If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steam loco's in the cold weather

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by John Petley, Feb 3, 2009.

1. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I would be interested if a member of any footplate crew on some heritage line or other (or the main line for that matter, I don't mind) could explain a technical detail to the not-so-technically-minded like me:-

I have noticed that when it's very cold it seems quite common for steam engines to be emitting a fair bit of steam from the cylinders. At first, when I saw it I assumed the engine in question had a steam leak of some sort. However, having observed it several times, always accompanied by a hissing sound and seen pictures of the same phenomenon in the railway press from various different engines in different locations, I can only guess that in some situations when the weather is cold, the cylinder cocks are kept open rather than closed before or soon after leaving a station.

Is my assumption correct, and if so, what is the reason for this? I would be most interested to know.

Thanks,

John

2. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

Are you sure it's from the cylinders, sounds like the steam heat to be honest. In any case cold weather makes any leaking glands etc show up really badly.

3. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Cold air has much less capacity to absorb moisture than warm air. Hence in cold weather you get a much more visible exhaust, and also any other steam emissions, leaks etc. So you might be seeing the cocks open, or possibly glands blowing etc. The former being below and to the front of the cylinders, the latter to the rear and central. You can't confuse the two.

4. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    Bear in mind also that cylinders will start colder and take longer to warm through in use, and will lose heat faster when the engine is stopped. The prudent driver will probably keep the taps open longer to ensure that condensation doesn't build up therein.

5. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Thanks everyone for enlightening me.