If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Spa Valley Railway

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by glenng, Apr 11, 2012.

1. glenng

glenng New Member

Can anyone tell me what’s running at the Spa Valley Railway gala this weekend? And where is the best place to take some photos? :thumb:

2. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

From the website : -

"9th April - STEAM GALA UPDATE - 14 and 15 April 2012

We're very sorry to say that Spartan is now unlikely to be available for the gala weekend, and as such the duties will now be shared between "Jinty" 47493 and Robert Stephenson and Hawthorns "Ugly". We are trying our hardest to fix Spartan's air pump in time, and if we're successful, she'll run, but we can't make any promises.

Please note that if you've downloaded the timetables released earlier this week, they are now being revised to take account of these developments. They'll be posted here again very soon. Normal fares apply this weekend, and tickets will be available on the day."

Best location to photograph - field with public footpath which is east of Groombridge. just to the east of where one footpath passes under the line, 10minutes walk from Groombridge Station see &searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf]Map of Groombridge, East Sussex [City/Town/Village]

Another location is the woods East of High Rocks Halt. A footpath ( southside of the line)leaves the road where it crosses the line.

3. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    There are three bridges over the line around Groombridge station, one either side of the platform and another further towards Eridge which one is Station Road, the other two footpaths off Corseley Road. There is also Forge Farm crossing off Forge Road, on the stretch running alongside the main line, which is a footcrossing. Can park just off the road if you are lucky, depends how busy it is. Trains have to stop there and be flagged across (well they did last time I went) so you get them accelerating away.

4. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

5. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Hi, can anyone tell me which locos are due to be at the 60's weekend at the Spa Valley this coming weekend please? I am looking to go to Forge and Pokehill Farm Crossings. As I understand it are these the postcodes TN3 9JN and TN3 9PL?
    Thanks in advance.

6. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

General Manager
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Class 73 73140 alongside LMS Jinty 47493 or RSH No62 'Ugly' on our standard green Eridge timetable.

7. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Thanks Jonnie. Are these postcodes correct? :)

8. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    I don't know the postcodes but just make sure you are on Forge Road, Eridge and you won't got to far wrong, when I was there a couple of months ago there was almost a lay-by created with how many cars have parked by the crossing so it was quite easy to park up. Never been to the other spot!