!

Edit:

There is talk of relaying the line across the road to Leiston station, the trackbed is complete. Only the beer garden (which is for sale) is needed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Wouldnt that require a transport and works order to go across the road! this is a very costly process

9. Vilma

Vilma New Member

Went there on Saturday and I agree this is a hidden gem.

Sirapite looked and sounded superb and is a credit to all involved. Also interesting were the removed parts! Shame about the short run though...

What a place Garrett's must have been; the sheer variety of things they made, right up to 1980. I certainly didn't know it was owned by Beyer-Peacock and built components for the Gorton production of Garratt locos. Good to see the original B-P Board Room table too, complete with monogrammed chairs! The first proper production line, strange agricultural equipment, components, all miles from any industry, even today. (Well, except Sizewell)

Well worth a visit, recommended!