If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

South Tynedale Railway extensions.

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by PortRoadFan, Mar 12, 2014.

1. PortRoadFan

PortRoadFan New Member

At last it seems the STR will reach Slaggyford given recent reports about their Heritage Lottery Fund success. That would give them a 5-mile run, with a new 2nd platform and overall roof at Alston.

Have they published any detailed plans about extending to Haltwhistle, apart form the news of their land acquisition there and the take-over of Lambley and Alston Arches viaducts from the now defunct North Pennines Heritage Trust? Given that that would create a 19-mile line, and a 38-mile round trip, I would think that they would need bigger steam locos, and more carriages to run such a service? And who owns the trackbed between Slaggyford and Haltwhistle?

I hope they succeed, in my view the Alston branch was one of the worst losses to standard gauge preservation and it's complete re-birth as a narrow gauge line would bring it back in some form!

Chris

Martin Perry likes this.
  2. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Good news - trains returning over the whole of this line from Haltwhistle would be a major achievement.

John