If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Stanier 8F to Plymouth July 2nd

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 6136, Feb 7, 2011.

1. 6136

6136 Member

Thought this was worth it's own thread.
    Steam Dreams are planning a run with Tornado from London to Taunton and then splitting the train with Tornado onto the WSR and 48151 continuing to Plymouth. When was a Stanier 8 last over the South Devon banks? I know the Great Western had some 8F's in the war but has it happened recently? Anyway tickets booked for what I hope will be an entertraining run.

2. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hoping to be booked on this one too. Should be an epic run hopefully, enjoyed my trip with her over the S&C a few years ago. Hopefully more of the same!

3. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

Looks pretty complicated but good luck to them! How ridiculous can the "partitioning" of the train be. I'd imagine most enthusiasts will travel over the SD banks, so will that mean 60163 will take only its support coach and a couple of others and the WSR only takes on two coaches? Because all the classes are available to both destinations I'd imagine the stock will have to be specially rearranged as well.

4. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

The Stewards on the White Cliffs circular were taking about a new arrrangement of the classes for the this year with 2 combined Kitchen/buffets.

5. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

48773 worked a special Bristol to Plymouth in the late 1990's - a good run but a lineside fire curtailed the planned engine & coach move Plymouth to the SDR. The engine & coach had to be left at Laira.

48773 + 45110 worked both to Newquay from Bristol(?) & then back the next weekend from Penzance to Taunton again in the late 1990's.
    Both trips of course took in the Devon banks.

The locos were stabled at Bodmin between trips. The RAIN in Cornwall was so heavy & horizontal that NOBODY wanted to travel on the footplate of the locos tender first from St Blazey to PZ to pick up the return train - that was a first!

6. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Retired
    I also heard the crews saying that they were glad not to have GW engines on as the weather was appalling.
    Conditions were so bad on the A38 that some idiots just stopped where they were instead of pulling of thus causing some real hazards.

Cheers Dave

7. 6136

6136 Member

Yes, I'd forgotten that one. One tends to forget that Severn Valley loco's used to get around quite a bit.

8. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    Hoping to be on this one. We hopefully will be a doing a few runs with the 8F while it is down this way.

9. odc

odc Member

Network Technician at St Albans School
    I think 48151 itself was down in the late 80's/early 90's and ended up subbing for City of Wells on a train or two. Not sure if she got further than Salisbury though

10. blunder

blunder New Member

Its also Thomas weekend on the WSR that w/e.

11. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    I remember seeing 48151 at Yeovil Jct in 1989 on a run from Salisbury. I took some photos, must dig them out sometime.

12. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

It seems only a short while ago that Bradley Manor was unable to work west of Bristol due to it's 60 mph limit and now we have a 50mph loco being pathed on the West of England mainline! How times have changed..will sound good over those banks though.

13. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I think the Manors problem more was gauging and constant slowing to enforced speed restrictions as a result.

14. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Not really true. The last trip which was planned with 7802 in that area was to have been a Past Time one to Cornwall which was scuppered only by one clearance issue between Plymouth North Road Station and the Saltash Bridge.
    Timings were not seen as an issue for a 60 mph loco.

Dont forget that 48773 had previously been as far as PZ with similar 50 mph restriction.

15. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Retired
    If I remember 7802 unusually was passed for 75mph as was 80098 another 5' 8" loco David1984 I think is closer to the truth on this one.

Cheers Dave

16. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    That's torn it, everyone's going to want to go to Plymouth!

17. 6136

6136 Member

7802 was never fitted with the required gubbins to allow 75mph running. This included speedometer and AWS.
    I was on her last run to Plymouth and it ran, with dispensation, a couple days after the AWS requirement became mandatory and I remember being amazed that AWS hadn't been required for years.

18. 6136

6136 Member

Much as I like the WSR I can't imagine anyone not wanting to go to Plymouth anyway. On the other hand arriving at Minehead from Paddington with Thomas on the front would be novel. Or quickly take Tornado's blinkers on and affix a Gordon nameplate at Bishops Lyd ?

19. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Oh really?? - well what is that thingy on the drivers side graduated in MPH - and the stuff with a big notice on it reading "TPWS" then. These were certainly on it on wednesday this week still.

The speedo was fitted in 1995 ish and the TPWS in 2003. It was never fitted with OTMR though & was not suitable for NR work without it after spring 2007.

20. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

Indeed, why not: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiger955/2794078118/