If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Spring/Summer/Autumn 2018 CMEs

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 1020 Shireman, May 9, 2018.

1. Cal.N

Cal.N New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U55124/2018/07/21/advanced

I wonder why the charter reverses (dragged by tail gunner) down the WCML to Preston from Farringdon Jn. If there any reason the steam cannot be taken off there as usual?

Edit: something to do with the Northern strike and not being able to move passengers back to Preston from Blackburn??

2. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    I think that it joins the WCML via Farington CURVE Jn i.e. Heading north towards Preston. At Preston the steam and helper depart towards 10A whilst another diesel that has come from Carnforth attaches to the south end to take the train back to Manchester & Crewe.

Cal.N likes this.
  3. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Maybe the loco and the front diesel need to come off together because of the fire restrictions. The train will not reverse into Preston, it will go forward into Preston and the tailgunner will take it forward to Manchester and Crewe. That manoeuvre couldn't happen at Farington.

4. Cal.N

Cal.N New Member

Ahh. That makes much more sense. Any reason this doesn’t happen for normal CMEs with electric traction southbound to Euston?

5. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Yes. If you're just replacing one loco on the front with another one Farington is pretty convenient.

Cal.N likes this.
  6. Cal.N

Cal.N New Member

Yes. I’ve confused Farrigdon Curve Jn at Bee Lane with the south bound Jn achieved by turning left at Lostock Hall. Thanks for clarifying

7. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    ACB8568C-CB89-4333-8D4C-77D15E26901F.jpeg 48151 at Oxenholme.

8. Shep Woolley

Shep Woolley Well-Known Member Friend

Retired
    Squeaky bum time there Steve well done

9. sgthompson

Tobacco manufacturing
    The video was even closer lol

10. noelist

noelist Member

LGV C+E(FormerlyHGVClass1) Driver
    surprised to see 48151, was told should have been Galatea but it failed with an electrical fault. but fire risk still applicable....went to Carnforth for the spectacle of three steam locos in an hour:-

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  11. sgthompson

Tobacco manufacturing
    48151 at Oxenholme and Kirkby Stephen .

12. wcmlbls1846

wcmlbls1846 Well-Known Member

Would take too long.

The schedule for today's CME from Crewe via Manchester Victoria is very different from the normal CME schedule from Euston.

Today's CME is due at Crewe at 2223. Last week's CME to Euston was due at Crewe at 1935, and Euston 2227.

Andrew N

13. Shep Woolley

Shep Woolley Well-Known Member Friend

Retired
    48151 1b (4).jpg

Working away from Shap summit and immaculately turned out, 48151 ably assisted by Cl47 No. 47237 head today's 'Cumbrian Mountain Express' to Carlisle,
    Steve Chipperfield driving and Chris Holmes on the shovel.

48151 3b (3).jpg

With a mist covered summit of Pen-y-ghent in the background and the Little North Western line in the foreground the returning 'Cumbrian Mountain Express'
    approaches Settle Junction, Steve Chipperfield driving and Mike Middleton on the shovel

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  14. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    The diesel doesnt look out of place there, well done

Big Al likes this.
  15. nige757

nige757 Member

retired
    This morning outward leg at Beckfoot

16. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    The CME 21 July 2018 – 48151+47237 hauling 10+POB

I booked this trip several months ago when the planned loco was the Duchess and my chosen boarding point was Bolton (for a rarish trip via Chorley). The Duchess is being overhauled (back in September, I heard), NR are still b*ggering about with the electrification of the Manchester-Preston line and close it at every opportunity (NR’s latest completion date {a guess?}is November this year) and fire risk precautions have been in place for almost a month. Ah well, san fairy ann.

It rained last Monday and again on Friday but not enough, and there was even some light drizzle as I drove to Preston. The train arrived with 47746 “Chris Fudge” at the head of 10 coaches (I was in the 9th). We left 9L and reached a max of just over 90 north of Bay Horse, 72 through Lancaster and stopped in Carnforth loop 8L. 47746 was detached and 48151, 47237 and the POB were attached. (Galatea was the planned loco but was found to have an AWS issue on Friday and as 48151 was undergoing a steam test it was decided to use it instead. On Friday 10A had 4 locos in steam; 48151, 45699, 44871 and 45690). As we waited in the loop steam could seen as a loco(s) were moved in the yard.

We set off 4L thanks to TP, again!. Now this run had to be different, we had plenty of power but were limited to 50 mph. A brief summary of speeds; Yealand 42, Milnthorpe 45, Oxenholme 48, Grayrigg 45, Tebay 47 and Shap summit 40 (min 39). 7L at the summit and and still around 7L when we were stopped for 2½ mins approaching Penrith S Jn. This put us 11L through Penrith and with a 50 mph loco at the head we had no chance of reducing this. We stopped in platform 3 at Carlisle 14L.

Woodrow Wilson for lunch, pepperoni pizza, this had a nice thin crust, crispy on the outside but soggy in the middle. Off to the centre and down a side street to Galliano’s Ice Cream Parlour (be aware of limited weekday opening) for an ice cream; raspberry cheesecake in a waffle cone – excellent! A bit more mooching around and then back to the station.

We departed RT, unusually from platform 4 (now 3 back from the 47). With the help of the diesel, running in the high 40s to low 50s seemingly irrespective of the gradient, we arrived at Appleby 4E. Just time for another ice cream (Mrs W must not know!). We left 1½E and reached 48 by Ormside viaduct and were 5E at Ormside. We ran 6E all the way to Blea Moor SB. Speeds; Crosby Garrett 47, Kirkby Stephen 43, Mallerstang 48, Ais Gill 48. There was a 10 mph trundle across Batty Moss viaduct then a spirited run down the hill with the usual slow approach into Hellifield loop 3E.

We were RT away from Hellifield, and 6E through Horrocksford Jn and by Whalley we were 9E. We crossed the arches at 41, speed fell to 37 around Billington then we accelerated to 40 by Langho, we held 40 for most of the climb before easing to 36 thro’ Ramsgreave and Wilpshire (16½E) with 33 at the summit. We were 17E approaching Daisyfield Jn but were stopped for . . . 17 minutes! Straight through Blackburn whilst playing a tune on the whistle for the entertainment of the people on the platform. On thro’ Mill Hill, Cherry Tree, Pleasington and Bamber Bridge before curving to the right to join the WCML at Farrington Curve Jn. We were stopped for around a minute about a mile south of Preston waiting to cross to platform 3 where we arrived RT.

A quick look at the locos Steve Chipperfield appeared to have driven 48151 throughout, not sure who was firing (Chris Holmes north & Mike Middleton south?) or, who drove the diesels. @torgormaig of this parish was the guard on the northbound leg and he found time for a chat. I didn’t wait for the locos & POB to be detached and for another diesel to be attached to the south end of the train. A few minutes later as I was driving across Fishergate bridge a plume of smoke and steam appeared at the north side of the bridge as 48151, 47237 and the POB headed home – perfect timing!

Well maybe not what I would have wished for, but when was the last time you topped Shap at 40 behind an 8F pulling 11 coaches and a 47 (only joking, don’t want to upset our new “friend” from Devon). More seriously, the 8F was working, albeit gently, whilst travelling over the S&C; a tremendous amount of very fine ash made its way in through the open toplight and onto the table. The only other time that I have come across so much fine ash was when travelling behind Lord Nelson. Passing through Dent at the mandatory 30 mph Steve opened the regulator for about 4 or 5 exhaust beats to the delight of some boys standing on the platform.

Whilst the recent rain in the NW has “greened up” the fields and moorland, the rivers were low and some of the lineside vegetation remained as dry as the proverbial “dead dingo’s donger”. We need some more rain and soon. My next booked trip is 11 August on the Golden Express 1, with 60163 out of action Pathfinder Tours need to act quickly and decisively.

My thanks to all who planned and operated this trip in difficult circumstances; we sometimes take for granted the resources and adaptability of WCRC. I had a couple of good travelling companions from Silloth and Bamber Bridge – we put the world to rights.

A bit of latest news (for me at least), 6201s repairs are ongoing but as the work progresses other issues are being uncovered, 46115’s new middle cylinder is being machined and 44932’s boiler is being overhauled.

17. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Aided by a nondescript livery that matches the coaches rather than the minds of the many critics. :Resistanceisfutile:

henrywinskill likes this.
  18. pjhliners

pjhliners Member Friend

I haven't yet received my ticket for the CME this coming Saturday 4 August.

I'll be on to RTC first thing tomorrow,but does anyone else have any info?

Peter, on a thoroughly WET Manchester morning!

19. sgthompson

Tobacco manufacturing
    Something is moving to Carnforth from Shildon this Friday so maybe FS .

20. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

Sounds like it will be doing the 4th Aug CME, based on the blurb on the RTC web site.