If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

South Devon Railway cambrian gala 22nd - 25th April featuring 9017 Earl of Berkeley

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by tobes3803, Mar 31, 2011.

1. tobes3803

tobes3803 Member

The dukedog arrived yesterday evening ready for a week of photo charters and the cambrian gala so whos going to come down to see it?

http://www.sdronline.org.uk/Cambrian-Easter-Gala.php

2. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Re: South Devon Railway cambrian gala 22nd - 25th April featuring 9017 Earl of Berkel

I will be there for the gala and planning a family day out on railway during the week after. Will probably be no.2 daughters first train ride!

I am looking forward to the another excellent SDR gala, usually one of the best in preservation with plenty of interesting activity and authenthic train formations. Hopefully the plates can be left off 9017 for the gala?

3. Mighty Mogul

Mighty Mogul Well-Known Member

Artist
    Re: South Devon Railway cambrian gala 22nd - 25th April featuring 9017 Earl of Berkel

The SDR website is rather 'light' on information for this event at the moment. The event appeals but I will wait for a bit more info before making a decision about attending. Not been to an SDR gala for about 10 years so well overdue a visit!

4. Hunslets Finest

Craig,

Just go. South Devon gala's are always excellent but never seem to get the deserved publicity. The railway makes great efforts to get it right. By past experience you can expect the right engines on the right stock, early morning short passenger trains, proper BR and GWR goods trains (with one brake!) and milk trains. With an excellent vintage vehicle rally and a friendly welcome this is a really great event.

I am not generally a fan of Great Western (as we all know the best thing that left Swindon Works was Stanier) but try to make this gala each year.

Hopefully this year everything stays on the track!

Cheers,

David

5. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody

I am working up the final details as I type.....

Basic details are as follows: Cambrian theme using 9017, 3205, 5526 (steam) and D7612 (diesel) to represent the types related to the Cambrian. All loco's are in British railways livery and the majority of train services will also feature appropriate coaching stock in Crimson and Cream livery.

In addition to the normal passenger services, the two-car auto train (worked by 5526) will be in use, and there will be a mixture of Parcels, goods and Milk trains also in operation. Goods trains will only feature a brake van on the rear.

Each day there will also be a local passenger train formed of 1,2 or 3 ex GWR coaches in carmine and cream livery. Not all the coaches are suitable for public accomodation, however there will be limited public space available on these services on each day.

On each day one service will be double-headed by 5526 + 9017 hauling carmine and cream stock.

Whilst outside the Cambrian theme, 1369 will also be use each day working with a shunters truck and acting as Buckfastleigh station and yard pilot.

Some services will have an on train bar cra serving a variety of locally brewed and specially branded ales.

All the other SDR usuals of course such as the museum, refreshment rooms, mini railway etc etc.

Further details (inc working timetables) in due course from the various web sites...

6. Funnell

Funnell New Member

Pullman Steward
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

I very much doubt the plates will be taken off!! Seem to remember they were welded back on after it's repaint and temporary run without plates!!!

7. Hunslets Finest

It has run without plates at both the Llangollen and Bluebell (Feb 10) since being black. I am sure it will the same case during the charters at the South Devon and hopefully for the Cambrian gala.

Ganger - sounds like an excellent event and I have forwarded your info to a few interested parties.Thanks.

In the future there may be a proper Cambrian gala with two 25s.....those were the days!

8. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician

Why would they weld them back on when they still have the brackets? When she arrived at LR without nameplates, the brackets were missing too but the holes for them were still there. (I remember when she first arrived wondering what they were as I cleaned them!)

9. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader

I believe the brackets are welded on and can't be taken off but the nameplates are bolted onto the brackets and these can be removed.

10. Mighty Mogul

Mighty Mogul Well-Known Member

Artist

Thanks Ganger and Hunslets Finest for the info - much appreciated. Have pencilled the dates in and will keep an eye out for updates and the working t/ts when they become available.

11. tobes3803

tobes3803 Member

12. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody

9017 out on test today. Engine and brake to Totnes then back to Bishops Bridge. Shunted various wagons ready for next weeks photo charter then took these back to Buckfastleigh. Then worked double-headed with 1369 on the 14.15 Buckfastleigh to Totnes, returning from Totnes on the 15.00 with 1369 on rear. Very nice day was had by all...

13. Collett Goods

Collett Goods New Member

The plates are to be removed and replaced later.

14. Hunslets Finest

Fantastic news on the plate front. Good to see the South Devon showing the way in 'getting it right'!

Will 9017 be working service trains after the gala?

Looking forward to our week back in Glorious Devon.

Thanks,

15. tobes3803

tobes3803 Member

Picture of dukedog working freight up to Buckfastleigh ready for photo charters!

edited timeless.jpg

16. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader

You tell that to the Bluebell!:smile: I get my fair amount of stick from Bluebell members over my total dislike of the nameplates on here and the Bluebell e-mail group, although I do keep crowing on about it so I guess I open myself up to alot of it anyway. Unfortunately my Dad and I won't be able see 9017 on the South Devon so looking forward to seeing the photos published and hope the South Devon guys enjoy it as it's a superb loco.

17. JohnDevon

JohnDevon New Member

18. Hunslets Finest

Thanks for posting so early. It will be great to see the 0830 departure each morning with 9017 and the evening freight.

19. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired

This looks like a grand Easter; it's all there!

20. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant

Going off at a tangent slightly, what's happened to the editorials on the unofficial website? The last one was very interesting.