If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Spa Valley Railway Steam Gala - 16th & 17th May

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by matt41312, May 4, 2009.

1. matt41312

matt41312 Member

SPA VALLEY RAILWAY STEAM GALA - 16TH & 17TH MAY

The Spa Valley Railway will be holding its annual Steam Gala over the weekend of 16th and 17th May, which will be kicking off a Summer of steam based events at the railway.

Star of the show will be the Southern Region USA Yankee Tank No. 65 from the Kent and East Sussex Railway. The engine will only be on the railway for the one weekend, arriving just before and departing soon after.

The locomotive will line up alongside the current resident fleet which includes

[*]GWR Pannier Tank 7715 (On an 18 month loan)
    [*]LMS Jinty 47493
    [*]Peckett 1636 'Fonmon'

The latter will be making one of its final gala appearances prior to being withdrawn in late summer for a 10 year overhaul. For those of you into your industrials, this gutsy little engine will be doing at least one passenger trip on its own on the Saturday with 4x MK1 coaches behind. On the Sunday it will also get a trip on its own but will have the Jinty in the formation too for part of the trip. Although I'm sure the Jinty crew can be persuaded on the amount of assistance given...

Other highlights of the weekend will include:
    [*]Frequent service with the first passenger train at 10AM each day.
    [*]Goods trains running during the day, each day, with all engines taking turns on these duties.
    [*]Passenger rides on the brake van of all goods trains - small supplement will apply
    [*]Mixed trains during the morning of each day
    [*]Real Ale Bar on all passenger trains, serving at least 3 different ales
    [*]Fish and Chip Special on the Saturday night - Advanced booking required. Contact the railway direct.
    [*]Late trains on the Saturday night until 9PM
    [*]Shed and yard open to view the current progress with our other projects - TKh 'Spartan', RSH 'Ugly', which should both be returning to action later this year, Terrier 'Sutton' which is now going back together, and J94 68077 which is now fully stripped down.
    [*]The first train leaves Tunbridge Wells West at 08:40 each day, which will be a brake van to Groombridge to collect the first goods train. The first passenger train departs Tunbridge Wells at 10AM.

There will be two goods trains each day. The morning goods will be a made up of goods wagons, whilst those later in the day will be more engineers wagons. The final goods of the day will be the two trains joined together. As things stand, this could be the only chance to see the Pannier tank on a goods train during its time on the railway.

Also as an added attraction on Saturday 16th, there will be a Morris Day running alongside the Gala. At High Rocks there will be a large display of Morris Cars and 3 Groups of Morris Dancers will be doing displays at various locations along the line.

Looking at the event diary, there are no other galas on on this weekend so why not come and see what one of the smaller railways can put on. I think you will be quietly impressed.

Matt

2. matt41312

matt41312 Member

The timetable is now available for the Steam Gala. This can be found on our website under the What's On page.

With 12 departures on the Saturday and 10 on the Sunday, that surely can't be bad for a 3.5 mile long line!

The Fish and Chip Special on the Saturday is now sold out but there will be plenty of space for anyone who wants to come along for a few beers! \:D/

Details on the loco duties will be available next week.

Matt

3. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Well-Known Member

Student with 2 part time jobs, Windsurfing coach a
    ooppss, computer went a bit special there.

Good luck with the event Matt!

4. twouglies

twouglies New Member

Matt

Had a look at the roster on Spa Valleys website but it does not say what loco is on each diagram. Do you know what is scheduled to be on the Saturday evening trains as I may be able to call in on the way home from work

5. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

looks good - I shall try and pay a visit.

6. Ann Clark

Ann Clark Member

Matt

I hope you have a good gala. I know Nigel and I enjoyed the gala when we were with 6695 as one of the visiting locos.

7. matt41312

matt41312 Member

Thanks Ann. We all enjoyed having 6695 up at TWW. Hopefully we might be able to arrange another visit at some point in the future. I don't think we have yet found anything that shouted quite like 6695 did when leaving High Rocks - although the Jinty and 7715 are competing for that title!!

As for the rostered engines, the Yankee will see as much use as possible over the weekend so an appearance on the Saturday night trains is a big possibility. A timetable with the loco roster will be available from our ticket offices over the weekend.

Matt

8. svr1317

svr1317 New Member

Matt,

Any idea yet when the USA will arrive, and what way it will face?

thanks

9. 37255

37255 Guest

Fair enough if a full roster isn't being published, but can anyone say which train the peckett will haul? Quite a long journey to get there, so don't want to miss it!

10. Calan

Calan Member

Student & Volunteer.

The USA tank leaves KESR on Thurday, so I suspect it will arrive at the Spa on the same day.

11. matt41312

matt41312 Member

The haulier is due at Whittersham Rd on Thursday evening and will be loading either then or Friday morning. All being well the USA should touch down on SVR metals Friday lunchtime/afternoon.

As for the Peckett, I can tell you that it is Loco 4 on both days of the roster. It's definitely got one pass trip on its own on Saturday and will be double heading on Sunday, although I think the crews can be advised how much assistance to provide \:D/ It will either be on the goods trains or double heading with the other engines elsewhere. Fonmon completes 3 round trips of various formations on each day.

Matt

12. Calan

Calan Member

Student & Volunteer.

The USA tank leaves KESR on Thurday.

13. 68077

68077 New Member

Bus Driver (unfortunately)!
    im goods train guard on sunday where passengers can ride in the restored queen mary for a small supplement on their fare which goes towards the Brakevan to maintain and restore it, the next major job is to get the tyres turned so all donations are gratefully recieved!!! [-o<

im looking forward to a very enjoyable day as it is not that often railways run timetabled passenger carrying fitted goods/engineers trains so look forward to seeing you all!!

14. matt41312

matt41312 Member

Confirmation yesterday from the KESR that No. 65 will be loaded first thing Friday morning.

A good day yesterday at the Spa has resulted in the goods trains now being formed up and waiting at Groombridge. All that is required is one vac hose and the recently restored Flatrol from TWW to be added which will occur tomorrow afternoon. One goods train is predominantly engineers based whilst the other makes up a country goods feel.

The Pannier is now out for 4 consecutive days with driver experience today and tomorrow, a wedding special tomorrow afternoon and some final shunting afterwards. So if you are free tomorrow and fancy seeing some unusual formations, make your way down to the Spa. I'll be driving it!! \:D/

Further to Stuart's post about the Queen Mary, we need to raise £500 for the tyre turning plus transport so please do come along and support it. I can't think of many railways offering so many opportunities to ride on a brake van of this type. If it proves popular this weekend, the vehicle will certainly be out a few times this summer!

Also this weekend will see the launch of the first book solely dedicated to the Spa Valley Railway. Titled "Spa Valley Railway" and published by Halsgrove it has some stunning photos of the whole railway, taken by our railway press officer David Staines. I have already purchased my copy and I think it's a bargain at £15. Also the author will be signing copies on Saturday at the gala!!!

Matt

15. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
  16. LN850

LN850 Member

Just a few pictures I took at the event (was good enough for even THE DOCTOR to appear!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \:D/ ):