If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

smokebox numberplate info required

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by Peterbridge67, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Peterbridge67

Peterbridge67 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    hello, I class myself as a novice in collecting raiwayana, it was a massive hobby of my fathers and I am trying to educate myself in most areas of this exciting world.

I have researched quite a bit on the interent but I cant seem to find out the resons for different castings in the smokebox numberplates. also I understand that some were "curved" to fit the shape of the smokebox door but how were they classified?

Ive been to lots of steam railway museums but haven't had the chance to hold one as yet. I have one from my fathers collection and its approx. 2" thick and curves down to 1", does this sound correct for this heavy plate?

ive sold a few bits and pieces in some railway auctions but decided now to keep a hold of everything to help my research.

Any info/pictures of different castings would be a great help to me indeed.

Many thanks

2. ssk2400

ssk2400 New Member

electrical engineer
    Hi i had 3 smoke box plates from ex lms Br era locos, they were all cut out to fit around the smokebox , i sold mine when i was about 10 for the princely sum of £4 each , i would love to know what happened to them one was from a 2p 440 they other was no 40016 from a fowler 262 tank
    All had been scrapped by T Ward at Barrow in Furness

3. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Go to a railwayana auction, as you can examine the plates. BR Standard and WR plates are flat, most of the others are more chunky.

4. Mandator

Mandator Part of the furniture

I am not an expert in this field however I do own quite a few S/B plates and have observed that the curvature appears to vary from Loco class to Loco class.
    I assume that this is to ensure a flush fit as any discrepancy in fit would eventually cause the plate to work loose with the danger of the plate dropping off. (Rumours abound of plates having done this and ending up in collectors hands! mmmmm liberated is more probably the case).
    As already intimated to get an accurate assessment one would need to know the curvature of the smokebox of each Loco class.
    The ER plates are often cast with classes the plate can fit listed on the back. Remember the plate is produced as a wooden pattern to which numerals are applied which produces an cavity in sand. The pattern is removed to produce a cavity into which molten cast iron is poured. The numerals are then changed and the process repeated.
    Some SR plates have an "S inside a triangle" cast on the reverse to identify their plates although I don't know if this was applied at all works or just one.
    Again numeral style can differ as some works preferred one typeface to another, St. Rollox being a case in point.
    Like any field in railwayana a person can uncover huge amounts of information regarding the field and still dig up surprises even when they think they could not.

As already stated visit some of the Auctions get a good feel for the subject.