If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

South Devon Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Scorpian04111986, May 30, 2008.

1. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I install Commercial and Domestic Oil Tanks all ov
    Hello as loads of people seem very interested in the PDSR at the moment I thought I'd turn attentions to the SDR.

What is happening with 1420 and 3205, are we waiting for the boilers to be returned as nothing seems to have happened for a while.

Also what happened to the turntable, as I was looking forward to seeing 3803 heading smokebox first into Totnes

2. Strode

Strode New Member

3205 and 1420 will appear sometime next year I believe, 3205 first probably. Both need boiler work. Turntable awaits financing - no doubt donations would be welcome!

3. captainj0hn

captainj0hn New Member

actyally, 3205's definatly in service early next year, but the date for 1420 s uncertain, the rolling chasis is complete, next up is boiler work which is being done in house.

1420s completion date is still uncertain, no works has begun on her yet apart from stripping of the chasis

4. captainj0hn

captainj0hn New Member

actyally, 3205's definatly in service early next year, but the date for 1420 s uncertain, the rolling chasis is complete, next up is boiler work which is being done in house.

1420s completion date is still uncertain, no works has begun on her yet apart from stripping down

5. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

Thats good as you do seem to be a loco shorter than usual, as you keep bringing diesels out for the gala wekends or even two which is odd usually most of them are all steam?

I may be wrong or maybe it's just done for variety, it'll be nice to see 3205 again as I havn't got any decent pictures of her yet, I do however have a few of 1420 still be nice to see them both in action again.

I've also heard rumours that Dumbleton Halls going into the works when these are completed is this the case?? If so will be nice to see her too as the last time I saw her in steam was during a trip to the WSR. Although have the weight restrictions been upgraded enough for her yet, I know the bridge helped with this but what about further down the line??

Also what happened to the turntable are you still unable to find the foundations for it.

Anyway thanks for the info

6. captainj0hn

captainj0hn New Member

Dumbleton hall? not for a while. Most certainly not before 1420 and also definatle not before 1420. I also think 5786 is only got 3 years left on its ticket and thats more of a priority to have than the hall.

I think your forgetting 2873 as well, not in the pan at the moment, but could well be sometime in the future as well, we like a challenge at the SDR.

As for the turntablr, well, I think some work is supposed to be stared on that his winter, though I think the turntable itself won't be in place.

7. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    Isn't Dumbleton a bit big for SDR? Will they look at hiring it out to other lines?

8. GWR

GWR Member

Inventory Planner
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    If my memory severs correct didn't Dumbleton Hall run on the SDR from Staverton to Totnes just before it's ticket ran out & I believe that was before the bridge was rebuilt & the weight limit was raised.

9. Stu in Torbay

GPS Navigation Engineer
    What I meant by 'too big for the line' was that it not the sort of motive power that would have been used on the Aushburton branch in steam days, rather than because of it's weight or clearance restrictions......

It would be better on the P&DSR - The SDR could swap it for the slightly smaller Lydham Manor 8-[

10. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Hope someone will correct me if this is wrong, but i believe there's a bridge over a small stream between that needs attention before the axleloading can be upped, certainly had a 5mph speed restriction when i went over it 3 weeks ago.

11. captainj0hn

captainj0hn New Member

Yes, Dubleton hall did run on the line, but only in places where the track was certified to take it. (staverton to totnes and Buckfastleigh to Nursery pool bridge)

I dunno weather a swap for Lydham manor would ever happen or anything like that, but I like the 38 and the manor, wouldn't be fussed really. I don't care as long as we have atleast one big engine oh, and it has to be GWR. \:D/ Tho I think 3803 would be a fair swapp for ur 4588 or woteva it is, the 64xx and the 4588's spare boiler. But it aint up to me

Yes there is a small bridge, just before nappers crossing that needs dealing with.

would SDR look at hiring out the hall? dunno, its pretty sentimental to us. But again it aint up to me really is it.

12. Stu in Torbay

GPS Navigation Engineer
    Well, I know there were falling outs back in the 90's, but the recent loan of the P&DSR's class 25 (although it didnt actually come off) to the SDRs gala looked like the relationship might be better now. I doubt there would be any advanage for either line in doing a hall - manor swap, other than for variety's sake. It would be good for Dumbleton to stretch her legs on Goodrington bank again. I have a video of her dragging a deltic + train up from Goodrington in 1993 - volcanic!!!

13. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Student
    Any chance of it being posted stu or is it on VHS?

Alex

14. Stu in Torbay

GPS Navigation Engineer
    VHS, but I might be able to get it on DVD then youtube..... watch this space......

15. captainj0hn

captainj0hn New Member

That would be amazing to see that vid, shes my fav really!!I hope they have patched things up, but the hall will never leave the ownership of the south devon railway, because really, it is the south devon railway, as it was the dumbleton hall preservation society that booigh the line from the dart valley railway as it was then

I seen vids of dumbleton hall on goodrington bank and she makes flying scotsman look like a pile of rubbish. She really was a great, and I hope to be working on her soon!!!

16. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I did find this picture with a Google search and quite liked it

17. Dumbleton

Dumbleton New Member

I've been reading the correspondence about South Devon's locos. Perhaps I can add a bit of clarity to comments as I think I know a thing or two about what's happening as I work there. First, 3205. The intention is to return it to traffic for 2009. The chassis is all but done - axleboxes done, new tyres, motion dealt with etc. Just a bit of paint more or less. The engine will be BR green. The tender is repaired, just a paint job. The boiler has been stripped. The plan is to do the work in house but awaits manpower resources being available in order to start. But expected soon. 1420, as noted is stripped. It won't be needed in traffic for a while. The SDR likes to have at least four working engines for the train services. 3205 will make that five as long as 5786 keeps running. If it goes the full ten years that keeps it running until the end of the 2010 season. It will be done in house as far as possible. As for 4920 the SDR management want to see it back in traffic but it doesn't make much sense to have it as well as 3803 both at work at once. Perhaps a years overlap would be nice just for fun. All the track and structures have been signed off by the engineers for 23 ton axleweight. But you have to get this signed off by the Railway Inspectorate which hoop is now being addressed.
    The question of the smaller engines is being considered by the Board. The two standard gauge Pecketts are both now out of action. The question is which to rebuild or maybe the Worcester Loco Society's Kitson 'Carnarvon'. Or, with ever busier trains, should 1369 now be considered as the small engine? Food for thought.

18. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I thought there wasn't much wrong with Lady Angela, as I was at the Thomas Weekend last year where she failed or at least I think thats where she failed.

Also it would be entertaining to see 4920 and 3803 double header wouldn't it.

To be fair 1369 has been a reliable engine for a long time, but she does seem to be getting lighter duties a lot of the time i.e. brake van rides, goods trains etc.

Also I know this has been addressed elsewhere a while ago but what are the plans with Sapper and Errol, as surely as they are both on display and in the public eye (especially Sapper) at least a cosmetic overhaul or repaint weould make them look good. It is a bit dodgy having Sapper looking like a wreck and it being he first thing passengers see on arriving at Totnes from either direction. Also the passengers have commented whilst I've been there.
    Was there a specific reason why Sapper was moved here as surely in that condition it would be better to have her behind the sheds out of the way

19. lickeybanker

lickeybanker Well-Known Member

Retired
    Send me your vid and I will copy it to DVD and return both to you.

20. Stu in Torbay

GPS Navigation Engineer
    I think I can do it, but if not then I will take you up on your kind offer - cheers

I have found the video and it also contains a visit to Laira depot, which I had forgotten about.
    There is a slight correction on 'Dumbleton Hall dragging a Deltic', it was the other way around. Gordon Highlander was in front, and producing more smoke than the Hall - until her regulator is opened up!
    It must have been a primarily diesel gala. Also shows the demo freight train derailed at Kingswear!

Happy days...